Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: 2018 RAM 3500 - DPF Sensor Problem - CEL P24C9

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 RAM 3500 - DPF Sensor Problem - CEL P24C9

Scanner says Particulate Filter Sensor.

It's been on for about a week.

The truck runs fine. However, my cts3 shows soot at 45g and DPF OFF even after about 6hrs of hwy driving 75-80 mph last weekend.

I am afraid that it is not Regening, but I can't tell if it's related to the bad sensor of just the truck acting normally cause it's not been under a load recently.

Dealer said $700+ to repair/replace the sensor, but it's on backorder, so I am basically stuck having to drive the truck every day with the CEL on and not knowing if I'm clogging the DPF!!

If I'm gonna spend 700 for a stupid sensor that the truck doesn't even need or like, I may as well look into a delete.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Honestly, that is probably questions for your prospective tuner.

If they're good.

Unless someone here knows the exact trigger sets for Regen.

Can anyone verify if the DPF system has any fault, it will abort Regens?

What soot load is considered over the mark?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I stole this for the good of the community LOL.

RAM DTC P24C9

Make: RAMCode:P24C9Definition: Particulate Matter Sensor Temperature Circuit HighDescription: The Particulate Matter (PM) Sensor is used to determine the efficiency of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) by measuring the amount of particulate matter (soot) remaining in the exhaust gas after the DPF. The PM Sensor is located at the outlet of the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Catalyst and consists of a probe and module which cannot be replaced separately of each other and must be replaced as a unit. The module communicates and shares information with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the J1939 Data Link. The probe contains three internal parts: a heater, a temperature sensor, and a set of particulate measuring electrodes with a high electrical resistance. During normal operation, the module will activate the heater and perform a Regeneration of the electrodes to burn off any deposited soot before taking a measurement. After sensor Regeneration is complete, soot particles from the exhaust gas are then collected onto the electrodes and form conductive paths between the electrodes leading to a drop of the electrical resistance. The decreased resistance results in an increased current across the electrodes, which is compared against calibrated thresholds to determine sensor functionality and DPF efficiency.Cause:

FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT CIRCUIT (SCR RELAY 2 CIRCUIT) SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

GROUND CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE

PARTICULATE MATTER (PM) SENSOR

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk