Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Utah Emissions Check

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Utah Emissions Check

Can anyone tell me what is involved in an Utah emissions/smog check for diesels?

Specifically Utah, Salt Lake, Davis and Weber counties.

On the state website it indicates that diesels 1997 and newer with GVW of 9500 lbs or less need to be checked, but it doesn't say what a check is.

If a truck is obviously missing parts, but no CEL and no visible emissions, will it pass?

Do they do a visual check for a DPF and EGR?

Do they do a sniffer test to verify all the original parts are working properly?

I'm looking at moving to one of those counties and am curious about how the smog check works.

TIA!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Utah Emissions Check

After a bit more digging, it looks like the Utah tests are pretty thorough.

They put vehicles on a dyno and do a sniffer/visible emission check, they do a visual inspection and they do a MIL check.

It looks like if you're missing parts on those counties in Utah, you're not getting tags.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Free dyno day though.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Likes WhiskeyBuzz, 4kids2dogs&RV, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sounds like someone needs to create a business in an outside county and register their truck in the business name.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

6. Likes AK Bob, ORDuner liked this post