Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE Transmission Preventative Modifications / Upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1

68RFE Transmission Preventative Modifications / Upgrades

I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding the two options posted below in regards to my 68RFE Trans.

I am in a bit of a conundrum and would like to ask for some help regarding my transmission. I don't know how many threads I have looked over regarding the 68RFE transmission but I still am unable to make up my mind on what I am going to do.

Truck:
    2012 3500 4x4, 6.7 with spark "plugs", RaceMe Ultra Box Tunes with trans tune "stock setting", 75,000 KMS or 47,000 Miles. Running the box tune at duration of 60hp, 1850 fuel pressure, 23* timing, torque setting at mild, turbo on economy spool. Does not have bypass to worry about. Please see signature for full details.

I want to get ahead of my 68RFE in terms of beefing it up a bit and increasing reliability. I am not planning on ever running more than 120hp tune on the RaceMe (preferably 60hp - 90hp). I will be getting in touch with DRD to get a custom tune for it with trans tuning.

I am on a budget and I drive my truck responsibly. Only tow 4,000lbs but through passes when I do.

My question is: What should I do?

1) BD Protect68, BD Pan, Revmax transmission spin on filter screw, custom trans tuning from DRD, full trans fluid / filter service

2) RevMax Valve Body, Revmax transmission spin on filter screw, BD Pan, custom trans tuning from DRD, full trans fluid / filter service

Please let me know what option you would go with and why. At this time I am not considering even touching the torque converter but maybe down the road.

From my understanding increased line pressure is a good thing but cross leakage is a bad thing so its a double edged sword that needs to be dealt with at the same time.

Thanks

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN, timshooter40, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post
    I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding the two options posted below in regards to my 68RFE Trans.

I am in a bit of a conundrum and would like to ask for some help regarding my transmission. I don't know how many threads I have looked over regarding the 68RFE transmission but I still am unable to make up my mind on what I am going to do.

Truck:
    2012 3500 4x4, 6.7 with spark "plugs", RaceMe Ultra Box Tunes with trans tune "stock setting", 75,000 KMS or 47,000 Miles. Running the box tune at duration of 60hp, 1850 fuel pressure, 23* timing, torque setting at mild, turbo on economy spool. Does not have bypass to worry about. Please see signature for full details.

I want to get ahead of my 68RFE in terms of beefing it up a bit and increasing reliability. I am not planning on ever running more than 120hp tune on the RaceMe (preferably 60hp - 90hp). I will be getting in touch with DRD to get a custom tune for it with trans tuning.

I am on a budget and I drive my truck responsibly. Only tow 4,000lbs but through passes when I do.

1) BD Protect68, BD Pan, Revmax transmission spin on filter screw, custom trans tuning from DRD, full trans fluid / filter service

2) RevMax Valve Body, Revmax transmission spin on filter screw, BD Pan, custom trans tuning from DRD, full trans fluid / filter service

Please let me know what option you would go with and why. At this time I am not considering even touching the torque converter but maybe down the road.

From my understanding increased line pressure is a good thing but cross leakage is a bad thing so its a double edged sword that needs to be dealt with at the same time.

Thanks
    I recommend option 2.

The Revmax VB does a lot of good with trans tuning.

An added capacity trans pan is always better for cooling.

PM or email me and I can get you fixed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks ECLIPSE22 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Might want to check clutch values prior to either 1 or 2.

This way it will give you an idea how healthy the transmission is and save you from doing work on a marginal transmission.

An OB scan tool is needed to see the clutch values and not all are created equally.

2018 srw 3500

6. Thanks ECLIPSE22 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post

Truck:

Thanks
    Option 2.

If you call BD direct they will tell you the protect a plate is a band aid and is only recommended for short term.

I run the RevMax HD valve body, bypass, and pan.

I’ve been happy and would do it again.

I run 120-200 tunes regularly.

So far so good

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks ECLIPSE22 thanked for this post
    Likes ECLIPSE22, watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    I have the RaceME Ultra box trans tune so it can command higher line pressure by selecting the aftermarket trans option.

I may have to wait a bit to get the custom tune if I go with the Valve Body and Pan (budget).

Still want to go with DRD custom tune but would have to wait a bit.

Do you run box tunes for trans line pressure or are you running a custom tune?

I may have to wait to do it all at once instead of doing it separately.

Thanks

10. Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Option 2.

If you call BD direct they will tell you the protect a plate is a band aid and is only recommended for short term.

I run the RevMax HD valve body, bypass, and pan.

I’ve been happy and would do it again.

I run 120-200 tunes regularly.

So far so good
    How long have you been running this setup?

Still good?

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MillsRam View Post
    How long have you been running this setup?

Still good?

It hasn't been too long relatively speaking.

Since Sept of last year and about 8k miles.

Yes so far so good.

I try to only get into it when the converter is locked and stay out of the OD clutches.

Shifts feel way better with the VB and temps are cool 120-130 consistently.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Likes watersupply189, Murph, SyN liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Transmission Preventative Modifications / Upgrades

I went with this kit, and Ray's tuning..

So far so good!

https://nextgendiesel.com/collection...32949452570704

15. Likes watersupply189, Lopie, SyN liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    I went with this kit, and Ray's tuning..

So far so good!

https://nextgendiesel.com/collection...32949452570704
    I also run this kit with bypass and Ray's tuning.

‘17 Laramie MC 4x4 DRW, Blessed by DRD, Grid heater delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS thermo bypass, Mud Flaps

'11 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, H&S deletes, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on 20" Motometals (SOLD)
    '17 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 DRW, Blessed By DRD, Grid Heater Delete, Bulletproof 68 kit, ATS Thermo bypass, Mud Flaps
    '17 Vengeance 320A Toy Hauler

Enjoying Life One Day at a Time.

17. Likes watersupply189, Aj Grubb, SyN liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Sorry to Hi-Jack a old thread - by my post falls into Preventive Maintenance for the 68RFE.
    Instead of creating another Post - I figured this was a good spot.

I have always installed these on my trucks when I had a presentable location (Upstream of the Cooler after leaving the Transmission) - I think I seen a couple spots where I could install this when I installed the ATS - ATF Thermal By-Pass Delete unit.

I just have to figure out the Diameter of the ATF rubber hose - I know flow is not drastically hampered by this filter - so one more preventive maintenance filter in place will only give me piece of mind the ATF is staying decently clean - Yes I know the Micron Rating of the Magnafine is not that eye catching (25-30 microns) which I seen a couple years ago.

Might be a good possible preventive maintenance filter to add @ the time I drop my OEM 68RFE pan and replace with the PPE pan.

https://www.magnefinefilters.com/

Any thoughts? or do ya think this is overkill - My Common Sense tells me if flow is not restricted - Any chance to achieve another ATF filter pass is a positive modification.
    It's of course another filter to change - but for those of us who do our own maintenance and not afraid to get our hands dirty - this is a piece of cake to replace.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

19. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast