Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Treasure In The Trans Pan - Anyone Else?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Treasure In The Trans Pan - Anyone Else?

So over the past weekend I was doing a 68RFE transmission service on a buddies truck and upon removing the pan I found a pretty big piece of metal stuck to the magnet.

By pretty big I mean about the size of a dime which is no good.

Well I'm looking at this thing thinking "what is that?"

Now I've been inside a couple 68RFE and a couple dozen torque flights and never have I seen this piece inside either of those transmissions then it hit me because this never was supposed to be in the transmission.

It belongs on the dip stick.

Check out the pics.

So at one point in time between now and his last service either it came loose and fell down the tube on its own or as the dipstick was pulled out it slid this thing off the stick and down it went into the trans. All bad!

Luckily the magnet is supposed to sit right below the dipstick/fill tube and was still in the correct spot so it fell directly onto the magnet as far as I can tell and didn't do any damage or even get up into the moving parts of the transmission.

I still don't think he fully understands how bad things could have gone if that piece was say aluminum or stainless and didn't stick or just happened to pass by the magnet too far away from it.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and just maybe take a look every once in a while and make sure yours is still in the proper location on the stick not down inside the trans.

Also if you do a transmission service and remove your magnet to clean it I would suggest you put it back in the correct location just incase.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 3500 SRW Laramie 4×4, 68RFE with billet valvebody. 6.7HO with S&B intake, 5" exhaust, ARP headstuds, Industrial Injection R1 injectors, Fass 165, RaceMe Ultra tuned by DRD, Bilstein shocks, reverse leveled on 285/65/18 Nitto G2s and Raceline wheels, traction bars, B&W gooseneck hitch, Kicker audio, Morimoto and GTR lighting, Uniden R7.

2. Thanks Power247, nuckle, AK Bob thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Treasure In The Trans Pan - Anyone Else?

Yup lost mine too no damage.

4. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Is this going to be the new grid heater bolt except for the trans?

I’m going to mod my dipstick right away.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Is this going to be the new grid heater bolt except for the trans?

I’m going to mod my dipstick right away.
    Quick some one come up with a dipstick delete!!!

But seriously this has been supper common.

I see it all the time doing trans services and rebuilds.

Unless you flip your truck it’s impossible for it to make it’s way into the trans.

Ford actually used to block the dipstick hole internally with a plastic plug on the assembly line.

When they went to install the dipstick they would just push the plug into the pan it never caused an issue.

I actually liked it cause you could tell when customers were lying about changing their trans fluid and filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Murph liked this post