Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 RAM Cummins 6.7L - Weird Starting Issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2020 RAM Cummins 6.7L - Weird Starting Issues

My truck is a 2020 2500....37xx miles; yeah, I know not even broke in yet.

So what I have going on is when it cold starts, it’s perfectly; when I drive to town, then it turns over for 10-15 seconds before it’ll kick-off.

It did it last weekend when the wife and I were out, and about I thought maybe got some bad fuel.

When we got back home, I had burned off half a tank, so I topped it off with my regular fueling station, and it was fine this past week, but today it did it again.

I will be calling the dealer on Monday but was looking for any input.

I think it’s probably something simple, but I’m new to the Diesel world.

Thanks for any replies,

TK

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Yes, it should be running within the first three or four cranks.

Probably a fuel pressure issue when hot.

I would definitely take it in under warranty.

Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks TK666 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 2020 RAM Cummins 6.7L - Weird Starting Issues

Well dropped her off at the dealership tonight and they’ll take a look tomorrow.

Hopefully something simple and she’s back home shortly after I get home from work.

6. Likes AK Bob, Gerald636 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Update: Dealer shop called and said she wouldn’t be done; it had a few service bulletins to update, and one, in particular, could be the culprit of my issue, but he did say the tech thought fuel smelled of gasoline, so he wanted to look into that tomorrow.

I’m the only one to fuel up, so no chance of messing that up unless someone did it on purpose have a questionable neighbor, but if he did that, that goes beyond his normal @$$holeness.....so I highly doubt it if that happened.

I was thinking about the “Diesel Cleen+cetane boost” it does have a gas smell in a sorta way, so I wonder if that’s what he smells.

I’m gonna call them in the morning and mention that.

8. Likes AK Bob, Gerald636 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TK666 View Post
    Update:
    Dealer shop called and said she wouldn’t be done it had a few service bulletins to update and one in particular could be the culprit my issue.....but he did say the tech thought fuel smelled of gasoline so he wanted to look into that tomorrow. I’m the only one to fuel’r up so no chance of messing that up,unless some one did it on purpose have a questionable neighbor but if he did that that goes beyond his normal @$$holeness.....so I highly doubt that happened .... But I was thinking about the “Diesel Cleen+cetane boost” it does have a gas smell in a sorta way so I wonder if that’s what he smells,I’m gonna call them in the morning and mention that.
    Thanks for the update, staying tuned for the rest of the story.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Likes Gerald636, TK666 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The Latest and Greatest.

I called the dealer this morning about my thought of the additive smelling like gas.

He said that was very probable and that they didn’t find any trace of gasoline mixed in

Big Exhale

That kept me up most of the night wonder how it could have happened.

He told me there was another service bulletin concerning the fuel delivery system, so they emptied the fuel to drop the tank to look for metal shavings.

Well, they must have been in there; they ordered a new fuel sending unit, fuel filters, doing a flush of the fuel system, and filtering the removed fuel.

So I asked about the CP4 pump and injectors, and he said they would be inspected as well.

I had mentioned that I’ve heard that they are not good about the warranty on the pump and had read that and the unreliability of the CP4 pump and if it was terrible or even thought I had seen any shavings to replace it with the CP3 pump like in the new 21’s being it’s a proven unit.

He said he’d look into it.

I also asked about future issues that could come up related to the faulty sending unit he assured me they would be handled.

So I’d say probably Friday I should have her back home.

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TK666 View Post
    The Latest and Greatest.

I called the dealer this morning about my thought of the additive smelling like gas.

He said that was very probable and that they didn’t find any trace of gasoline mixed in

Big Exhale

That kept me up most of the night wonder how it could have happened.

He told me there was another service bulletin concerning the fuel delivery system, so they emptied the fuel to drop the tank to look for metal shavings.

Well, they must have been in there; they ordered a new fuel sending unit, fuel filters, doing a flush of the fuel system, and filtering the removed fuel.

So I asked about the CP4 pump and injectors, and he said they would be inspected as well.

I had mentioned that I’ve heard that they are not good about the warranty on the pump and had read that and the unreliability of the CP4 pump and if it was terrible or even thought I had seen any shavings to replace it with the CP3 pump like in the new 21’s being it’s a proven unit.

He said he’d look into it.

I also asked about future issues that could come up related to the faulty sending unit he assured me they would be handled.

So I’d say probably Friday I should have her back home.
    Good news.

You did well to address your concerns about the CP4.

It would be great if they would replace it with a CP3 while they are at it, if not this should be on your to do list for sure, especially after the warranty expires.

Thanks for the update, by the way brother IBEW Local 1547 retired.

14. Likes TK666 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

FCA won't approve them to put a CP3 in a 19-20 truck under a warranty claim unless they come out with a recall.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks AK Bob, TK666 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Good news.

You did well to address your concerns about the CP4.

It would be great if they would replace it with a CP3 while they are at it, if not this should be on your to do list for sure, especially after the warranty expires.

Thanks for the update, by the way brother IBEW Local 1547 retired.

Yeah I thought so as well cause of the fuel pump is failing then it isn’t getting proper fuel and lube to the blasted CP4 and we know the issue there.

Catastrophic failure and damage.

Congrats on making retirement!

It’s always good to hear from another IBEW Brother!

Working on my 28th year.

18. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    FCA won't approve them to put a CP3 in a 19-20 truck under a warranty claim unless they come out with a recall.
    Well that sucks!

20. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast