Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Story - Many Upgrades Later - Radio Not Working

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Long Story - Many Upgrades Later - Radio Not Working

Seriously very close to that point, just deciding on what switch to go with. LOL

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

2. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bfg2500 View Post
    Seriously very close to that point, just deciding on what switch to go with. LOL
    I hear you at this point.

Just make sure the amperage rating of the switch and wires exceed 20 Amps DC.

You may get lucky and find the red power wire where it goes to the radio to make install easier.

Radio Fuse Diagram.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I wonder, could a block heater be causing the short to the radio? I noticed sometimes lately when it’s really cold or wet outside the harness to plug the heater in sparks a little bit and will pop the breaker to my outside outlets. Could this short also be enough to zap the radio. The radio fuse is fine but maybe the shitty block heater harness is messing with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

6. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bfg2500 View Post
    I wonder, could a block heater be causing the short to the radio? I noticed sometimes lately when it’s really cold or wet outside the harness to plug the heater in sparks a little bit and will pop the breaker to my outside outlets. Could this short also be enough to zap the radio. The radio fuse is fine but maybe the shitty block heater harness is messing with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s a possibility, sounds like the block heater harness is arcing to ground. I would replace that harness anyway for safety sake. Does the radio work fine when not using the block heater?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Still testing the theory of the block heater, didn't plug it in this morning but had the batts on a NOCO 5 amp maintainer and radio was fine.

Been monitoring the voltage in the dash display while driving and it's a constant 14V running and 11V before startup.

I think I'm going to order a new block heater harness as it's pretty $hit-shape for surviving 5 NY winters so far, plug is corroded (greenish-blue corrosion probably from all the road salt they dump here.

10. Likes SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

you need to do the NOCO plug mod like i did! Granted this is my first winter with my ram, but when not in use, the plug keeps crud out of the male plug adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-16-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

hardest part is just running the wire, finding zip ties, and also finding a 2-1/2 (or 2" can't remember) hole saw

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

12. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I actually ordered the NOCO plug this morning already, thanks for the reassurance

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    you need to do the NOCO plug mod like i did! Granted this is my first winter with my ram, but when not in use, the plug keeps crud out of the male plug adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-16-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

hardest part is just running the wire, finding zip ties, and also finding a 2-1/2 (or 2" can't remember) hole saw

14. Likes BubbaJo, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

not a problem! i know a couple guys on here have done it, and a co-worker of mine did it as well. Super easy install, looks clean and keeps things clean too!

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

16. Likes AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    not a problem! i know a couple guys on here have done it, and a co-worker of mine did it as well. Super easy install, looks clean and keeps things clean too!

18. Likes BubbaJo liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

If the block heater has continuity to ground this could definitely cause issues with the radio if there isn't a method in play to isolate ac noise from radio circuitry.

I am now curious and will monitor. I will say I have a 8.4 usa version hd without alpine amp or navigation enabled and have seen battery saver mode enabled many times due to low temperatures but have never seen my radio disabled

20. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast