Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Smoke With Rough Idle And Missing Sound

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: White Smoke With Rough Idle And Missing Sound

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Thanks, I think a failed injector would also account for the actual rail pressure loss, correct?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, it will cause low rail pressure.

Op can do a cylinder disable with a scanner or pull the valve cover and disconnect individual injector harness till he finds the bad injector.

You should find which injector it is without capping the individual fuel lines on the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Yes, it will cause low rail pressure.

Op can do a cylinder disable with a scanner or pull the valve cover and disconnect individual injector harness till he finds the bad injector.

You should find which injector it is without capping the individual fuel lines on the rail.

Thanks for the help!

The only problem I see is that it’s hard to tell at idle that it’s off it sounds pretty normal if it’s not the first start of the day, and even then, it only lasts less than a minute.

I think the scanner would be the way to go.

Honestly, I’m tempted to buy 6 new injectors, maybe 30% over.

If I could isolate which one would it be wise to replace just the one or do all 6?

Think a bottle of Archoil injector cleaner would do anything?

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

I'd change the front and rear fuel filters(if applicable), and when replacing the front fuel filter, fill it up with some Stanadyne All-Season additive.

The first start-up will circulate some of that additive around in a heavy dose.

2018 RAM 2500 (G56) 4.10 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab GCM. TurboSmart Race Port BOV, Trans-Cool (using Hotshot Secret G56)

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

I would try new filters first. It’s definitely not unheard of to get bad fuel and ruin a new set of filters.

See it semi-frequently at work (case in tech).

I would find someone with a scanner and do a cut-out test if it’s running rough.

See which one makes none too little difference when cut out.

In my experience with insite (Cummins), balance tests, and easy (Iveco) don’t do much.

I had a tractor with an 8.3 recently that lost a valve seat on number 3; pass many tests it shouldn’t besides cutout.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

If you’re going to replace them, definitely do all 6.

I’ve had to try to cheap out and do one bite me numerous times down the road.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Hopefully, the cleaner will help.

If you need to replace an injector and your budget allows, it may be a good time to replace and upgrade.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Hopefully, the cleaner will help.

If you need to replace an injector and your budget allows, it may be a good time to replace and upgrade.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

So I put in a whole bottle of Archoil fuel system cleaner yesterday, and drove it to the pump, and put 20 gals in it.

I started smoothing out on my drive home.

Drove it to work today, and it seemed much better, the power is back, and it’s not having rough starts or white smoke.

I don’t want to say I’m in the clear yet, but it’s looking good.

I can’t believe a $25 bottle of “snake oil” did so much.

I’ve got an appointment with a local shop to do a cutout test.

Next week I think I’ll still go to it to be sure.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Ruffle Feathers here, but I don't care - I have seen & heard about similar results with a double or triple dose of Hot Shots Secret (Diesel Extreme)

These newer additives are NOT Miracles in a Bottle!

They are specifically produced/designed for preventive maintenance - If used regularly @ the proper dosage - I believe can eliminate or prolong a few possible future issues.

As long as your Selection of Fuel is the highest quality available and fuel filters & serviced on a schedule.

I won't hesitate to run any of these Quality Diesel Fuel Additives - Hot Shots Secret / Archoil / Opti-Lube / Alliant Power / Fuel Ox --> In no particular order.

This is only My own personal opinion - which most sensitive folks might find it to be a load of BS

But that's perfectly ok with me - it is what it is ---> A Opinion!

I'm at the age where my sensitivity filter is totally Worthless & Broke!

Now - I totally hope your shop report comes back with good news and you don't have to spend anymore $$$$.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

16. Thanks Murph, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Murph, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Ruffle Feathers here, but I don't care - I have seen & heard about similar results with a double or triple dose of Hot Shots Secret (Diesel Extreme)

These newer additives are NOT Miracles in a Bottle!

They are specifically produced/designed for preventive maintenance - If used regularly @ the proper dosage - I believe can eliminate or prolong a few possible future issues.

As long as your Selection of Fuel is the highest quality available and fuel filters & serviced on a schedule.

I won't hesitate to run any of these Quality Diesel Fuel Additives - Hot Shots Secret / Archoil / Opti-Lube / Alliant Power /FPPF --> In no particular order.

This is only My own personal opinion - which most sensitive folks might find it to be a load of BS

But that's perfectly ok with me - it is what it is ---> A Opinion!

I'm at the age where my sensitivity filter is totally Worthless & Broke!

Now - I totally hope your shop report comes back with good news and you don't have to spend anymore $$$$.
    I tend to agree with you. I’m hesitant to say the truck is cured.

I think the additives are just preventing the issue from showing itself right now.

The shop is scheduled for Wednesday so I’ll know more then.

If they say I’ve got a bad one, I’ll bite the bullet and get 6 new ones, but I’m gonna go ahead and upgrade to some 30 over or 60 over injectors if that’s the case.

18. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

If it’s running smoothly now, a cutout test won’t tell you much of anything.

It usually only works when you have a pretty rough idle, then killing the bad injector doesn’t change the sound much, whereas the good ones make it run much worse when cut.

YMMV, but that’s definitely been my experience.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, 1Welder1 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast