Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPS S467.7 Turbinator For The 6.7L Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DPS S467.7 Turbinator For The 6.7L Cummins

Hey fellers,

Is anyone out there running a second-gen swap with an S467.7 VGT turbonator?

If so, how do you like it?

What kind of power and boost are you making?

And most important, does it sound good, turbo whistle?

Seriously though, if I'm running an s400, i want it to sound like a 747 just left the runway, LOL!

I'm looking at this setup for my tow rig, trying to stay around the 700 rwhp range on max effort but keep as much drivability as i can.

The little lady still has to pull her horses around with it without having to worry about melting the truck down while I'm tied up at the shop.

Thanks, Zach

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DPS S467.7 Turbinator For The 6.7L Cummins

This is an interesting route for sure.

I'm sure the drivability is great, turning the S467 into a VGT - but that is a very expensive turbo.

Your 700hp goal (is truck stock or already modded for 700??) would be the only hang-up, but if I were sticking to VGT, I'd get a Fleece Cheetah and drop it in on stock manifold, without the need for the 2nd Gen Swap.

Another option that will probably be suggested - still not 700hp, but a fixed vain S464 on the 2nd Gen swap would be a much cheaper way to go and still get excellent power and drivability for a tow rig.

Just my 2 cents, I plan to do a 2nd gen swap with a fixed S467.7, so to each their own.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The truck is currently only deleted and tuned via MM by Motor Ops with a 5-inch stainless exhaust.

It is for sure an expensive charger, but the Cheetah isn’t cheap either, although.

I have considered that route along with Tater built 64 as well, all great products, but I’d like to do something different with this truck than the run of the mil drop-in.

The build sheet I’m working on for this truck is fully built trans with a baby maker 1000 valve body, d&j stage 1 head with heavy springs and tubes, 10mm exergy pump, 100% nuzzles, fass 165, banks intake horn, steed speed exhaust manifold, and charger is still debatable at this point LOL, along with some other goodies, fleece plenum, coolant bypass, studs, etc...

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Would love to see some feedback.

I'm at adding the DPS mechanical VGT housing to my S464.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 CCLB Laramie
    Stealth64/S480
    68RFE
    CTG tuned

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm a little late here, but did you go with that VGT housing on your second Gen?

What's your opinion on it?

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

My 2015 truck had a WCFAB 2nd Gen swap 369SXE when I got it a couple of years ago.

I was happy with it until I started frequently towing 12000-15000 pounds all over the country.

I switched to GDP tuning with EZ Lynk at the same time I started towing a lot, so I can't be sure that my issues come from improper turbo sizing because I dioverlookedost issues until I went to GDP tuning.

The truck performs terrible towing in stop-and-go traffic.

I hardly ever see boost pressure unless I'm on a wide-open interstate.

Unless I get under enough load to cause a downshift which makes boost pressure go from nothing to 36+ pounds immediately

That being said, I'm deciding between removing my 2nd Gen swapping and starting over with compounds costly starting from an already 2nd Gen truck or VGT Turbonator housing on my second gen swap.

What are your opinions?

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Also, I forgot to add this third option diesel power source offered.

They claimed it would bolt to my 2nd Gen manifold without any other mods.

This is a copy and paste of the message from them.

Our full Compound kit with a 64/71VGTe with exhaust braking over S480 is $6,199.00 (price includes shipping).

Our full Compound Turbo kit increases horsepower by about 25%, decreases EGTs by 300-400 degrees, and runs great on the 6.7L Cummins.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jsexton22 View Post
    My 2015 truck had a WCFAB 2nd Gen swap 369SXE when I got it a couple of years ago.

I was happy with it until I started frequently towing 12000-15000 pounds all over the country.

I switched to GDP tuning with EZ Lynk at the same time I started towing a lot, so I can't be sure that my issues come from improper turbo sizing because I dioverlookedost issues until I went to GDP tuning.

The truck performs terrible towing in stop-and-go traffic.

I hardly ever see boost pressure unless I'm on a wide-open interstate.

Unless I get under enough load to cause a downshift which makes boost pressure go from nothing to 36+ pounds immediately

That being said, I'm deciding between removing my 2nd Gen swapping and starting over with compounds costly starting from an already 2nd Gen truck or VGT Turbonator housing on my second gen swap.

What are your opinions?
    If all you're looking to do is tow and not hot rod (it sounds like the rest of your truck is stock), the most cost-effective thing to do would be to swap in a smaller S300 SXE and get a retune.

You'll also get to keep that nice-looking WC fab kit.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You feel like a full turbo downsize will be cheaper with better results than just going to a.

VGT turbonator housing on the turbo I have?

I do a lot of towing long distances, but when not traveling, most of my miles are still on the interstate, just with no load.

I'm trying to balance towing without too much strain on the truck and enjoy driving it when I'm not working.

I have lifetime tuning with GDP, so getting a return is no issue.

No cost issue, at least, and getting GDP on the phone and getting the tune from them is a different story.

One more side note you mentioned about the WC Fab kit: I frequently have issues with it are constant boot and t-bolt adjustment due to boost leaks from misalignment between my turbo and intercooler.

I've tried clocking the housing and switching from WC fab boots to high-pressure silicone to silicone intake.

Different brands and different lengths seem not to make much difference.

The other issue is my air filter of the WC Fab is not in a box due to room under the hood, so the fan and belt throw dirt, dust, and debris directly onto the air filter, causing it to need cleaning much more often than most.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the turbonator VGT housing on a similar size turbo.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jsexton22 View Post
    You feel like a full turbo downsize will be cheaper with better results than just going to a.

VGT turbonator housing on the turbo I have?

I do a lot of towing long distances, but when not traveling, most of my miles are still on the interstate, just with no load.

I'm trying to balance towing without too much strain on the truck and enjoy driving it when I'm not working.

I have lifetime tuning with GDP, so getting a return is no issue.

No cost issue, at least, and getting GDP on the phone and getting the tune from them is a different story.

One more side note you mentioned about the WC Fab kit: I frequently have issues with it are constant boot and t-bolt adjustment due to boost leaks from misalignment between my turbo and intercooler.

I've tried clocking the housing and switching from WC fab boots to high-pressure silicone to silicone intake.

Different brands and different lengths seem not to make much difference.

The other issue is my air filter of the WC Fab is not in a box due to room under the hood, so the fan and belt throw dirt, dust, and debris directly onto the air filter, causing it to need cleaning much more often than most.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the turbonator VGT housing on a similar size turbo.
    I don't see the point of adding the complexity of a VGT housing, it's just a bandaid for your oversized turbo.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast