Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  127
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Audio System Replacement

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Complete Audio System Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    Ok, here is the latest and greatest. Still working an issue with the subs and box but I'd like to start on the install this weekend. I had to replace my old soldering iron and get some other things before I could start but most of my stuff is in. Any tips for running the amp cable through firewall would be great. Currently, the plan is to go through the plastic plate and I have some items to seal it up.
    The block off plate in the firewall is good.

You could also run the cable along the frame rail, tucked up by the fuel lines, and drill out one of the drain plugs in the floor at the back of the cab.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Mortifera thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Ok, here is the latest and greatest. Still working an issue with the subs and box but I'd like to start on the install this weekend. I had to replace my old soldering iron and get some other things before I could start but most of my stuff is in. Any tips for running the amp cable through firewall would be great. Currently, the plan is to go through the plastic plate and I have some items to seal it up.
    Running through the firewall is very easy, assuming you don't have a manual.

I ran 4 gauge wire through the plastic block-off plate where the clutch cable would run.

It's perfect for it because the driver's side battery is right there, and you just run the cable under your kickboards to wherever your amp is going to be.

It's easiest to take the plate off, i think it is two bolts, and then you can drill right through it and file off any rough bits, but i have squeezed a drill down to it from the engine bay.

As far as the batteries go, i am not entirely sure of the deep cycle route.

My understanding of a car audio system is that everything besides the alternator is a load on your system, including batteries.

Capacitors are the same thing, a load, as well as your amp.

I guess the deep cycles would be good if you didn't have the truck running and played your system, but the only power source for your system is your alt.

You can say the batteries power the system, but it will be at 12 volts, and your amps will suffer substantial power loss.

It seems that an alt upgrade would be the best route if you have any power issues.

Take all of that with a grain of salt; I'm just a kid, LOL.

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Mortifera thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Ok, confused as hell right now for some reason.

I cannot visualize how I will solder these wires coming from the 8 channel amp to behind the head unit.

I have the products in the following pictures in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I guess that smaller harness plugs to the head unit, and I connect those wires to a bigger harness minus my speaker's inputs coming from the amp.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

I guessed that the smaller harness plugs to the head unit, and I connect those wires to the bigger harness minus my speaker inputs coming from the amp.

That's right.

Connect all wires from the radio harness provided with the head unit (second pic) to the corresponding wires on the interface harness (3rd pic) except for the speaker wires.

Then you will connect the speaker wires from the amp kit (1st pic) to the speaker wires in the interface harness.

Greg
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Mortifera, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I guess that smaller harness plugs to the head unit, and I connect those wires to a bigger harness minus my speaker's inputs coming from the amp.

Yeah, leave the speaker outputs form the small harness alone, image two, and wire the 9 wire speaker directly from the amp output to the other half of the wiring harness, image three. There will probably be 8 wires that you won't wire up for the harness directly plugging into the radio- RF, LF, RR, and LR with two wires each since you will be sending a low-level input to the amp via RCA cables.

If you are going to run a true 8 channel system, you will have to run two of the 9 wire speaker wire from the amp to the wire harness in image 3, need 16 wire for 8 speakers.

It is also a good idea to insulate the speaker outputs from the radio, image two, whatever the color code of the speaker output would be to a factory speaker.

I would put some heat shrink over the end, so there is no way of shorting the outputs.

I just thought of this, i don't know if there is a factory crossover for the tweeters, so fewer wires needed to run since you are utilizing the factory wires running to the speaker locations.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Mortifera, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

Any updates on the system?

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I should be able to start the install soon.

Our trip to Australia has been nixed (after being moved left), so hopefully, we can start next weekend.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Ok, finally able to try and put some of this stuff in this weekend.

I have been swamped over the last few weeks and have had other obligations on the weekends to attend to.

I have 4 days off, and I will at least get the head unit, speakers, and hopefully amps wired up.

All the solutions for my sub fell through, so I am still looking for somebody to make a box for me.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast