Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  19
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Mortifera's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    After searching the forums on this site and a few others, I've decided to ask here.

    I have a few issues with my radio. Everything works except for a few minor problems.

    1. My GPS location in the navigation shows my location as being way over the ocean. (I live on Oahu) It also does not register any satellites, which generally means "update your software/firmware"! I checked the connections, and everything seems in order with the wiring.

    2. Uconnect doesn't give me the option of downloading anything because I apparently have the most up-to-date version. I don't think that's possible because I have never performed a software/firmware/map update since I purchased the new truck in 2018.

    What do you all recommend?

    Did anybody have similar problems and was able to fix them themselves?

    I'd really like to have a dedicated GPS working because while my phone and carplay are great, I am not a fan of workarounds.

    If there is a button present, I expect it to work as advertised.

    I am open to all options.

    The more time I have this vehicle, the more I want to get rid of the stock unit.


  2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    DANG IT'S COLD! AK Bob's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    After searching the forums on this site and a few others, I've decided to ask here.

    I have a few issues with my radio. Everything works except for a few minor problems.

    1. My GPS location in the navigation shows my location as being way over the ocean. (I live on Oahu) It also does not register any satellites, which generally means "update your software/firmware"! I checked the connections, and everything seems in order with the wiring.

    2. Uconnect doesn't give me the option of downloading anything because I apparently have the most up-to-date version. I don't think that's possible because I have never performed a software/firmware/map update since I purchased the new truck in 2018.

    What do you all recommend?

    Did anybody have similar problems and was able to fix them themselves?

    I'd really like to have a dedicated GPS working because while my phone and carplay are great, I am not a fan of workarounds.

    If there is a button present, I expect it to work as advertised.

    I am open to all options.

    The more time I have this vehicle, the more I want to get rid of the stock unit.
    I have not experienced the issues that you described, but have you tried to download updates for your VIN#?

    If none are available I would contact Uconnect.

    https://www.driveuconnect.com/suppor...re-update.html

    Please keep us posted.


    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

  4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Mortifera's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    Yes, I entered the VIN and it states that there is nothing available.

    Other folks on some other forums have stated they had the same issue.

    Seems to be widespread because all of Chrysler uses Uconnect.

    True to form, Uconnect doesn’t actually acknowledge a problem.


  6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Mortifera's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    Yes, I entered the VIN and it states that there is nothing available.

    Other folks on some other forums have stated they had the same issue.

    Seems to be widespread because all of Chrysler uses Uconnect.

    True to form, Uconnect doesn’t actually acknowledge a problem.
    Oh, those “other folks” did not have a fix so that’s why I’m here.

    Saddening, really.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Mortifera's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    Well, I gave up and gave in.

    I ordered a new head unit and decided to just overhaul the entire sound system.

    I will try to take pictures of the install and the process I use.

    Never done a build thread before, though.


  10. Thanks Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    JOGAN's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    I am having the same issue with my 2018 3500 Navigation and actually the USB also.

    I went to the dealer yesterday, and it seems that the RAM 2018's only, according to them, has issues with the Uconnect 8.4 system.

    They said that they(apparently Chrysler) try to blame Apply Car play, but that is not the real issue.

    It's a problem with the 2018 RAM 3500 units.

    I did not ask if it was all 2018 units.

    However, I have never had the Apply Car play work on my truck.

    I am just getting started with this, so I will try to keep everyone updated.

    It sounds like the fix is to replace the Uconnect system.

    I have an extended warranty, so it's covered, thankfully.

    Brilliant Black Crystal 2018 Ram 3500 SRW Longbed with Aisin.....Stock

  12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Electrojake, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    P2609 Fanatic Electrojake's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by JOGAN View Post
    I am having the same issue with my 2018 3500 Navigation and actually the USB also.

    It sounds like the fix is to replace the Uconnect system.

    I have an extended warranty, so it is covered, thankfully.
    ^^^ This I am very interested in following.

    FCA replacing your head unit under warranty.

    Do keep us posted on how that turns out.

    2016 Longhorn 3500, 4x4 shortbed CrewCab, Cummins HO/AISIN, 99.8% stock.
    > Reduced current grid heater mod w/all emissions intact.
    * Hauling a 2018 Northstar Arrow-U. Scale weight 12,400 Lb.

  14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Chrisn162001's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    All 18 model trucks with the 8.4 radio using one of two radios, one with nav one without.

    We have had nothing but issues out of them.

    Panasonic makes the radio, and FCA designed the software for it on top of that; they don’t play well together, and neither side accepts fault, of course.

    Software updates rarely fix them.

    Usually, a replacement is the only way to fix issues, especially with navigation functions.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  16. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9
    Mortifera's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    I replaced the entire stereo system and am very happy with the new setup.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10
    z28-50's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: Uconnect Update Problems 2018 3500 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Mortifera View Post
    After searching the forums on this site and a few others, I've decided to ask here.

    I have a few issues with my radio. Everything works except for a few minor problems.

    1. My GPS location in the navigation shows my location as being way over the ocean. (I live on Oahu) It also does not register any satellites, which generally means "update your software/firmware"! I checked the connections, and everything seems in order with the wiring.

    2. Uconnect doesn't give me the option of downloading anything because I apparently have the most up-to-date version. I don't think that's possible because I have never performed a software/firmware/map update since I purchased the new truck in 2018.

    What do you all recommend?

    Did anybody have similar problems and was able to fix them themselves?

    I'd really like to have a dedicated GPS working because while my phone and carplay are great, I am not a fan of workarounds.

    If there is a button present, I expect it to work as advertised.

    I am open to all options.

    The more time I have this vehicle, the more I want to get rid of the stock unit.
    I had the GPS / satellite problem with 2015 8.4 a couple of years back.

    A master reset fixed it.

    Look up Marion Blair on YouTube, he shows 2 ways to reset it.

    2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / Silver / Bighorn

  20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Electrojake thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •