Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Fan Clutch Conversion

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fan Clutch Conversion

I just got my truck running after doing quite a bit of maintenance - the AC compressor locked up, and while I was up front, I replaced a lot.

One of the things I replaced was the fan clutch with an aftermarket unit.

Well, some of you probably know what happened there.

The wires got into the fan somewhere around 150 miles after I installed it.

They ripped outright at the fan clutch and were up against the block, throwing all kinds of codes, and ultimately took the truck down until I unplugged the wire.

I've called a local shop and done some research, and apparently, this is how it goes with aftermarket fan clutches. I'd really rather have an old-school fan clutch in there and not worry about a wire 1/4" away from a fan.

I've seen https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...e-cummins.aspx, and while it does allow the use of a mechanical fan, it's a Ford.

It also replaces the factory fan pulley assembly to account for the difference in the thread size/pitch, so I'm not sure if it uses standard bearings that can be replaced as they wear out.

I'm curious if anyone has been able to modify a 12v fan clutch to work with the 6.7L.

I see the 12v fan is a 4 bolt, where the 6.7 uses a 6 bolt fan, which can be fixed with an adapter plate.

I cannot find the thread specs on the 12v to know if it's the same size/pitch.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fan Clutch Conversion

I decided to swap to the Ford 7.3 fan clutch using the Diesel Power Products adapter.

I rounded out a couple of the small bolts holding the pulley to the adapter, so I left the secondary fan shroud off until I get the replacements in.

So far, the truck seems to warm up a little faster, and it's staying just as cool.

Last night I pulled a skid steer, and the temp didn't raise much - granted, I didn't have far to pull it, but it was up a hill, then on the way back, I floored it to get the temps up and add a little load.

It seems to be doing better than the stock fan clutch.

I'm using the Hayden 2835 fan clutch, which is a severe-duty clutch.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post