Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: G56 Swap - 2016 4th Gen RAM Truck - Cummins 6.7L

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

G56 Swap - 2016 4th Gen RAM Truck - Cummins 6.7L

So I will start by saying that up to this point, I feel like I have researched this topic collectively for about 40-50 hours, and that isn't an exaggeration.

I have everything that is needed for a complete swap, but I'm still nervous because I haven't seen/talked to anyone that's done it on a late 4th gen (from what I've seen)

So my intentions with this thread are to A) continue to collect data before the actual swap (t-minus 13 days) and B) share any info that I can along the way.

My hope is when I am all done, I will write a complete detailed swap "instructions" like there is for some of the 3rd gen trucks and early 4th gens.

If you have any words of wisdom or knowledge, please share and help me and any others thinking about doing this and wants more knowledge, Thanks!

Ok, let's get into what I have/know!!

My truck is a 2016 tradesman w/68RFE and 4x4 manual t-case (great canvas for the swap)

The donor truck was a 2014 tradesman G56 and 4x4 manual t-case.

As far as parts go, I Bought a complete kit from a salvage yard that often puts these together. It includes G56 trans, including shift tower, clutch, flywheel, hydraulics, front driveshaft, trans mount, cross member, all interior pieces I would need, whole trans wiring harness, complete clutch pedal/brake assembly, and all the nuts and bolts that belong to the corresponding parts.

I truly think I have everything I can think of except a rear driveshaft that would fit my cab/bed config, but that's ok. I got a driveshaft place shortening my current 2" for only 100$

Things that I have bought after doing some research and were suggested or I need: G56/48re adapter plate as the ones that come on these truck are .300 to thick in comparison (per the experts) and a camshaft seal to complete that install. I am also buying a Valair clutch from Dude's diesel to handle my truck's HP.

Overall the install should be moderately easy. The transfer case and drive shafts will install with no issue (minus the length issue), hole in the floor is easy to cut, clutch and brake peddle can be a pain in the *** from what I hear, but nothing a few beers cant handle and then running the hydraulics is easy.

I guess my biggest worry is wiring the natural safety switch. I'm still on the fence about swapping out the complete wiring harness that I got with the kit as I would like to have reverse lights and my camera to work, but not sure how 100% percent the harness is from the 2014 to 2016 truck. I have seen and read many other reports and what wire to ground out and hear it is different through the years, so some help on that would be great for those who know or have done in on the newer fourth gens. Otherwise, it just seems like it's not much different than a typical tranny/clutch job. I also will DRD handling my manual file to make things complete.

Well, thanks for the read.

Let me know if you have any questions or have any input that I should/need to know.

Thanks, guys!

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 | MM3 by DRD | 5" FloPro TBE | AFE CAI | Pusher intake horn w/grid heater delete plenum plate | MDC diesel 110# valve springs & HD push rods | Xotic head studs |Nextgen diesel DIY bulletproof 68RFE kit | ATS thermal bypass | Airdog 165 kit | Fleece fuel filter delete | 30% over injectors | CCV delete | DC Matrix 20x9 on a 33x12.5 | Traxda 1" front spacer |

2. Thanks watersupply189, jeffplunkett, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Crshanta, Corkey liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Following!!

Great writeup and sounds like you got all the stuff you need.

I didn’t see it but maybe check and/or replace your rear main seal while everything is out and on the ground.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I’ll definitely check it but the truck only has 50k miles on it.

It’s lived a pretty easy life up to this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 | MM3 by DRD | 5" FloPro TBE | AFE CAI | Pusher intake horn w/grid heater delete plenum plate | MDC diesel 110# valve springs & HD push rods | Xotic head studs |Nextgen diesel DIY bulletproof 68RFE kit | ATS thermal bypass | Airdog 165 kit | Fleece fuel filter delete | 30% over injectors | CCV delete | DC Matrix 20x9 on a 33x12.5 | Traxda 1" front spacer |

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Good vibes and moral support are included with your clutch purchase so you should be good to go!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks Yellen88, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Yellen88, watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Good vibes and moral support are included with your clutch purchase so you should be good to go!
    I hope that’s all it takes and it goes smoothly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Re: G56 Swap - 2016 4th Gen RAM Truck - Cummins 6.7L

Any progress on the swap?

I am interested in the same swap.

On the fence with a G56, or built 68RFE or something else.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: G56 Swap - 2016 4th Gen RAM Truck - Cummins 6.7L

OK, your truck will have 800-foot lbs torque; the G56 is usually toned down.

But a good clutch can overcome the stock weak clutch, but how will the G56 do?

What about engine software?

You have one trying to run a transmission, maybe alpha OBD to make some changes.

It would be nice if you have the entire truck during the swap; you know there will be surprises.

I ordered my truck brand new; I opted for the G56 only because Chrysler never could build a good auto.

They have the Aisin now, a great unit.

Good luck; the Tradesman is probably the best candidate if one is going to do this.

I kind of wished I have a manual shifter T case vs the electric one.

But it's been seamless for years.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post