Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  32

Thread: Led Light Bar - High Beam Trigger?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Led Light Bar - High Beam Trigger?

I just got a new 52 in Auxbeam LED light bar.

I used the wiring harness that came with the light bar (picture attached and I have the black rocker switch with single red light).

I have it powered through my Aux 1 switch and just leave the rocker switch on under the hood.

When I want the light bar on I hit the Aux 1 and it turns on.

Does anyone have any experience with leaving the Aux 1 on and have the high beams trigger the light to come on?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

You're going to be better off using the Aux switch as intended, additionally, why do you have a rocker under the hood if you have the aux panel?

The factory aux switches are designed to be direct connected to your light as the circuit is self contained & protected.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The rocker was on the harness so instead of unplugging it and wiring the leads together I just left the harness whole and powered it through the Aux instead of the battery.

The Aux turns it off and on but I would like for it to be triggered through the high beams so I do not have to hit the Aux switch going down the hwy every time the headlights dim, hence the trigger through the high beam wire.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Given the nature of CANBUS controls, this likely isn't going to work they way you are wanting and would probably be far more involved than it would be worth.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Not sure but if you tap into the wire that powers the high beam at the headlight you can run that to a relay that can power the light.

You will basically have two power feeds to the light, so you will want to add a diode in each one so they don't back feed to the other one and cause problems with the can-bus system.

This way you can use the Aux switch or the high beam to turn the light on.

I have not tried this but in theory, it should work.

You could power the relay with the Aux switch and then the light would only go on with the high beams when the aux switch was on and in that case, you would not need any diodes. This is just my theory, I might try it when I get a light bar.

Wire at your own risk.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    Not sure but if you tap into the wire that powers the high beam at the headlight you can run that to a relay that can power the light.

You will basically have two power feeds to the light, so you will want to add a diode in each one so they don't back feed to the other one and cause problems with the can-bus system.

You could power the relay with the Aux switch and then the light would only go on with the high beams when the aux switch was on and in that case, you would not need any diodes. This is just my theory, I might try it when I get a light bar.

Wire at your own risk.
    I agree with your theory, it should work as described.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks BrentM, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Wire at your own risk.
    Great suggestion!

Since the Aux supplies full power for the light bar the same thing can be done with a 40amp 5 prong relay.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

13. Thanks BrentM, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Wire at your own risk.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, redneck3203, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

Quote Originally Posted by redneck3203 View Post
    I just got a new 52 in Auxbeam LED light bar.

I used the wiring harness that came with the light bar (picture attached and I have the black rocker switch with single red light).

I have it powered through my Aux 1 switch and just leave the rocker switch on under the hood.

When I want the light bar on I hit the Aux 1 and it turns on.

Does anyone have any experience with leaving the Aux 1 on and have the high beams trigger the light to come on?
    I love the idea!

I’m gonna have to try it.

Update us when you get it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post