Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Story - Many Upgrades Later - Radio Not Working

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Long Story - Many Upgrades Later - Radio Not Working

So I have a 2016 RAM 2500 that originally came with the 5.0" RA2 radio.

I upgraded through infotainment.com to the 8.4" RA4 and had 0 issues with their OEM dash kit included with the new radio.

Last year I upgraded again to the 8.4" UAS(non-nav) car play radio, and it was working up until it started getting colder.

I started the truck this morning key-in-ignition remote start was not used, and the block heater was plugged in since it was on 7 degrees out this morning and the truck starts right up the lights on the HVAC are blue, and the radio is off(black screen) physical buttons do nothing.

If I turn on the defroster, the little orange light does not come on, but the defroster works.

No, since this isn't the first time this has happened, I checked the Radio 20A in-line fuse behind the passenger battery, and it too is good; I even swapped it out with a new one and tried a 25A fuse too. Pulling the fuse and putting it back in gets the radio going again, and the radio and HVAC control all work again.

I've tried so many things, not plugging in the block heater, using/not using remote start, there is no consistency other than the cold weather here in NY.

Please help; I miss my music early in the morning; I almost got some frostbite trying to pull the fuse again this morning without gloves on, LOL.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

2. Likes Compensation_cummins, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Long Story - Many Upgrades Later - Radio Not Working

Completely unrelated.

Do you happen to have an RA2 for sale?

Sorry I suck and have no other input LOL.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4. Likes Krazy8twofour liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bfg2500 View Post
    So I have a 2016 RAM 2500 that originally came with the 5.0" RA2 radio.

I upgraded through infotainment.com to the 8.4" RA4 and had 0 issues with their OEM dash kit included with the new radio.

Last year I upgraded again to the 8.4" UAS(non-nav) car play radio, and it was working up until it started getting colder.

I started the truck this morning key-in-ignition remote start was not used, and the block heater was plugged in since it was on 7 degrees out this morning and the truck starts right up the lights on the HVAC are blue, and the radio is off(black screen) physical buttons do nothing.

If I turn on the defroster, the little orange light does not come on, but the defroster works.

No, since this isn't the first time this has happened, I checked the Radio 20A in-line fuse behind the passenger battery, and it too is good; I even swapped it out with a new one and tried a 25A fuse too. Pulling the fuse and putting it back in gets the radio going again, and the radio and HVAC control all work again.

I've tried so many things, not plugging in the block heater, using/not using remote start, there is no consistency other than the cold weather here in NY.

Please help; I miss my music early in the morning; I almost got some frostbite trying to pull the fuse again this morning without gloves on, LOL.
    My truck did this with RA1 in cold weather - no music, knobs do nothing.

Screen would be on though.

I bought a RA 2 and put it in.

Same issue- it happened the other morning here.

I hadn’t driven the truck for about a week and it was in the 20s.

After riding down the road a ways it finally kicked on.

My gut tells me this is a ECM/computer thing that when it’s cold and your voltage is down (relatively speaking) it kills the “extra” things trying to draw power.

I have seen guys with this issue and their heated seats not working.

Sorry I don’t have a solution but just a thought.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post

My gut tells me this is a ECM/computer thing that when it’s cold and your voltage is down (relatively speaking) it kills the “extra” things trying to draw power.

Great theory, just thinking he could rule out this possibility by trickle charging the batteries overnight to see if the issue goes away.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks TexNeck thanked for this post
    Likes TexNeck, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Great theory, just thinking he could rule out this possibility by trickle charging the batteries overnight to see if the issue goes away.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

I believe there may be some truth to both of these.

If it were me I'd follow Bob rule out weak batteries.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have a factory unconnect in my 16 and sometimes after I drive the truck shut it off and get back in and start it up the screen does not come on and the buttons don't work.

Then I start driving down the road and it always comes back on, definitely weird.

I have newer batteries and I do trickle charge the weeks I don't drive the truck.

So I always figured it was low voltage as well but I'm not entirely sure, at least you not alone!!

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I’m trickle charging the passenger battery tonight.

I pull the radio fuse to reset it since after unlocking the truck tonight the radio was dead again, might have to figure out some sort of dual trickle charge setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

14. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’m trickle charging the passenger battery tonight, I pull the radio fuse to reset it since after unlocking the truck tonight the radio was dead again, might have to figure out some sort of dual trickle charge setup

Good deal, worth a try.

Your batteries are in parallel, so charging either one will charge both. Depending on how low they are a 5 amp charger/maintainer should be sufficient over night.

I would recommend continuing this for a while to confirm your results.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Likes bfg2500 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

So I left the batteries on a 6amp trickle charge all weekend, I removed the trickle charger and plugged in the block heater for about 30 minutes(9F degree's here this morning) I started the truck and the radio was dead again, I pulled the fuse and voila it worked again as usual. I for sure thought it was the batteries but now the dead radio is still happening even with the batteries fully charged.

18. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

So I left the batteries on a 6amp trickle charge all weekend, I removed the trickle charger and plugged in the block heater for about 30 minutes(9F degree's here this morning) I started the truck and the radio was dead again, I pulled the fuse and voila it worked again as usual. I for sure thought it was the batteries but now the dead radio is still happening even with the batteries fully charged.
    Well at least you ruled out the batteries. Perhaps for now you should splice a switch inline with the fuse and mount it in the cab. LOL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast