Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Noise From Engine Compartment

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: New Noise From Engine Compartment

Check wheel liners in front; I had a noise like that and found a liner rattling when going down the road at speed.

Bolt came loose.

It only happened when at speed going down the road and hitting a bump.

Tightened with some lock tight and fixed the problem.

Also, check steering links.

Had a problem with that too.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Opie15 View Post
    Not sure if I'm doing this right,and its very hard to hear in video but here we go https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/60889bad...427_184754.mp4

2015 cummins 2500 crew cab w/ rf 68 s&b cold air,mbrp stainless 4" w/ muffler,mm3 tuner from double r diesel,xdr throttle valve delete,xdr egr delete,shibby plug kit, traxda 3.5"/2" lift, 20x12 hostile wheels w/35" amp at/g tires
    Couldn’t open the link.

It gave me a warning not to open because it was not secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Couldn’t open the link.

It gave me a warning not to open because it was not secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I made a short video but when I went to upload it said format not supported and it converted it to a different format so I'm probably doing something wrong

2015 cummins 2500 crew cab w/ rf 68 s&b cold air,mbrp stainless 4" w/ muffler,mm3 tuner from double r diesel,xdr throttle valve delete,xdr egr delete,shibby plug kit, traxda 3.5"/2" lift, 20x12 hostile wheels w/35" amp at/g tires

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Does it only do it at idle? Guess I should have asked that first LOL
    I cant tell if it does it driving or not if it is its so subtle I can't hear it inside cab

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I cant tell if it does it driving or not if it is its so subtle I can't hear it inside cab

You should try with A/C running vs. not running and see if it changes the sound any.

If so, it could be a tensioner.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

You should try with A/C running vs. not running and see if it changes the sound any.

If so, it could be a tensioner.
    Actually, I did try this, and it somewhat goes away (not completely).

Also, I tried something I saw on a YouTube video: while the truck was running, I sprayed a little oil on the pulley bearing (Idler pulley and then tensioner); when I did the tensioner pulley, the noise got quieter, that was last night.

Today it is not making the noise at all. (Thinking it had overnight to soak in).

So my next question, I think what I'm going to do is order a new tensioner, idler pulley, and belt thinking about the Gates Brand from Geno's.

Any input on if this is a quality product, or should I stick with Cummins for the pulleys?

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I would rock on with the gates equipment.

They have always seemed to work well when used as replacement parts.

If you look at rockauto.com you can get the same gates parts about $10 to $20 cheaper per part (I just looked and compared to genos).

I've been using rockauto for parts for quite some time now and haven't had any issues.

Will also save you some bucks.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

14. Thanks Opie15, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I would rock on with the gates equipment. They have always seemed to work well when used as replacement parts. If you look at rockauto.com you can get the same gates parts about $10 to $20 cheaper per part (I just looked and compared to genos).I've been using rockauto for parts for quite some time now and haven't had any issues. Will also save you some bucks
    Thank you for the info will definitely check them out as well.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I would rock on with the gates equipment.

They have always seemed to work well when used as replacement parts.

If you look at rockauto.com, you can get the same Gates parts about $10 to $20 cheaper per part (I just looked and compared to Geno's).

I've been using RockAuto for parts for quite some time now and haven't had any issues.

It will also save you some bucks.
    So the parts from RockAuto came in today.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

So the parts from RockAuto came in today.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...49ab6c8d56.jpg

Nice.. looks good.. i ordered the same belt for mine but I haven't installed yet.. let us know if it takes cares of the problem you were having.

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast