Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Rear Dif - Did I Mess It Up?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rear Dif - Did I Mess It Up?

Update 2/25 11am -solved. Its quiet now. I set it to three threads. Caliper read 2.9 from the bottom of the poinion shaft to the edge of the nut. I must have messed up the zero on it.

Original:
    I swapped out a leaky rear dif pinion seal.

I went to tighten it and tightened it passed the original 2 threads to 2.5 threads at 3.1mm on the caliper. I thought it was 3 threads but my caliper says 2.

It was .6mm more than the original 2.54mm at 2 threads.

I backed the nut all the way off again, added more blue thread lock and went to 2.54mm 2 threads. Is the extra .6mm going to screw it up? I didn't have the jaw clamps to pull the yoke off but I hit it a few times. Not sure if that worked.

I was thinking it was 3 threads, but then stopped to double checked my caliper readings.

I watched a video that mentioned a crush washer in there.

Did I screw up if I tightened it too much?

I did put RTV for gear oil on the pinion shaft like they do OEM and a couple videos mentioned to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: 2/24
    If the crush washer/sleeve was too tight wouldn't I hear howling all the time vs just on deceleration?

I read that of it's too loose, it will make noise on deceleration. I hear a howling sound on deceleration only. It feels like a chain drive vehicle like the teeth are rattling or grinding while coasting, like a chain over a sprocket.

I could have sworn I counted 3 threads when I took the nut off. I marked them w a sharpy but wiped it clean during the seal replacement. The calipers read 2.54mm and I wrote that on the housing. The problem is, did I accidently zero the calipers somehow when measuring and moving them into place before removing the nut the first time, thus get a wrong reading.... I accidentally did that when I measured the nut on re installation. The zero button is right next to where you put your fingers on the calipers. I can't imagine I zeroed it at the exact spot to loose 1 thread though.

I used the sealant on the pinon like you are supposed to do. Maybe I tightened it too much and the yoke stayed in place even when I loosened the nut to 2.54mm.

I'm going to pull the yoke out with a jaw clamp. Put the nut on 2 threads and make sure the yoke was not stuck in too deep.
    ---------------------
    Update 2/25 9am
    After backing the yoke out and setting to 2.54mm its still making noise only on deceleration. I even I even put it in neutral to coast and then turned off the key so I could hear really well and I'm hearing it. So I have to assume my 3 threads was right and I accidentally zeroed the calipers some how.

In reverse coasting in neutral it is smooth, also no sounds

Update2/25 10am:
    With my head out of the window coasting in nuetral I can definitely here noise not grinding per se. No noise at all coasting in reverse. It has to be loose right?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rear Dif - Did I Mess It Up?

I think you will be fine.

Run it for a day or to and keep eye on it to see if it leaks.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

3. Likes Stewbuntu, SyN liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Should be just fine.

The aam’s are set pretty loose from the factory anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes Stewbuntu, SyN liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If the crush washer/sleeve was too tight wouldn't I hear howling all the time vs just on deceleration?

I read it's too loose if it makes noise on deceleration.

I hear a howling sound on deceleration only.

I could have sworn I counted 3 threads when I took the nut off.

I marked them w a sharpy but wiped it clean during the seal replacement.

The calipers read 2.54mm and I wrote that on the housing.

The problem is, did I accidently zero the calipers somehow when measuring and moving them into place, thus get a wrong reading?

I accidentally did that when I measured the nut when on re installation.

The zero button is right next to where you put your fingers on the calipers.

I can't imagine I zeroed it at the exact spot to lose 1 thread though.

I used the sealant on the pinon like you are supposed to do.

Maybe I tightened it too much and the yoke stayed in place even when I loosened the nut to 2.54mm.

I'm going to pull the yoke out with a jaw clamp.

Put the nut on 2 threads and make sure the yoke was not stuck in too deep.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.