Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Beware! Insufficient Factory Heat Shielding Around Turbo!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Beware! Insufficient Factory Heat Shielding Around Turbo!

In a nutshell, I have spent $7500 in the last 3 months troubleshooting my 2014 6.7L.

The initial codes were P000f (fuel system over pressure, relief valve activated) and P0254 (Fuel injection pump valve current too high).

Being 1200 miles from home, I took the truck to a highly recommended and reputable shop without doing more than checking fuses, grounds, and obvious damage.

The shop replaced the FRP sensor and the fuel pressure control solenoid on the CP3.

No changes and a $1500 bill.

Fast forward, 3 other shops, several thousand dollars, no changes. I changed the PCM, no difference.

By this time other symptoms had developed, coolant temp sensor, intake air temperature, and water in fuel were reading intermittently or not at all.

Assuming a wiring issue may not be obvious to the naked eye (and getting desperate) I ordered a new engine bay wiring harness.

The original was quite brittle and tattered, but while removing it I still didn’t notice anything catastrophic.

Installed the new harness and everything is working perfectly.

Upon a closer inspection of the original harness, the wires, tape, and looming all around the turbo were melted.

These are difficult to inspect on the truck as they are buried in a cluster of better protected lines, and also without removing the intake and fender-well they are quite hidden.

Hopefully I can save someone some serious headaches and $$$$$$ if they are as unlucky as myself with such random symptoms.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Beware! Insufficient factory heat shielding around turbo!

Thanks for sharing your unfortunate and expensive experience.

Great job getting the issue resolved, as you say hopefully it will help someone else in the future and save them a lot of time and money.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

3. Likes walla2k5, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Beware! Insufficient Factory Heat Shielding Around Turbo!

- Posts like this - even though are very very aggravating & costly to the original poster - could possibly save a member from having a HUGE Costly Headache in the future.

job AMFC & I do deeply feel for your very costly repair.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

5. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

Re: Beware! Insufficient Factory Heat Shielding Around Turbo!

What is a remedy to prevent this?

How would you protect the wires?

7. Likes timshooter40 liked this post