Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Aftermarket Air Filter Question - Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

Aftermarket Air Filter Question - Cummins

Hello all,

I live on a very dusty farm road, so I traditionally change my air filters out every 5k miles to be as safe as possible.

I'm wondering if any aftermarket filters improve the breathing of the Cummins AND filter at least as well as the factory unit.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a product/solution that is appropriate for this situation?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

2. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Aftermarket Air Filter Question - Cummins

I have the aFe dry filter that is cleanable/reusable.
    Have used them for years snd in every vehicle we own.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189, G8RCummins, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I use the K&N drop in filter replacement.

Never any problems with it, the filtered side is super clean not even fine dust makes it thru.

I’ve also never had any problems running the oil filter.

Some guys like the dry filters, I think the belief is that it will burn up the mass air flow running the oiled filters.

I’ve been using the K&N now for over 80K miles without one issue.

Easy to clean re oil and throw it back in.

No need to get a fancy cold air setup rams intake and box works as good as the expensive aftermarket stuff.

I was looking into getting one but some guys on here changed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would recommend sticking with the dry filters.

If you decide to try the wet filters be careful not to over oil the element.

The concern is contaminating the intake sensors and the possibility of fine oil droplets forming on the turbo blades causing an out of balance condition.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Agree

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Dry all day.

If you went with an aftermarket intake a dry filter with an outerwear would be nice.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post