Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  127
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Audio System Replacement

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Complete Audio System Replacement

As mentioned in a previous post, I decided to replace the entire system.

I had to watch a youtube video to help me visualize what I will be doing and what I will need.

That link will be posted at the bottom.

You will notice in the attachment that I didn't show how I am wiring the component speakers.

I don't know how I want to do that just yet. I have an 8 channel amp on the way for that and don't know if I feel like running new wire.

They aren't overly powerful although they are good enough to take advantage of an amplifier.

Significantly better than stock.

I will most likely use the existing wires, though.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

EDIT 1: I forgot to mention that I already have the speakers, subs, amp, and installation kits/components.

I did the math on everything already by researching online so I have the correct cable types, cable gauges and fuses.

Drawing out the system and watching that video actually made me realize there were some better ways to do things and that I was actually missing a few things.

I went ahead and ordered them.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Complete Audio System Replacement

Just one suggestion if you haven’t already considered it I would suggest the appropriate amperage rated relay on the battery feed between the fuse and the distribution box power, triggered by ACC power so the ignition needs to be on for the amps to power up.

Just to prevent draining the batteries if the system is accidentally left turned on when parked overnight.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes Mortifera, SyN, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That is now my next project.

That’s why I posted here!

Thanks for the tip.

That would have sucked if I’d have missed that.

I do have like a 30 foot roll of blue wire labeled (remote) wire.

Is that what you mean?

I also have a power module that’s designed for cars like police cruisers with tons of electrical accessories that I can program and install.

It was purchased a few years ago for a project that never went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Not sure about the blue remote wire.

I was just concerned about avoiding direct power from the batteries to the amps even when the ignition is turned off.

Maybe your power module incorporates this function with the blue remote wire.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes Mortifera, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This looks like a fun project!

Do you mind listing your various equipment (heading, amps, etc)?

There are a few of us on here that have done some audio builds and knowing your hardware would help us make further recommendations.

Looking forward to following along.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Pioneer W8600NEX

JL all around
    C2-350x Dash Corners (disconnecting center)
    C3-525 Front and Rear Door
    C5075 Headliner
    Two 12” TW3-D4 (Shallow mount 4 Ohm)
    HD750/1 for subs
    VX800/8i for midrange

The only problem is I was still waiting for the VX800 to arrive and I just received an email from good ole crutchfield that the new date is 5 May so I am looking into other options.

If May 5th rolls around and they tell me it is still delayed I will not be able to start this project until middle of August due to a field trip I am going on to Australia this summer.

Looking at their HD lineup, now.

I was only going to tune the line coming from the VX800 to the HD750 to send the right signals to the sub amp with my computer.

Since I am replacing the head unit, would a DSP still be worth it?

My understanding is that there are some very smart and capable DSP’s out their that could power my midrange setup and it would fit behind my dash.

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

A childhood friend who installs professionally got back to me and said cancel the order. Said not to panic.

Just get the TwK-88, XD800/8v2 and run the 80 AMP inline fuse from distro box as planned, and it will be the VX800 in a 2-piece package.

Change of cost is zero dollars, so I am good with it.

That VXi would have looked hot, though.

Manit'ss a sharp amp.

Edit: Truth be told, he recommended something else entirely different, but since I wanted to stay JL, it was what we came up with.

It was a setup by "audio-something-or-other..."

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    Pioneer W8600NEX

JL all around
    C2-350x Dash Corners (disconnecting center)
    C3-525 Front and Rear Door
    C5075 Headliner
    Two 12” TW3-D4 (Shallow mount 4 Ohm)
    HD750/1 for subs
    VX800/8i for midrange

The only problem is I was still waiting for the VX800 to arrive and I just received an email from good ole crutchfield that the new date is 5 May so I am looking into other options.

If May 5th rolls around and they tell me it is still delayed I will not be able to start this project until middle of August due to a field trip I am going on to Australia this summer.

Looking at their HD lineup, now.

I was only going to tune the line coming from the VX800 to the HD750 to send the right signals to the sub amp with my computer.

Since I am replacing the head unit, would a DSP still be worth it?

My understanding is that there are some very smart and capable DSP’s out their that could power my midrange setup and it would fit behind my dash.

The Pioneer is a nice unit. Plenty of features built right in.

That 8ch amp looks sweet but going with separate amps for the highs and mids gives you more flexibility.

If you plan on using the preamp outputs off the HU to feed the amps then DSP is not really necessary unless you are really into that sort of thing.

Quality amps these days have enough EQ tuning available that a modern DSP just doesn't add that much.

While I was into all that when I was younger, I find DSPs too fussy and not much improvement for how I listen to music now.

Now, if you were keeping the factory HU then a DSP could make a huge improvement.

Your drawing shows pulling the signal for the mono amp off the 8ch amp.

Using the sub preout off the HU gives you control of the bass along with all other audio settings without affecting the signal to the rest of your speakers.

I'm curious of the benefit in your plan?

Greg
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

16. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Currently reworking the diagram, but the short answer is that when I was researching, I found that a few of these installers were using the DSP-equipped multi-channel amps also to send signals to their sub amps.

I liked the simplicity of the idea.

Now, I am leaning more towards separate amps for the different components.

I have space, and I certainly have the power, so why not?

I liked that suggestion.

18. Likes AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    While I was into all that when I was younger, I find DSPs too fussy and not much improvement for how I listen to music now.
    I am certainly not getting younger, but I have always wanted to completely rework a system with my favorite brand on my own.

I probably won't do it again after this, but it will be fun.

20. Likes AK Bob, Power247, Murph liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast