Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  202
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Motor Oil - Which One?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Diesel Motor Oil - Which One?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    How many miles do you run on a oil change? Might be worth it if it can be ran longer. Website says it can be ran 3 times longer than conventional oil. I currently run about 12-15K on a change using rotella and a k&n filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you got an oil bypass and your truck is healthy, the black diamond can go 80,000+ with regular filter changes.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Likes watersupply189, Gerald636, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Not Attempting to stir up drama or hate & discontent - Project Farm is very highly respected via the YouTube world as well as HSS - (They even use his video for their Winter Blend -diesel additive as a advertisement)

Though this is not a (Million Mile Engine Tear Down) while having run Green or Blue Diamond oils since the 0 or 1K mile mark but a simple garage test of the FR3 additive used in the HSS oils.
    The simple test results are a interesting conversation piece.

Though a real world driven (Not a Dyno in a Controlled environment Lab) - 500K or 1 million mile tear down with a visual & bearing clearance inspection would be the Ideal & Proper way to properly see a oils true quality.

Project Farm - does Not Sell or Benefit from bragging up or posting positive or negative results from any HSS products.
    He is probably the most unbiased tester that you will find in the YouTube world.
    Though his Testing is by No Means 100% Scientific or Structured towards actual (Real World) engine wear - It is based of common sense simple testing.

"The Donaldson Blue DBL7349 - Offers a very remarkable low micron rating without sacrificing oil flow with the Synteq-XP media - My Opinion ---> One of the Highest Quality & most importantly (Efficient) Spin on filters we can use with our 6.7L."
    These can be easily bought off of Amazon for a very reasonable price - if not found locally!

@MillsRam --> Look into Rotella T5 oils (Semi-Synthetic) shown Via-VOA to be formulated with a Very Robust Formulation.
    Rotella T6 5W-40 & 15W-40 are very robust (No SN rating) = Good - Thousands of Proven UOA - Can handle about any oil requirements.
    Pardon my Ignorance - But is your 6.7L deleted?

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Thanks Gerald636, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Gerald636, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Not Attempting to stir up drama or hate & discontent - Project Farm is very highly respected via the YouTube world as well as HSS - (They even use his video for their Winter Blend -diesel additive as a advertisement)

Though this is not a (Million Mile Engine Tear Down) while having run Green or Blue Diamond oils since the 0 or 1K mile mark but a simple garage test of the FR3 additive used in the HSS oils.

Though a real world driven (Not a Dyno in a Controlled environment Lab) - 500K or 1 million mile tear down with a visual & bearing clearance inspection would be the Ideal & Proper way to properly see a oils true quality.

Project Farm - does Not Sell or Benefit from bragging up or posting positive or negative results from any HSS products.
    He is probably the most unbiased tester that you will find in the YouTube world.
    Though his Testing is by No Means 100% Scientific or Structured towards actual (Real World) engine wear - It is based of common sense simple testing.

My Oil & Filter selections are posted within my Signature @ the bottom of everyone of my posts.
    TRIAX Supreme ESP HDEO oils - Incorporates a double dose (Compared to the National Averages) PPM of Moly & Boron - According to PQIA.ORG
    Since ZDDP was shown to not be DPF friendly & the PPM levels were dropped drastically - According to Ford some Brands went to low (Hence the SN engine oil rating) posted within the Starburst.

@MillsRam --> Look into Rotella T5 oils (Semi-Synthetic) shown Via-VOA to be formulated with a Very Robust Formulation.
    I like project farm. I agree he is about the most unbiased out there. I’ll have to watch this don’t know why I haven’t seen it. Have seen a lot of his videos. I’m coming due for a oil change and now would be a good time to change over if that’s the direction I take.

6. Likes SyN, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Good Luck in your Quest!

There are now Many High Quality HDEOs on the Market today Created with the right Formulations (Chemistry) that with the right selected OCI & Filters & Civilized Driving = Can easily take a Healthy 6.7L well past 500K miles.

The normal 6.7L not the HO 6.7L are not oil sensitive and have proven via hundreds of UOA to be decently easy on a Quality HDEO.

If your 6.7L is deleted --> You have a few more HDEO options ---> More Robust HDEO - those that are loaded with ZDDP = Proven engine protection (But my question is how much is To Much) & no extra protection is gained. (I guess this depends on how you work your 6.7L)

Good Luck - Choosing the Right HDEO & Filters for your 6.7L needs is fun & exciting but can give you multiple Migraine Headaches.

Myself: If & When I choose to Delete - I will look into adding either a single or dual stage oil by-pass system to take advantage of the Supreme ESP - (Extended Drain Capabilities)

Not while still Emissions are in tacked & filling the new oil with soot @ a very fast rate.
    Note: Most of these Quality Built Oil By-Pass systems will hit you pretty deep in the Pocket Book - for only a Base / Few Fittings / Few Feet if Rubber Hose / 1 or 2 filters or Designed Filter Housing & Custom fit Filter.
    Most have just gathered the same parts themselves from Lowes/Grainger/Home Depot for 1/2 the $$$..
    Only downside is some kits have a very user friendly Bracket - already powder coated and drilled for a ideal spot / That you might have to design and create yourself.

8. Likes watersupply189, Gerald636, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    I also run the HSS Black Diamond 15w-40. I plan on keeping the truck for a long time. Might as well give it one of the best options out there. although its a tad spendy I feel its worth the cost for extra protection
    That’s exactly how I feel.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Likes Gerald636, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

My Oil & Filter selections are posted within my Signature @ the bottom of everyone of my posts.
    TRIAX Supreme ESP HDEO oils - Incorporates a double dose (Compared to the National Averages) PPM of Moly & Boron - According to PQIA.ORG
    Since ZDDP was shown to not be DPF friendly & the PPM levels were dropped drastically - According to Ford some Brands went to low (Hence the SN engine oil rating) posted within the Starburst.

Rotella T6 5W-40 & 15W-40 are very robust (No SN rating) = Good - Thousands of Proven UOA - Can handle about any oil requirements.
    Correct recently deleted, and actually I watch Project Farm a good bit LOL , anyone who hasn’t should do there self a favor and watch it . I’ll look into the T5 T6 stuff you started speaking over my head there at the end LOL

12. Likes Gerald636, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Good Luck in your Quest!

There are now Many High Quality HDEOs on the Market today Created with the right Formulations (Chemistry) that with the right selected OCI & Filters & Civilized Driving = Can easily take a Healthy 6.7L well past 500K miles.

The normal 6.7L not the HO 6.7L are not oil sensitive and have proven via hundreds of UOA to be decently easy on a Quality HDEO.

If your 6.7L is deleted --> You have a few more HDEO options ---> More Robust HDEO - those that are loaded with ZDDP = Proven engine protection (But my question is how much is To Much) & no extra protection is gained. (I guess this depends on how you work your 6.7L)

Good Luck - Choosing the Right HDEO & Filters for your 6.7L needs is fun & exciting but can give you multiple Migraine Headaches.

Myself: If & When I choose to Delete - I will look into adding either a single or dual stage oil by-pass system to take advantage of the Supreme ESP - (Extended Drain Capabilities)

Not while still Emissions are in tacked & filing the new oil with soot @ a very fast rate.
    Yes mine is deleted , I’m trying to figure out what ZDDP is and this “extended drain” , what is this wizardry you speak of my freind ?

14. Likes Gerald636, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MillsRam View Post
    Yes mine is deleted , I’m trying to figure out what ZDDP is and this “extended drain” , what is this wizardry you speak of my freind ?

Zinc in motor oil greatly reduces wear/cylinder scar.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks MillsRam, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Gerald636, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I’m gonna have to look into this oil bypass then. I plan on keeping it for the long haul. Been deleted for a while now and at one point I asked about this oil bypass so it seems it’s a good option. Everything I have gotten so far was from DDP so I’ll be hoping they’ll chime in.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

@MillsRam: A brief description!

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/cla...ar-protection/

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...-oil-additives

Extended Drain: Is taking your normal OCI - Say 6K-10K mile Oil Change Interval - out to 20K-40K miles - Due to keeping the oil cleaner (With a much lower micron rated filtering system). Via be it a Single or Dual By-Pass system
    I'm not sure how low of Micron Rating has to be to even Truly Capture and Hold (Soot Particles) They are extremely small.

One thing to remember a New Filter does not filter more efficiently when compared to your older filter still in service.
    The longer a filter is in service the more efficient it becomes - But in some instances @ the same time flow is decreased due to more contaminants trapped within the media.
    This is where (Supported) Synthetic Media filters shine = Filter more smaller particles without effecting flow as much.

Keeping the Oil much cleaner longer - so the oil can stay in service for longer = Extended Drain.
    Yes the additive package of the oil over time will deplete & become much less effective for wear (This is when a UOA comes into play and a TBN report is needed).

SyN Disclaimer: These are only my Honest Opinions and Thoughts - through many NORIA/Lubrication Classes over the past 13yrs.
    Along with practically a lifetime membership to Machinery Lubrication Magazine.

Note: Attempting to Discuss Oil & Filters in a civilized manner is similar to attempting to do the same with Religion.
    So I will leave my thoughts & opinions here.

Good Luck!

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast