Likes Likes:  64
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White Smoke With Rough Idle And Missing Sound

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: White Smoke With Rough Idle And Missing Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Jhobbes04 View Post
    Akbob

So would buying the alpha software and an OBD plug be cheaper and easier than getting someone near me to diagnose it?

Or is that software pretty complex?

Also, I took a picture of my MM3 screen showing rail pressure.

I was trying to watch it climb, and it looked like it was pretty close till I saw the max recorded numbers.

See below

Attachment 13194
    Drain both fuel filters(rid of any possible remaining water) and replace both filters is what I'd do first. Does the smoke you're seeing smell like raw fuel? You'll notice a difference between the smell of burnt fuel(soot) and raw unburnt fuel(leaking injector). You can also check your oil to see if it's making oil(leaking injector(s)). Leaking injectors can end up doing more harm if it washes your cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I see your actual “Rail Pressure” is over 5,000psi below desired. Mine is usually within 300psi.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will shed some light on this.

If you go with Alfa ODB software, you will also need an ODBLink MX+ Bluetooth adapter, so you will be looking at around $160; however, we still need confirmation that it will perform the contribution test on your 2016.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are looking at the same pic or did I overlook one? His rail pressure is spot on between actual vs desired.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Drain both fuel filters(rid of any possible remaining water) and replace both filters is what I'd do first. Does the smoke you're seeing smell like raw fuel? You'll notice a difference between the smell of burnt fuel(soot) and raw unburnt fuel(leaking injector). You can also check your oil to see if it's making oil(leaking injector(s)). Leaking injectors can end up doing more harm if it washes your cylinders.

Are looking at the same pic or did I overlook one? His rail pressure is spot on between actual vs desired.
    Great advice Joe. On the rail pressure, I was looking at the Max (Yellow numbers) they are a little fuzzy but looks like the maximum RP-D = 27,530.0 psi but the maximum actual RP = 21,804.6 psi.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Great advice Joe. On the rail pressure, I was looking at the Max (Yellow numbers) they are a little fuzzy but looks like the maximum RP-D = 27,530.0 psi but the maximum actual RP = 21,804.6 psi.

Gotcha, I can't even make out the yellow LOL all I could see was his idling pressures. I was thinking to myself that bob must have the hookup on smoking the good stuff in AK LOL. Carry on nothing to see here

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Gotcha, I can't even make out the yellow LOL all I could see was his idling pressures. I was thinking to myself that bob must have the hookup on smoking the good stuff in AK LOL. Carry on nothing to see here
    Yes, I hear you. I had to download the photo in full size then zoom in.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Top Of Page | #25

thanks for help guys! It’s been about 2 weeks since the bottle of injector cleaner went in and it’s running great. I actually canceled my appointment at the shop because I figured a cut out test won’t tell me much now that it’s running fine. Didn’t want to waste $100 for them to tell me it’s running good. Hopefully that was the right decision.

the picture is blurry yes but it was several thousand psi off before. Now they stay within a few hundred psi. I’ve towed my boat several times since and have no symptoms of a bad/leaky injector. Once again just want to thank all of y’all for the quick responses and support.

9. Thanks AK Bob, Power247, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123