Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cummins - Grid Heater Delete Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cummins - Grid Heater Delete Questions

So I was thinking about doing the grid heater delete.

I'm in the military, so I move a lot, and not too sure if I'll be stationed somewhere cold.

Does the delete help at all besides with pulling voltage?

Will it screw me over if I do it and then move somewhere cold?

Also, if I don't delete it, should I remove the intake and clean it every so often?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

The heater delete helps flow a little but nothing noticeable.

For the cold, it will vary. But it'll be a bit harder to get it going some days.

For the cleaning of the intake up to you, it's an easy item to clean.

Mine stays pretty clean but i spray water/meth in it.

2014 ram slt. 6.8L, s472, ddp supermental 150%'s, 12mm CP3, fleece powerflo, stage 2 d&j head, revmax 700,

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Depending on your mileage in stock form the grid heater may be restricting intake air due to carbon buildup.

You can inspect the condition using an endoscope without removing the intake plenum (see photos).

If not restricted and you are not making big HP, you will not see any benefit by removing it.

You will, however, eliminate the possibility of the “killer bolt” issue by removing it.

I live in Alaska, and if you get stationed here, you will want a functional grid heater.

I hope this information helps with your decision.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info!

I just read that they can get filthy, so I wasn't sure about cleaning them.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to Hawaii for the next 3 years but am trying for Alaska after, so that's really why I was contemplating it.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I deleted mine but live in the south.

I decided to address the 'killer bolt.'

‘17 Laramie MC 4x4 DRW, Blessed by DRD, Grid heater delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS thermo bypass, Mud Flaps

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I deleted my grid heater.

I read that if you keep your batteries healthy, you won't have a problem starting in the cold.

It just might take a few extra cranks.

I also added a Fass fuel heater disc to my lift pump to help counteract cold weather starts.

At least I believe it'll help.

Plus, you still got your block heater.

Go ahead and take it out; let that motor breathe!

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, 91bravo liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsForYa View Post
    I deleted my grid heater.

I read that if you keep your batteries healthy, you won't have a problem starting in the cold.

It just might take a few extra cranks.

I also added a Fass fuel heater disc to my lift pump to help counteract cold weather starts.

At least I believe it'll help.

Plus, you still got your block heater.

Go ahead and take it out; let that motor breathe!
    Man, I literally had no idea they came with build-in block heaters until you said that, and I looked it up. LOL

Welp, that thing is gone now, LOL.

Will it throw a code when deleted?

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

It will throw a code cause it can't communicate with the grid heater, but it's still operable.

If you have a tuner, you can get it into your tunes (like EFI Live) through your tuning supplier.

From what I know, it will not affect operation if not corrected.

Also, hold onto your grid heater in case things change and you end up needing it down the line.

'08 | G56 | Carli 3" | Carli Axle Truss | BDS Adjustable Traction Bars | BDS Steering Brace | Red-head Gearbox | Synergy HD Steering | Banks Cold Air Intake | Banks Intake Manifold | Steedspeed Exhaust Manifold | Grid Heater Delete | Fleece Cheetah Turbo | Fleece Fuel Filter Delete | Fass 165gph System | Fass Fuel Heater Disc | Fass Fuel Sump | EFI Live | Fuel Revolver Wheels | 35" BFG All-Terrains

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

It will throw a code cause It can't communicate with the grid heater, but it's still operable.

If you have a tuner, you can get it integrated into your tunes (like EFI Live) through your tuning supplier.

From what I know, it will not affect operation if not corrected.

Also, hold onto your grid heater in case things change and you end up needing it down the line.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast