Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal MTS

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Federal MTS

Those do look very cool. I hope they perform to your expectations.

Can't wait to see pics of them installed.

The large angled grooves should not have any issues in water unless there is something I am not seeing.

I had many trucks with basic street tires on them and drove through many nasty winters in Oregon without an issue so IMHO it's more about the driver than the tire in those conditions but a good tire does make a difference.

I bought aggressive tires in September 2020 to replace the factory Firestones.

In my research (I tend to over-research things) the reviews on a lot of the Federal tires were they were hard to get balanced right.

Often times taking a lot more weight than one would think.

They did rate well overall.

The Toyo's seem to fair much better in the balancing category and rated well for long term wear.

Good in snow but not so well on ice.

I ended up going with the stock size 285/65R20 Toyo M/T's and they did balance very well.

I had them road force balanced.

On a scale of 1-45 (lower being better) they all came out under 15 on the road force balance machine.

The Toyo's did cost more but I felt it was worth it in the log run.

2024 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4l Hemi
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

2. Likes SyN, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

Re: Federal MTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bpbertolacini View Post
    I did notice a lot of people being concerned about hydroplaineng, but I don't see how with the large sipeing on these. I will get them mounted in the spring and give my honest opinion once i put them through their paces.
    I think hydroplane resistance comes from grooves inline with the tire that gives a path for the water to travel at speed.

I don’t think if you’re on the freeway the water can’t travel at an angle to get out of the way of the tread fast enough.

I could be wrong.

At least that’s my reasoning for having any concerns at all.

Hence why so many highway tires have grooves that circle the entire tire.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123