Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: 2018 Head Gasket - 2018 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 Head Gasket - 2018 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins

Good evening; I purchased my truck brand new in March of 2018.

2018 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins.

In March/April of 2020, I did a full delete with DRD MM3, 30hp tune, full 5” exhaust with EGR delete.

The truck has been great; recently, I’ve been smelling coolant after shutting off the truck and walking by the front end, I couldn’t find anything leaking, and the coolant reservoir seems to stay level.

The truck has only 33k miles.

Today I got home from about a 40-mile drive, not towing anything, and wasn’t hard on the truck; again smelled coolant, so I popped the hood to look again.

The upper rad hose was hard as it usually is after driving for a while, I opened the coolant tank, and it immediately overflowed coolant out of the tank?

This is my first Cummins, so I’m looking for some input?

Is this a bad head gasket already?

Is it normal?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes steadly2004, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: 2018 Head Gasket - 2018 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins

Did you open it up while still hot?

If it was hot, then overflowing would be expected, I believe, but I’m 100% sure.

I would be searching for any evidence of coolant leaking and burning/evaporating off.

If you are getting a smell.

However, if the level never changes, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Agreed, I would expect the coolant tank to overflow when the cap is removed if the engine was still hot.

You could have up to 20psi of system pressure, and it will take the path of least resistance.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If you did an EGR delete- you could’ve spilled coolant and have residual coolant burning off.

Or, I didn’t get the connections tight and are now leaking under pressure.

It sounds elementary, but just throwing out options.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I would check the notorious o ring that leaks on the coolant riser pipe from the delete fitting to the head coolant nipple.

I had that leak on mine on the bottom, and it took me a minute to find since it would drip down on the air intake by the turbo.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes, the engine was still hot; I just shut it off 30 seconds before opening the overflow bottle.

Hopefully, that’s all it is!

Thank you for the replies!

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Check water pump as well, and I've had water pumps that only lasted 30,000 miles.

If the water pump is leaking, you will see it on the front of the oil pan.

If you can't find any leaks anywhere and the coolant level stays constant, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

My wife's Chrysler 300 always smells like coolant after being driven for a while but never loses any coolant and has no obvious leaks.

The tiniest bit of coolant weeping out somewhere hot is all it takes to smell it.

Kyle

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

It is a tough bet

Do you have it studded?

If you’ve put a couple of gallons in the reservoir over time and you’re getting the pressure build-up, and it’s still blowing out, it's a good indicator for sure the head gasket.

From having earlier 6.7’s and having studs put on them, the guys I’ve worked with swear up and down not to exceed 1150-1200 degrees for EGTs.

If you put that tune on and lug the shi* out of it, you’d be surprised how hot the EGTs can get.

I could be wrong, but suitable for thought?

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Mine did the same thing.

I don't recommend ever opening the coolant tank while the truck is hot.

It will overflow and sometimes shoot coolant out everywhere and possibly burn you, but for the slight smell, I wouldn't worry about it as said above; if it's staying cool and level is good, then probably some burn-off.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drake1 View Post
    Good evening; I purchased my truck brand new in March of 2018.

2018 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins.

In March/April of 2020, I did a full delete with DRD mm3, 30hp tune, full 5” exhaust with EGR delete.

The truck has been great; recently, I’ve been smelling coolant after shutting off the truck and walking by the front end, I couldn’t find anything leaking, and the coolant reservoir seems to stay level.

The truck has only 33k miles.

Today I got home from about a 40-mile drive, not towing anything, and wasn’t hard on the truck; again smelled coolant, so I popped the hood to look again.

The upper rad hose was hard as it usually is after driving for a while, I opened the coolant tank, and it immediately overflowed coolant out of the tank?

This is my first Cummins, so I’m looking for some input? Is this a bad head gasket already?

Is it normal?
    If you chose to delete and leave in place the EGR, this could be a bit more difficult to detect.

As with some of the other members having eluded to, and my own personal experience that matches yours, I found the aft EGR coolant supply line leaking from the engine.

I finally found the leak and evidence of cooking off and no-drip (EGR removal and cleaning allowed a perfect visual).

The leak streamed to the back of the engine (under hood airflow) and left a visible jellied trail that tampered off at the back of the exhaust manifold.

Good luck!

Also, how about the turbo cooling lines and their path as well?

Great cooking temps there as well, LOL!

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post