Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: 68RFE Trans 5-4 Hard Downshift

1. Top Of Page | #1

68RFE Trans 5-4 Hard Downshift

I just started today coming home from work.

Downshifts hard 5-4.

Upshifting is good.

I checked the fluid, and all is good.

It is time for a transmission oil and filter change though, just haven’t done it.

Any ideas what may be going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Ram 3500 SB CC SRW. Smeding Diesel 464/83 1.0 2nd gen swap, Pusher heater grid delete, Smeding full flow intake horn, 5" SS exhaust, Fleece Filter delete, Smeding CCV delete, Smeding coolant reroute, Sinister/Amsoil oil bypass filter, Bilstien 5100 shocks, 3'' level. TUNING BY DRD on MM3.
    Alpine ILX 259, Skar Audio Amps
    Skar Audio 6x9s all four doors, Skar 3.5 in dash
    Audio Control DQDX to make it all sound Awesome!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Trans 5-4 Hard Downshift

Depending on the miles, it could be a simple fluid change, could need a quick transmission to relearn, could be a few different things, unfortunately.

Just something to note while you are in there if you are doing it yourself, it's not a bad idea to replace the valve body, filter, solenoid pack, and plastic filter spin on screw upgrade to the steel.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I put a valve body on my truck at 99k miles for preventative measures while I was replacing the trans filters and fluid to make the 68RFE last a little longer, tranny didn't like the added pressure and slipped in 6th after the valve body install.

Long story short, I have a new transmission now.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

130k on mine.

I have a new billet valve body, accumulator pistons, and plate.

The thermal bypass also.

I’m going to try all of this first, and if it fails, so be it.

I want an Allison conversion anyway.

2015 Ram 3500 SB CC SRW. Smeding Diesel 464/83 1.0 2nd gen swap, Pusher heater grid delete, Smeding full flow intake horn, 5" SS exhaust, Fleece Filter delete, Smeding CCV delete, Smeding coolant reroute, Sinister/Amsoil oil bypass filter, Bilstien 5100 shocks, 3'' level. TUNING BY DRD on MM3.
    Alpine ILX 259, Skar Audio Amps
    Skar Audio 6x9s all four doors, Skar 3.5 in dash
    Audio Control DQDX to make it all sound Awesome!

8. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The dealership covered my transmission, so I had them throw a DPC triple disc torque converter and billet flex plate on while the trans was out, as well as swap the Revmax torque converter on the new trans.

My transmission was fine before the valve body installs with 0 issues until I put the valve body on, and my OD clutches said ye, a no.

2017 RAM 2500 Big Horn sport appearance package, Auto Level Rear Suspension, MM3 "switch" Fully deleted - tuned by DRD, Fleece Cheetah, Airaid Jr. CAI, 3.5" Banks Monster intake horn, Pusher Boost Tubes, 5" TBE with a Flo~Pro Twister muffler, *** EGR disappear kit, Black Market Performance CAT fuel filter and water separator, Black Market Performance fuel heater, Black Market Performance head studs, AFE deep trans pan, Revmax trans cooler bypass, Revmax HD Valve Body, DPC Low stall converter with billet flywheel, AFE pro series rear diff cover, Amsoil throughout provided by mcsynthetics.myamsoil.com

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    I put a valve body on my truck at 99k miles for preventative measures while replacing the trans filters and fluid to make the 68RFE last a little longer tranny didn't like the added pressure and slipped in 6th after the valve body install.

Long story short, I have a new transmission now.
    I’d put money on the valve body that got installed had a worn solenoid switch valve.

Extra line pressure is always beneficial.

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    I’d put money on the valve body that got installed had a worn solenoid switch valve.

Extra line pressure is always beneficial.

Doubt it; the valve body and solenoid pack were brand new.

I’m using them on my new trans, and they work flawlessly.

My OD clutches were the culprit; I only slipped in 6th under load with the added line pressure.

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

68RFE Trans 5-4 Hard Downshift

Quote Originally Posted by MC250r719 View Post
    Doubt it, the valve body and solenoid pack were brand new. I’m using them on my new trans and they work flawless.

My OD clutches were the culprit, only slipped in 6th under load with the added line pressure.

Ahh I read it as you used different valve body in the new trans.

Any who I’ve seen brand new (not reman) anodized valve bodies fail vacuum test on the ssv out of the box.

16. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Did you ever find out what was going on with you're 5-4 downshift, as I’m having the same issue?

18. Likes Corkey, AK Bob liked this post