Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Fan Clutch - MAP Sensor?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Fan Clutch - MAP Sensor?

Have 2012 3500 Longhorn about 97,000 miles and deleted.

I'm using an MM3 tuner.

My fan clutch is pretty much matching my rpm's while driving around town.

Fan clutch was replaced about 2 years ago.

My thought process and troubleshooting tell me that the PCM is seeing a high temp somewhere and is commanding more fan speed. Now hold that thought.

In the MM3, I found a PID called "Intercooler outlet temp" The reading I'm getting is around 180-230F degrees.

Upon researching, it seems to be the MAP sensor. I unplug it, and the reading pegs at 392F, and when I reconnect it, it goes back down to 180-230F.

It's cold here today, and before starting the motor with just the key on and sensor removed and still connected, I was reading 151F, and it is 50F outside.

Here is my question: Does this sensor heat up to read air pressure like a MAF sensor?

Or should it read the actual temps going through the intake plenum?

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fan Clutch - MAP Sensor?

Mot sure but at full temp cruising i85 mine reads~120

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    Mot sure but at full temp cruising i85 mine reads~120

Mine is higher now around 160-180F in 50F outside.

I just installed a new Mopar sensor yesterday which brought the temps down a little. I still don't understand why it reads so high on a cold engine and removed from the intake???

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Agree my MM3 is showing that my Intercooler Outlet Temperature starts at around 52*F and reaches 123*F when engine is up to normal operating temperature. Not sure where the MM3 is getting this information from. When I monitor my fan rpm with the MM3 it also tends to follow the engine rpm but does confirm it’s spinning faster at higher coolant temperatures.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Agree my MM3 is showing that my Intercooler Outlet Temperature starts at around 52*F and reaches 123*F when engine is up to normal operating temperature. Not sure where the MM3 is getting this information from. When I monitor my fan rpm with the MM3 it also tends to follow the engine rpm but does confirm it’s spinning faster at higher coolant temperatures.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

So next is ro determine if this is simulated data compiled from sensors and predetermined mapping or if there is such a sensor. Sadly it is raining pretty hard here.

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    So next is ro determine if this is simulated data compiled from sensors and predetermined mapping or if there is such a sensor. Sadly it is raining pretty hard here.

Correct, I agree.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

This is the Map sensor located on the side of the intake manifold.

If you unplug it, you should see the "Intercooler outlet temp" if you have the correct PID peg to 392 degrees.

There a few intercoolers temp to read; make sure your PID says IC-OT.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Badger2078 thanked for this post