Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  81
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifold Temp 220 degrees

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Intake Manifold Temp 220 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Jsol5 View Post
    Yup. These are pretty much what my truck is showing.

Seems like mine runs about 35 degrees above intake temp on the box.

I would imagine this is because I'm loaded down 17k pounds all the time since it's a service truck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Yes, could be.

My reading were not towing and very lightly loaded.

I also have a fine mesh bug screen over the intercooler and winter grill cover over radiator.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: Intake Manifold Temp 220 degrees

The manifold air intake temperature is 52° hotter than the outlet temperature of the inner cooler.

I understood if the outside temperature is really cold and the engine bay is pretty warm, the increased budget increase of 52° just in that short distance is interesting.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMueth2020 View Post
    The manifold air intake temperature is 52° hotter than the outlet temperature of the inner cooler.

I understood if the outside temperature is really cold and the engine bay is pretty warm, the increased budget increase of 52° just in that short distance is interesting.
    I understand your concern, and it does seem like a lot.

As you can see from post #9, the Intake manifold did get heat soaked to almost 200*F.

Please post your results for comparison when you have time.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Before the delete, Banks monster idash read the manifold air temperature about 20-30 warmer than ambient temperature.

Today was 75- 82outside, and the intake air manifold temperature read 118-127.

The only two things without in detail that could be going on are the sensor's location, which doesn't make sense in some respects.

When the ambient temperature was 50-the 60s, the manifold temperature was 70s at interstate speeds.

Different topic: what's up with all the DPF and EGR parameters?

Why not have some manifold density and other useable parameters as standard since tuning mostly means not having those worthless items?

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I unhooked the MM3 and hooked up the idash to see what MAT I get with it to compare to the MM3.

There are many other parameters I'll compare.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

At 55mph, 88 ambient temperature, 60% humidity.

Lower temps than the MM3.

The manifold temp is less than 10 degrees warmer than the ambient.

Something fishy is going on, having two readings significantly different.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Last night on my way home from work.

82 ambient temperature.

Manifold intake temp 90.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I agree something is off with the MM3 Intake Manifold temperature reading.

My first concern was; are the MAT and the IAM-T PID's the same sensor?

To prove the IAM-T PID, I monitored with the MM3 and performed this test.

Cold-soaked engine's ambient air temperature was 43*F, and the IAM-T read 79*F.

Next, I disconnected the Intake Air Manifold temperature sensor, and the MM3 read -40*F, but then, while still disconnected, it mysteriously started increasing in temperature.

I then performed the same test with my Autel scan tool, the "Intake Manifold Temperature" PID read 45*F.

With the Intake Air Manifold temperature sensor disconnected, it also went to -40*F then started increasing.

So, in conclusion, I do know that the IAM-T PID on the MM3 is the Intake Manifold Temperature and reads 34*F higher than the Autel.

Not sure why they both showed the same increase in temperature after the sensor was unplugged.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

58 ambient temperature on the interstate and driving 70. Humidity 46%.

The manifold intake temp is only 8 degrees more than the ambient coolant, and the oil temperatures are 185.

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I am running into this same issue.

Has anyone found a solution?

I have a 2015 3500 DRW with AISIN and have tried two sensors (IAT-M), which read approximately 35 degrees higher than other temperature sensors.

I have tested this on a cold soak, and going down the road at this point, I am convinced that the reading is entirely inaccurate, as there will remain a 35-degree spread from the intake horn even as the truck warms up.

If memory serves, however, during the summer, I don't think it was 35 degrees over the intake horn reading.

It is almost as if it has to get to a specific temperature to start reading accurately.

I have e-mailed MM3 about this, and my MM3 is not reading my exhaust pressure sensor (my Edge CT3 will).

I am waiting for a response.

My main concern with this issue is I am curious if my ECM/PCM is seeing the elevated temps as well and therefore demanding my VGT to close more than it should (as the air at the manifold would be calculated as less dense than it is).

I am thinking about wiring in a completely different type of temp sensor to see if it will display accurately, but until I hear back from MM3, I will hold off.

EDIT: I forgot to mention.

My 03 5.9L does not have a temp sensor in the intake horn but has the same type of sensor (pressure/temp) that the 6.7L does in the intake manifold itself.

Even though it has a bigger intercooler, the temperatures at the manifold on my 5.9L are similar to the intake horn temps on my 6.7L.

All the more reason for me to suspect something isn't right.

I have a hard time believing that a 5.9L at the manifold and a 6.7 at the intake horn can read pretty close, but then throughout 12 or so inches, the 6.7L manifold temps increase 35 degrees on a completely flat linear curve.

If the horn says 40 degrees, the IAT-M says 75.

If the horn says 105 degrees, IAT-M says 140, and so on.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited by IGOTACUMMINS; 10-31-2023 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast