Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Transfer Case In Limbo (2016 RAM 3500)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transfer Case In Limbo (2016 RAM 3500)

I wish there were a better story here, and it's a comedy of errors, so hopefully you'll be amused,

I broke my front driveline at the output plate - and now my transfer case is in limbo.

Here are some facts:
    • The yoke on the front driveline broke at the attach point to the transfer case output plate
    • The break was caused by 2 missing bolts (and the third one lose it appears) and then going under load
    • The transfer case was in 4L at the time
    • The transmission was in reverse when it broke
    • When the driveline broke, it rotated and gutted the transfer case wiring harness and other cosmetic underside damage (but I got lucky)
    • Break occurred at rest; basically, the truck was under load but not in motion, and it wasn't a running yank
    • Truck was on dirt

I'm sure you want to know more about the stupidity here, so a brief admission:
    • I was pulling in reverse because I was too lazy to reposition; that was the first mistake
    • I was pulling out a stump, which turned out to be less rotten and deeper than I thought, no reduction, wrong tool, mistake two (and three?)
    • The missing bolts appear to have been missing for a while, and I felt vibration recently, kicking myself for not tracking that down four

Okay, so here is the current situation:
    • Front driveline is removed
    • Truck is still in low range
    • Transfer case shift lever (manual) does not shift the transfer case. Has contact, the linkage is good, activates motors. Moves too easily.
    • Hand turning the output flange, you can feel the chain turning (I think that is what I feel: light tension, clicking but smooth)
    • Rear output is engaged, exercised F/R/N and different positions on transfer case lever (without front driveline attached)
    • I put the wiring harness back together - think that went fine, but if anybody suspects electrical, this might be a revisit
    • I have a new driveline, and 4 new bolts

So the transfer case feels like it's either garbage inside or just a bit confused.

Given that the driveline broke, I tend to think it didn't mulch the insides, and it's just between gears somehow, but before I tear into it, your thoughts, ideas, or jabs are welcome.

Attached are a couple of photos. If any video of the output shaft rotation (or sound) would help, let me know.

Thanks,
    Wade

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transfer Case In Limbo (2016 RAM 3500)

I would never jab - Hopefully, there is no internal damage done.

Without hearing the transfer case rotating - it might be hard to tell - unless you can easily rotate the cases shaft output housing & feel for smoothness & possibly a grinding sound or if it even turns at all - that would indicate a pretty easy

Good Luck with your findings - I hope it is an easy fix for ya.

My gut tells me it would be a slight miracle if there were not some damage done within the internals - but as I said - I hope you escaped with very minimal damage.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, wadeholmes thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

When you say you can turn the front output flange are the rear wheels off the ground?

If they are on the ground is T-case in low range and the flange turns either internals are toast or the T-case is actually in neutral.

Hard to tell from the picture but appears the shift lever might be bent?

Are there marks on it from the prop shaft hitting it?

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, wadeholmes thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well, good news.

I got the transfer case out, split the housing, and it's not as bad as it could have been.

The shift fork (if you call it that in a transfer case) broke when the yolk hit the shift lever (aemsee nailed the dinged lever).

I don't see any evidence of other damage - but if anybody has any cautionary advice, I'm all ears while it's open.

There is also that casing ding, anybody thinks that is cause to replace the casing?

Any mods while this thing is out worth considering?

Video of the rattle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YP_...ew?usp=sharing

Photo of the broken part attached.

Wade

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post