Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Lesson Learned

Hello everyone.

Got a lesson for you guys that I learned the hard way. CCV reroute to a catch can down on the frame behind the drivers door.

This is where I mounted mine.

So I went to Maine for a week its 500 miles there and I changed the oil and fuel filters before I went also drained the catch can.

All was well until the ride home .the temps up in Maine were -10 to -15 , I had left about 8 am and got about 40 miles down the road and started noticing my exhaust was blowing minor smoke at times which I thought was odd because this never happens so I was thinking it was an injector so I turned the power down to the 0 setting on the tuner.

Well as i got off the back roads and onto the highway that's when things got worse with the smoke.

She was blowing smoke like an old ww2 battleship. Grabbed the next exit and got to a gas station, then I noticed the trailer was covered in oil and the tailpipe was dripping oil.

So I pulled the stick and NOTHING was on it.

Had to have it towed and my buddy grabbed my trailer.

Now come to find out this all happened because of my catch can.

Condensation filled it up halfway and the micron screen that's inside the can was full of water and what happened was it froze and the CCV air couldn't vent causing pressure and the turbo drains wouldn't drain and built up blowing by the seal and burning out the exhaust.

So that's my catch can lesson.

Attached Images Attached Images
    16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Lesson Learned

Bummer man.

Where both of them blown, or just the atmospheric?

3. Likes AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sorry that you had you had to learn the hardest way - But Thank You for sharing your experience - It will for sure benefit many others.

Might think about moving the CC up into the engine bay.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

5. Likes AK Bob, AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Wow, that's a lesson learned for sure!

That really stinks!

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Likes AnOldBiker, AK Bob, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So what are you going to do?

Relocate the can to the engine bay so it stays warm?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

9. Likes AnOldBiker, AK Bob, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The manufacture should of warn/mention to you the further away you put the can, the more the vapors condense.

Don't feel bad, I know others that have done it.

Consider it a lesson learned.

That is a nice setup.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Likes AK Bob, walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Yeah , thanks guys.

I'm going to run it by the brake booster now and from what I saw it was just the atmospheric turbo but the good news is I am replacing that turbo with a stainless 5 blade super core.

So will see how that goes.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

13. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, AK Bob, walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I totally agree with you they should of sent warning about the placement of the can.

Hopefully this helps others i almost thought I lost the motor when the oil level was low.

15. Likes AK Bob, walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bpbertolacini View Post
    I'm going to run it by the brake booster now and from what I saw it was just the atmospheric turbo but the good news is I am replacing that turbo with a stainless 5 blade super core.
    Nice!

We're a Stainless dealer, let us know if you need anything.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes AK Bob, walla2k5, Abgunnar liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Update, so I finally found time to get my truck back together, and with the new stainless diesel, S475 installed, I opted for the 1.15 ar instead of the 1.32, and honestly, I think it's way better.

The boost comes on quicker at lower rpm, and my EGT's are a lot lower now, surprisingly.

Also, due to the 5 blade, it's definitely a whistle machine.

I'm glad I went his route, and I hope this helps someone else with a compound setup.

20210303_194435.jpg

19. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast