Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  61
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA Rumors - And Others

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

EPA Rumors - And Others

I heard a rumor the other day and was hoping someone can help clarify or debunk.

I heard that the EPA is cracking down on personal and commercial trucks on the road with "fixed" trucks.

The meat of the rumor was the DMV, DOL, or whatever your state calls it will be requiring an "inspection" before renewing tags and you don't have all the BS emissions stuff on your truck you won't be able to get tags until it's all put back.

Please tell me this is just a vicious rumor.

Also, on a lighter note, I heard if Aisin doesn't step up their game that RAM will go with the 10 speed Allison.

Any validity to that?

If so when?

2. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EPA Rumors - And Others

In November the EPA issued a report on deleted trucks.

The EPA doesn't really have the authority to go after individual vehicle owners, but the EPA did say that coordinating or partnering with states "could help to curtail demand for these illegal products."

Part of it is quoted below.

Will it happen? IDK.

It will cost money, so I can see how many states will not go along with this unless the EPA is going to fund the effort.

As you know , the civil enforcement of the Clean Air Act prohibitions on tampering and aftermarket defeat devices are known as “ direct implementation” because they cannot be delegated to states (unlike the stationary source provisions of the Act) . Many states, however, have laws prohibiting tampering, operating tampered vehicles, or selling tampered vehicles. Federal enforcement is generally focused on upstream manufacturers and suppliers of aftermarket defeat devices. Downstream, state compliance and enforcement efforts could help to curtail demand for these illegal products. Partnering with states is a core objective of our National Compliance Initiative because we believe that state efforts could complement EPA's work and help to reduce noncompliance.

2015 3500 SRW Longbed with DRD Spark Plugs

4. Likes Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Or the EPA could consider getting fucked

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Thanks Aboshan thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Or the EPA could consider getting fucked
    to that

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

8. Likes RamIt, Murph, Aboshan, GravesDiesel liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Really though, the EPA has no authority to enforce anything at the consumer level.

I don't know too many local cops willing to spend the time checking under every diesel truck in town.

Hell I just sold a truck to a cop yesterday who was asking about things falling off on a bumpy road.

Now DOT is a different story.

If you run DOT/MC numbers, you best be tip top because interstate commerce falls under Federal.

I know there's plenty of hotshot guys here that are ridin dirty, but that's a big risk.

DOT here has deployed mobile sniffers on the highways but they are looking for mostly Class 8 right now.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

10. Thanks Thomas1960 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Really though, the EPA has no authority to enforce anything at the consumer level.

I don't know too many local cops willing to spend the time checking under every diesel truck in town.

Hell I just sold a truck to a cop yesterday who was asking about things falling off on a bumpy road.

Now DOT is a different story.

If you run DOT/MC numbers, you best be tip top because interstate commerce falls under Federal.

I know there's plenty of hotshot guys here that are ridin dirty, but that's a big risk.

DOT here has deployed mobile sniffers on the highways but they are looking for mostly Class 8 right now.
    Not to mention, but will, LOL.

Local DPS officer and were talking as well, he stated that in order for that level to be included in enforcement, the agencies would have to foot the bill for education, orientation and certification to enforce.

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

If you want to read the report, here it is: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...selpickups.pdf

13. Thanks Murph thanked for this post
    Likes Murph, timshooter40, Thomas1960 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

My thoughts are this: We're still a ways off from individual enforcement, but it's coming.

The federal govt doesn't have the resources to do it, so they will rely heavily on partnerships with state and local governments.

They'll use EPA field offices with a handful of enforcement agents to pop in on shops, dealerships, and any other business they get a tip or lead on (they are already doing this).

Read the report I linked above... once they've "inspected" a business, they'll comb through those sales invoices to determine what/when/where/who things were sold to, and go from there.

If your state and local government cooperates, they'll do so in the form of vehicle inspections required to renew registration.

The county I live in uses OBD-II scanners to read sensor stats.... no old school "smog" test, they are actively scanning the ECM/PCM to see if emissions sensors are in a "ready" state and will fail a vehicle if they are not.

Much like the ATF isn't gonna come to your house and take your guns, the EPA isn't going to come take your truck.

They'll just make it impossible for you to get tuning updates, replacement parts, and other items you need to sustain it long term.

They'll make it impossible for you to register it, insure it, and operate it.

The federal government moves slowly, but they can and will wait us out.

15. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Looks like Texas is a top target and now with Harris/Biden in office I'm guessing it we might get a squeeze.

Bastards!

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 - 2.5" Carli PinTop, RevMax Signature 700, FASS 165, Evilfab 2nd Gen swap w/ S464, 5" TBE & nut'n but engine under the hood
    2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax CC 4x4 - Complete Delete w/ FASS 150 | EZ Lync w/ PPEI SOTF
    2012 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax CC 4x4 - Bone Stock
    2004 & 2006 Ford F250 PowerJoke CC King Ranch 4x4 (aka "POS#1" & "POS #2") - Bought back by Ford @ 8k miles / 12K miles

17. Likes Murph, timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmojo View Post
    Looks like Texas is a top target and now with Harris/Biden in office I'm guessing it we might get a squeeze.

Bastards!
    Dam that sux... luckily I still have all my Emissions crap. Sure don't want to put it back on though.. dam you Biden

19. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast