Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Rattling From The Flywheel Area

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rattling From The Flywheel Area

Hi,

I started the truck yesterday morning and noticed a strange rattling sound coming from underneath the truck.

It seems to be slightly louder in R and D, but it almost stops after cycling through the gears.

I have checked the TC bolts, and they are all tight.

I have not driven the truck since this happened.

I'm thinking maybe the Flex plate?

It seems strange to have parked up with no apparent issues and then started the next day with this.

No codes have been thrown.

Any ideas, friends?

Thanks for any help!

09 Quad cab, long bed, 4WD. Deleted, MM3 with DRD tunes, head studs, RevMax 550, Carli suspension, Buckstop Baha bumper, w/ Warn Power Plant winch. 35x12.50x17 Toyos.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rattling From The Flywheel Area

Man, something is definitely broken or came loose in there.

Hopefully, someone will chime in that has had this issue before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

By your signature, it looks like you’ve got a tuner, so you have the ability to crank up the HP’s, and you have a built transmission to take power.

Do you still have a stock flexplate?

I know these engines can tear out the inner portion of the flexplate with all the torque they can produce.

Assuming you went with a triple-disc converter when you upgraded to the Revmax tranny so that could definitely be the culprit if flexplate is still stock.

When that converter locks, I imagine it’s pretty hard on things.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, threadfin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes, I still have the stock Flexplate, so I'm hoping it's that and not the TC or trans.

09 Quad cab, long bed, 4WD. Deleted, MM3 with DRD tunes, head studs, RevMax 550, Carli suspension, Buckstop Baha bumper, w/ Warn Power Plant winch. 35x12.50x17 Toyos.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Well, back in the mid-'90s, my ‘78 Chevy 4X4, 454, TURBO 400 did that; it was caused by the rebuilt torque converter pushing the crank against the rear main bearing thrust surface.

I don’t know if Cummins has the same thrust surface on the rear main bearing as the Chevy (probably has something controlling the back & forth movement of the crank). Still, it wears it down & the flex plate starts hitting the bell housing, especially when accelerating.

If I remember right, it got so bad it would rattle slightly that even when idling.

If the TC isn’t broken or loose, it’s something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, threadfin thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quick update on this problem.

I pulled the tranny, and the flexplate is cracked, virtually right around all the bolt holes.

It was rubbing against the adapter plate, as you can see from the backside.

I have ordered a new flexplate and will update it once it's installed.

I hope that sorts it!

Thanks to all who posted.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update, and glad that it didn’t do any damage.

Did you bite the bullet on a billet flexplate this time around?

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins. RevMax built 68RFE "550" transmission w/ billet flexplate/low stall triple disc TC/direct oiling billet input shaft. 35"x12.50" Toyo Open Country AT2 tires on OEM 20" wheels, Thuren soft ride front springs, Thuren track bar, Thuren upper and lower control arms, Hellbent steering box brace, King 2.0 steering damper, Redhead steering box, Fox 2.0 shocks, Carli ball joints, Caterpillar fuel filter/Donaldson water separator, ARP 425 head studs, Viair onboard air compressor, airlift 5k# rear airbags, V4 LED headlights, Kenwood head unit

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I went with an SFI rated HD Flexplate.

All is good so far.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post