Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Flare Is Back After Installation Of Hot Build Revmax Transmission

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Flare Is Back After Installation Of Hot Build Revmax Transmission

Purchased truck with 40k miles and decided to upgrade stock transmission with Valve body, Ultra Low Stall Converter, Trans coolant line thermostat delete block and Flex plate due to FLARE between
    4th 5th and 6th.

For a FACT the Ultra Low Stall converter and valve body took care of the Flare between 4th 5th and 6th.

I was very happy with this setup as the truck shifted perfect.

Just as I always do... I wanted to bullet proof the trans so I could add more power at a later time so decided to remove trans and converter and have them upgraded to 68RFE 700 HP.

Took a trip to Charlotte and dropped it off at Revmax and got it back in less than a week fully built 700 unit with same Ultra Low Stall converter.

Now that Ive got the trans and converter back in, the unwanted Flare came running right back JUST LIKE my stock unit before the upgraded v/b and Tq Conv.

With 450 miles and drive learn was done by the 200 mile mark, I cannot get the Flare to go away.

In 4th 5th and 6th the trans is locked then unlocks "flare" changes gear to next gear then locks up and repeats.

Does anyone have a clue if SONNAX makes a part for the valve body that i could add to this nice unit to at least make the flare a lot less noticeable.

I know that i still have the ultra low stall because the truck pulls as soon as you put it in gear with no throttle and is hard to stop just like when i added the ultra low stall to my stock unit.

Since programming cannot correct this I will have to self repair unit and im wondering if its a way to time the TCC shift values in 4th 5th and 6th with an ATS co-pilot.

The unit is under full warranty and is operating as company says it should.

Any suggestions as I like my 700 trans but would like to eliminate the flare?

17' 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L with MM3 by Tyler at T&K Performance , Revmax 700 68RFE , Industrial Injection Silver 69 Turblower, BBI Stage 1.5 injectors, Fleece PowerFlo 750 CP3, Fleece PowerFlo lift pump ARP 625 head studs, Hamilton Valve Springs & Pushrods FLEECE POWERFLOW 10MM coming off this weekend and S&S 12mm going on..

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Flare Is Back After Installation Of Hot Build Revmax Transmission

After some thought on this subject.

Is is possible that the torque converter that was refreshed have different tolerances than my previous ultra low stall converter?

I am also wondering could it be due to the fact that this 700 unit behaves differently than a stock unit and that there is more "time in unlock state" when shifting to 4th 5th and 6th?

What would determine "unlock then shift" time parameters?

Maybe all that needs to be addressed is when trans shifts from locked up 3rd to unlocked 3rd then to unlocked 4th?

Timing would be addressed in hard parts in valve body and or programming??

Im digging out the Mopar witech flight recorder!!

17' 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L with MM3 by Tyler at T&K Performance , Revmax 700 68RFE , Industrial Injection Silver 69 Turblower, BBI Stage 1.5 injectors, Fleece PowerFlo 750 CP3, Fleece PowerFlo lift pump ARP 625 head studs, Hamilton Valve Springs & Pushrods FLEECE POWERFLOW 10MM coming off this weekend and S&S 12mm going on..

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Not sure why the flare went away with your first converter and vb but flare is part of Mopar's programming to preserve the driveline.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Me neither.

I think it hilarious that I was instructed to install ULTRA LOW STALL CONVERTER and valve body to eliminate the flare and IT WORKED, but now that I spent decent money to improve.

Now let's stand on the other side of the fence and say "it does not suppose to eliminate flare"

Oh well, should have kept my stock unit with the VB and TQ conv that I was told WOULD eliminate the flare and DID.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

I don’t understand owners' obsession with shift flare in these trucks.

It’s a normal operation.

It is not going to reduce the life of your transmission in any way.

“Shift flare” is the torque converter going from full apply to partial apply during a shift, so it doesn’t shock internal parts and break them.

Most manufacturers use defuel during shifting Cummins unlocks the converter.

Unless you tow heavy, the ultra-low converter is a little much, to begin with.

There’s nothing in the valve body that will help.

The only way to truly get rid of it is locked shifts.

But then you’ll have extremely harsh shifts, especially if you got a triple-disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

If you're hammering it, it will shift plenty fast.

Just going to save the life of your transmission w/ the flare under normal driving conditions.

If it really bothers you, have it tuned out, and you will probably grenade that trans racing around w/ locked shifts.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, steadly2004 thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    If you're hammering it, it will shift plenty fast.

Just going to save the life of your transmission w/ the flare under normal driving conditions.

If it really bothers you, have it tuned out, and you will probably grenade that trans racing around w/ locked shifts.
    Full lock-up is not an option.

Comparing everything to my stock unit with the revmax Ultra-Low stall torque converter and valve body, it seems my hot build came back with a "stock stall."

I will be removing the torque converter and replacing it with the ULTRA LOW stall converter as that "masked" the issue with the flare!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Update 4/25/2021, reprogrammed MM3 with the CORRECT software from Tyler at T & K Performance and Transmission now shift smooth, gears are spaced out perfectly, upshifts and downshifts dependant on grade and rpm and engine load is AWESOME.

The truck feels like a new truck with no flare.

Tuner never used the word "NO" just told me what would be safe and great for my build and let me decide.

No more NOs, only Yes, and let me know if you need anything else.

I hope this helps others with the "shift flare."

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moparriggan View Post
    Update 4/25/2021, reprogrammed MM3 with the CORRECT software from Tyler at T & K Performance and Transmission now shift smooth, gears are spaced out perfectly, upshifts and downshifts dependant on grade and rpm and engine load is AWESOME.

The truck feels like a new truck with no flare.

Tuner never used the word "NO" just told me what would be safe and great for my build and let me decide.

No more NOs, only Yes, and let me know if you need anything else.

I hope this helps others with the "shift flare."
    Did you switch from someone else's tuning to T&K then your flare issue went away?

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post