Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  127
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete Audio System Replacement

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Complete Audio System Replacement

OK, Subs don't fit in the box, but I have a shop that will widen the hole by just a tiny bit.

I'm going to gather a few more items, get a plan finalized from front to rear, and double-check a few things, then.

I will start posting the install photos.

Probably be a coup of weeks from now.

I will repost my diagram when I have a finalized plan.

2. Likes Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    Currently reworking the diagram, but the short answer is that when I was researching, I found that a few of these installers were using the DSP-equipped multi-channel amps also to send signals to their sub amps.
    Ahh, that makes perfect sense.

I am certainly not getting younger, but I have always wanted to completely rework a system with my favorite brand on my own.

I probably won't do it again after this, but it will be fun.
    Then you should totally do it!!

A full function DSP will give you so much tuning flexibility.

Plus if you are mounting the components so they can be seen it will add to the impressive display.

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes Mortifera, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

That is now my next project.

That’s why I posted here!

Thanks for the tip.

That would have sucked if I’d have missed that.

I do have like a 30 foot roll of blue wire labeled (remote) wire.

Is that what you mean?

I also have a power module designed for cars like police cruisers with tons of electrical accessories that I can program and install.

It was purchased a few years ago for a project that never went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It sounds like it's going to be a kick *** system.

That blue wire is for the remote turn-on lead for your amps.

There will be some wire coming off of the head unit labeled remote, so it automatically cuts the amps on when the unit turns on.

I have a Kicker 46CXA1200.1T, 1200 watts RMS, powering a Kicker 41VL7122 sub.

That sucker thumps, and it took 8 gauge wire with a 100 amp fuse, so it pulls a little power.

If I have it up loud, the headlights dim, LOL.

I have a Kenwood Excelon DMX706S head unit, and I have been able to tune the 13 band eq and crossover quite well for the dash and door speakers and the sub, with final adjustments on the amp.

I have infinity reference series 6x9 and 3.5, and they sound pretty good, but I'm starting to look into a Kenwood component kit the sell that has 6x9 components and the 3.5 coaxes.

I don't know what gauge the factory speaker wire is or how much power the speakers will get for the amp, but they may be sufficient because it would be a pain in the but to run new speaker wires to everything.

With all of that power, you will have, I hope you have the alternator to keep up or be like me, looking like a Christmas tree going down the road.

Speaking of alts, does anyone know what the factory amp output of a stick alt is?

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

6. Likes AK Bob, SyN, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasm12 View Post
    It sounds like it's going to be a kick *** system.

That blue wire is for the remote turn-on lead for your amps.

There will be some wire coming off of the head unit labeled remote, so it automatically cuts the amps on when the unit turns on.

I have a Kicker 46CXA1200.1T, 1200 watts RMS, powering a Kicker 41VL7122 sub.

That sucker thumps, and it took 8 gauge wire with a 100 amp fuse, so it pulls a little power.

If I have it up loud, the headlights dim, LOL.

I have a Kenwood Excelon DMX706S head unit, and I have been able to tune the 13 band eq and crossover quite well for the dash and door speakers and the sub, with final adjustments on the amp.

I have infinity reference series 6x9 and 3.5, and they sound pretty good, but I'm starting to look into a Kenwood component kit the sell that has 6x9 components and the 3.5 coaxes.

I don't know what gauge the factory speaker wire is or how much power the speakers will get for the amp, but they may be sufficient because it would be a pain in the but to run new speaker wires to everything.

With all of that power, you will have, I hope you have the alternator to keep up or be like me, looking like a Christmas tree going down the road.

Speaking of alts, does anyone know what the factory amp output of a stick alt is?
    I'm hoping it will be enough power, too.

I was already looking at higher power alternators just in case.

I didn't realize there were so many options until now.

I did the beer math calculations and from what I read online, it should be ok.

We will see.

My subs combined barely make half the RMS of yours.

That thing must sound crazy in a truck.

They always sound better in a truck.

8. Likes SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Mine came with an upgraded 220.

I think the standard is something like 180 or 200.

Many of the trucks sold up north have the upgraded alternator from what I found when I was searching for trucks back then.

I don't know why I remember that.

10. Likes SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I'm hoping it will be enough power, too.

I was already looking at higher power alternators just in case.

I didn't realize there were so many options until now.

I did the beer math calculations and from what I read online, it should be ok.

We will see.

My subs combined barely make half the RMS of yours.

That thing must sound crazy in a truck.

They always sound better in a truck.
    Big 3 upgrade might help.

Big 3 with big alt would do the trick.

When your batteries are time for replacements go with deep cycle.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

12. Thanks Mortifera thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Big 3 upgrade might help.

Big 3 with big alt would do the trick.

When your batteries are time for replacements go with deep cycle.
    Why deep cycle batteries as replacements?

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

14. Likes AK Bob, Mortifera liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Why deep cycle batteries as replacements?
    A deep cycle marine battery, or trolling battery, has several design differences.

One key is plates: It has fewer, thicker plates allowing the battery to provide continuous power output over long time periods.

Deep cycle batteries can be entirely drained and recharged many times over, cranking batteries can't.

2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn / 4x4 / CC / 68RFE / 20" Fuel Triton wheels / Toyo RT 37"s / 5" Rough Country Lift / 5" Straight / Studded / CCV Gutted (Reroute) / S&B CAI / Airdog 165 4g II / G&R Sump / Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (Lift pump) / Isspro Pyrometer / Pacbrake Oil Filter Re-Location / Amp'd Throttle Booster / Raceme Ultra Drd Tunes / Airlift 7500 Bags / B&W Turn Over Ball

16. Thanks Mortifera thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Ok, here is the latest and greatest. Still working an issue with the subs and box but I'd like to start on the install this weekend. I had to replace my old soldering iron and get some other things before I could start but most of my stuff is in. Any tips for running the amp cable through firewall would be great. Currently, the plan is to go through the plastic plate and I have some items to seal it up.

Attached Images Attached Images

18. Likes Power247, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Deep cycle batteries can be entirely drained and recharged many times over, cranking batteries can't.
    I am actually considering this down the road. My next move may be to Alaska, though. Would those be usable in the extreme cold?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast