Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Firm Shift From 1-2 68RFE - Please Help!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Firm Shift From 1-2 68RFE - Please Help!

2018 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Tradesman
    68RFE (no mods) 3.42 35" tires
    Recently Deleted with MM3
    40K miles
    Deleted at 38K miles

Day 1 - Install all parts in a couple days. Everything went good, no codes no leaks, and seemed to be working well besides a very firm shift between 1st and 2nd gear.

Day 4 - Contact tuner and ask if the 1-2 shift is normal, ended up being the Throttle valve still being plugged in. S***!

Day 5-6 - Still notice a "firm" shift in 1-2. Contact tuner tuner and ask them to change a few shifts and lower the 1-2 shift.

Day 7 - I install new tune and we got all the other shift points ironed out but 1-2 has a "firmness" to it. Pretty much gave it to being the transmission having to "learn" everything again cause issue had subsided a little bit.

Month later - Still having the same firmness to it and just doesnt feel like it used to pre-delete.

15% Throttle Position and Below - Trans shifts perfectly fine at 10 mph.

16%-21% Throttle Position - Trans shifts at 15 mph at high rpms with a firmness and feels like it is holding onto first for way to long.

+21% Throttle Position - Trans shifts fine at 15 mph and feels like a good shift.

Feels perfectly fine in Tow/Haul mode at any throttle position.

New Tune?
    New Tuner?
    New/Rebuiild Trans? (please dont say that!)

Did I mess trans up when I left throttle valve plugged in for the first couple of days?

Have kept in on Level 3 which is like 60-70HP.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Firm Shift From 1-2 68RFE - Please Help!

Sounds like a tuning issue to me.

Throttle valve won’t have any effect on something like that.

I had mine plugged in for months after being deleted and didn’t have a problem.

I’d data log if you can and go back to tuner.

They may not ask for it but at least you’ll have it.

If they won’t continue to serve you then time for a new tuner.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks wilsonkev.13 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Did you do a relearn and quick learn process on the transmission after installing the tuner and flashing the ecm?

2016. Laramie 2500, 68RFE, CC 4x4. DRD Medical plan. factory rear air. 2” lift/level. 35x12.5, Revmax vb with deep pan. ARP 425 head studs.

6. Thanks wilsonkev.13 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

First thing I'll say is remember a firm shift is way better than a soft shift.

That said, making a 68 shift solid, but feel smooth isn't easy.

It could be a tuning issue.

It could be a user issue.

By that I mean your trans might be perfectly happy with that firm shift, it's just you that's not.

So the tuner needs to find a happy medium between what's best for the trans, and what gives the user a feel good feeling.

Either way I think tuning is the answer.

Throttle valve has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

8. Thanks wilsonkev.13 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the responses!

Gives me a little better piece of mind that I didn’t mess up trans with having throttle valve still plugged in.

From my research (reading online forums) it seems that every time you install a new tune or reinstall current tune, it resets CVI values to 0 and trans Goes through a relearn process.

Is there another/better way to do a trans relearn?

What level do you keep it on while trans is “learning” on the new tune?

So when I initially did the install, I did not give trans time to adjust to new tune just drove it how I normally did. I did get on the pedal a few times as I wanted to feel the new power my pickup had but never full throttle. Maybe that messed something up then?

Started reading online (this is when I figured out about CVI values and such) I reinstalled current tune and did A BUNCH of 0-75 mph and 75-0 mph at 10-30% throttle position To let trans cycle through all the gears. Still has a little “firmness” from 1-2 going up at 16-21% throttle position. I figured the trans would figure it out by now but it hasn’t.

Was reading on another site that people were comparing CVI values to see if they were in range for a proper functioning 68 but everyone had EZlynk.

Is there a way to view CVI values on MM3?

The only reason it is scaring me is because the trans never shifted this way before, and I am trying my hardest to not be in the market for a new 68.

Contacted the tuner, hopefully he will get back to me by Monday and I’m really hoping it’s a tuning issue and not clutches or gears being burnt up.

Thanks!

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonkev.13 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses!

Gives me a little better piece of mind that I didn’t mess up trans with having throttle valve still plugged in.

From my research (reading online forums) it seems that every time you install a new tune or reinstall current tune, it resets CVI values to 0 and trans Goes through a relearn process.

Is there another/better way to do a trans relearn?

What level do you keep it on while trans is “learning” on the new tune?

So when I initially did the install, I did not give trans time to adjust to new tune just drove it how I normally did. I did get on the pedal a few times as I wanted to feel the new power my pickup had but never full throttle. Maybe that messed something up then?

Started reading online (this is when I figured out about CVI values and such) I reinstalled current tune and did A BUNCH of 0-75 mph and 75-0 mph at 10-30% throttle position To let trans cycle through all the gears. Still has a little “firmness” from 1-2 going up at 16-21% throttle position. I figured the trans would figure it out by now but it hasn’t.

Was reading on another site that people were comparing CVI values to see if they were in range for a proper functioning 68 but everyone had EZlynk.

Is there a way to view CVI values on MM3?

The only reason it is scaring me is that the trans never shifted this way before, and I am trying my hardest to not be in the market for a new 68.

Contacted the tuner, hopefully, he will get back to me by Monday and I’m hoping it’s a tuning issue and not clutches or gears being burnt up.

Thanks!
    The best way to relearn is to have a scan tool and into settings to quickly learn the process.

Then drive not exceeding 30% of the throttle in traffic for a couple of hundred miles or so I think if I remember right.

@Chrisn162001 is knowledgeable in this area, also somewhere on this forum is a Revmax relearn procedure.

2016. Laramie 2500, 68RFE, CC 4x4. DRD Medical plan. factory rear air. 2” lift/level. 35x12.5, Revmax vb with deep pan. ARP 425 head studs.

12. Likes watersupply189, wilsonkev.13 liked this post