Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: I Got Stuck In 4th Gear!

1. Top Of Page | #1

I Got Stuck In 4th Gear!

So today, I changed my transmission oil and filters.

While I was at, I installed an ATS billet channel plate, with their billet accumulator pistons and thicker accumulator plate.

I also installed a Suncoast solenoid pack.

I downloaded new tunes from Ray to take care of all those transmission changes also.

So I got it all put back together, put in new fluid, and took it for a test drive.

It shifted great and then suddenly went into manual mode, shifted down to 4th, and then stayed in 4th.

No 1st, 2nd, 3rd at all.

At a complete stop, still in 4th, would not shift down.

I tried getting it out of manual mode, and it would not shut off.

So I drove it home in 4th from the shop at work (we have a lift) about 15 miles.

Shut it off and then started the truck again, and now it's out of manual mode and back to normal, I think.

Another thing was that on the MM3 monitor, the trans temp was stuck at 123.4, and the Trans pressure was stuck at 240.

When I started the truck after getting home, it went back to normal, showing 160 temps and 150-170 pressure.

I haven't gone for another test drive.

I want to wait to see what you all will suggest.

I do have alpha and, so I thought about a trans relearn.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2015 Ram 3500 SB CC SRW. Smeding Diesel 464/83 1.0 2nd gen swap, Pusher heater grid delete, Smeding full flow intake horn, 5" SS exhaust, Fleece Filter delete, Smeding CCV delete, Smeding coolant reroute, Sinister/Amsoil oil bypass filter, Bilstien 5100 shocks, 3'' level. TUNING BY DRD on MM3.
    Alpine ILX 259, Skar Audio Amps
    Skar Audio 6x9s all four doors, Skar 3.5 in dash
    Audio Control DQDX to make it all sound Awesome!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: I Got Stuck In 4th Gear!

So I checked and rechecked everything.

The fluid was down quite a bit.

I got it topped off and took it for a test drive.

In manual mode, I can stay in 5th, and it shifts “ok” I can feel some slippage between shifts.

It shifts all the way to 5th and no trouble codes.

When I shift to 6th, it downshifts back to 4th and goes into limp mode.

Damn.

The only thing I can think of is that the solenoid pack I installed could be a bad one.

It’s a Suncoast, but it looked used?

The bag was in had transmission oil all in it, and it had leaked out in the box; it was in getting it from Thoroughbred diesel, or I could have installed the accumulator springs wrong, but I don’t believe I did.

I’m out of ideas.

I might have to bite the bullet and get a new trans.

Lack of funds is hampering that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Ram 3500 SB CC SRW. Smeding Diesel 464/83 1.0 2nd gen swap, Pusher heater grid delete, Smeding full flow intake horn, 5" SS exhaust, Fleece Filter delete, Smeding CCV delete, Smeding coolant reroute, Sinister/Amsoil oil bypass filter, Bilstien 5100 shocks, 3'' level. TUNING BY DRD on MM3.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your transmission troubles.

It may be worth reinstalling the original solenoid pack to confirm that it is the issue.

Other 68RFE members, any ideas?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks rkf63k10, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Bud2723, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

How many miles on the transmission?

Mine did the same thing when I installed a Revmax VB, and worn-out OD clutches were the problem I had.

They can't handle the added trans pressure.

As soon as I got the trans replaced and installed the Revmax VB in the new trans, everything works perfectly.

I did leave the Mopar solenoid pack that came with the reman trans instead of the revmax solenoid pack I had installed previously.

The Revmax solenoid pack I got from Thoroughbred diesel was completely covered in trans fluid.

Try putting your old solenoid pack on and see if that makes a difference.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

My truck did the same thing.

It was after I changed the oil and filters.

So I took it to the dealer, and the valve body was bad, but they also said that the gasket for the filter in the pan had gotten pinched when I put it in.

This was letting the oil bypass the valve body.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

Well, after much thought, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and install a new transmission.

A diesel performance place where I live installs BD diesel transmissions.

The great warranty also.

I would have gone with Revmax, but after the research I’ve done, BD is a great company and build quality transmissions.

This is my daily driver and tow rig, so I don’t race much.

My only gripe is that I just bought new tunes for the setup I have.

Oh well!

I will remove the ATS billet channel plate, separator plate, billet accumulator pistons, and backing plates and put those up for sale.

Live and learn!

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

So I took the ATS billet stuff out and put the original solenoid pack back in, and the transmission is better but not great.

So I’m still going with a built transmission being installed.

I have 131+ miles on my truck, plus with all the mods, it just makes more sense to have a fresh and built transmission with all the mods.

So the ATS billet channel plate and accumulator pistons along with the separator plate are going up for sale.

I put less than 100 miles on them.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm having the same problem with my 2019.

Found transmission fluid not even on the stick.

The truck only had about 6000 miles.

I took it to the dealer to have it documented low fluid.

They say it was only 3/4 quart low.

Motor oil was also not on the stick.

2 quarts low in 6000 miles?

Now, as soon as I hit 4th gear, it goes into limp mode.

It's in the shop for a valve body replacement.

I waited 2 months for the part, and that didn't work.

Now they have to pull the transmission to check the clutches.

I was told the pan was clean, with no visible grit from clutches.

I'm thinking of selling it before I have to add a Revmax and the CP4 bull crap.

That's another $10,000.

Price of trucks today, I'll list it for $85,000 and see what happens.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post