Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 RAM 5500 Battery Saver Mode

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 RAM 5500 Battery Saver Mode

I got one here where even the dealer is at a loss. 2 visits from chrysler reps and even a special chrysler engineer visit still no work

the back story

ram 5500 totally stock never had a thing done to it besides service. Truck does a lot of towing and has racked up 24K miles since we bought it new a year ago. (yes 2018 left over)
    so now we have battery saver mode. and for those of you that don't know, it shuts off the radio, disables high beams, AND EVEN KILLS TRAILER BRAKES OFF

Troubleshooting:
    disconnect charge and test batteries: done both tested okay but not perfect
    leave truck with nothing plugged in and batteries disconnected overnight left batteries on float charger still did it within 5 minutes of start up

brought to dealer (warranty)
    tested and found both batteries okay, left sit overnight again and got same result, dealer replaced both batteries No Change

Dealer has 3 trucks there with same issue, put a PCM in ours, said it was good.... well we went to pick it up and it showed the battery saver message again.

(I work for a Cummins Authorized facility) pulled up on the Cummins system documentation showing a 12Volt 6.7L ISB should have at least 1800CCA's and provided this to dealer. (truck has dual 760 CCA) Dealer said they may try this but will need special permissions to warranty this.

I have googled up and down and not seen much about this. Given that this truck's life is pulling a 6000 lbs trailer with a 13000 to 18000 lbs street sweeper on it, I need to know its fixed and fixed right. I am willing to try any ideas ya'll may have.

other things to note:

outside temperature does not seem to matter.
    voltage at start will hover around 12V for about 30 seconds then jump up to 14. (my 2011 and the other 2018 at work does the same thing)
    You can watch the grid heater cycle via the voltage gauge. even after grid heater has cycled, the battery saver mode is still on.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

How about testing:

System voltage after starting with the message displayed.

If you have a decent voltmeter that reads tenths of volts?

Disconnect negative off each terminal and check resistance between positive and ground.

It should be open.

What happens if you leave the charger on after starting?

Is the message still there?

Would work loan you two 900cca or better batteries for testing?

2018 srw 3500

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

May also want to pull the grid heater relay or check if it is pulling current after the truck is warm or off.

2018 srw 3500

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crshanta View Post
    How about testing:

System voltage after starting with the message displayed. If you have a decent voltmeter that reads tenths of volts?

Disconnect negative off each terminal and check resistance between positive and ground. Should be open

What happens if you leave the charger on after starting? Is the message still there?

Would work loan you two 900cca or better batteries for testing?
    We don't have bigger batteries at the office. My personal truck has dual 1100 CCA in it.

If you leave the battery charger on it after it starts, ours is new enough it senses the alternator charging and kicks off.

Damn New Crap.

I hadn't thought of that, and I may try with jumpers tomorrow.

The system voltage never drops below 10.8 when starting (draw of starter plus grid heater?) in the below-freezing temps with the grid heater.

My 2016 would show that when starting in similar conditions, and as soon as it was started, it would return to 12.X. This truck does the same.

Everything that is an action of this 2018 has been compared to a 2nd identical truck the company owns and my 2011.

Of the 3 trucks, only 1 has this issue, and it's the newest of them all (to us newest); my 2011 is 127K miles, and our other 2018 is at 71K miles.

My old 2016 (I still have all logging from on file) has 108K when wrecked.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Last idea.

Has the alternator checked out?

Measure current in one of the other trucks and compare to “problem” one.

2018 srw 3500

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Could also be the “Intelligent Battery Sensor” on the drivers side negative post.

Just wondering if that has been tested or replaced?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The alternator current has been verified and is good.

The intelligent battery crap was "isolated and tested" by the dealer, so maybe, but not sure.

The truck is back at the dealer now, but they even asked my help to answer the problem.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 RAM 5500 Battery Saver Mode

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    The alternator current has been verified and is good.

The intelligent battery crap was "isolated and tested" by the dealer, so maybe, but not sure.

The truck is back at the dealer now, but they even asked my help to answer the problem.
    Can you not just take off or disable the battery sensor?

If it is not there to say that there is a problem, then there is no problem, LOL.

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasm12 View Post
    Can you not just take off or disable the battery sensor? If it is not there to say that there is a problem, then there is no problem, LOL.
    Good question, the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) reports to the Engine Control Module (ECM), and depending on what it senses; the ECM will go into “Battery Saver Mode” (BSM).

Not sure what the ECM will do if it receives no input from the IBS.

I would imagine it would go to BSM.

Does anyone know for sure?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasm12 View Post
    Can you not just take off or disable the battery sensor? If it is not there to say that there is a problem, then there is no problem. LOL,
    No, for a couple of reasons.

1 This truck is commercial and gets the heavy inspections and roadside inspected regularly as per FMCSA Guidelines
    2 There is more than just unplugging the IBS due to its inclusion in other circuits like the trailer brakes.
    3 Other maintenance regulations would not be followed, as the issue is already documented in logs for the vehicle.

It would fall under the modifying of the factory wiring harness to act differently from originally intended.

TLDR this truck is suspect to FMCSA regulations for commercial vehicles and must be repaired, no shortcuts.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast