Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Secondary Fuel Filter Question

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Secondary Fuel Filter Question

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Interesting question, I have the Cat Fuel Filter Kit installed

https://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/13_...ilter_kit.html

I am still running the stock front filter and will be inspecting it at each filter change. I see that a front filter delete kit is available, and they simply bypass and remove the front filter housing and disconnect the heater but leave the WIF sensor operational. I would think you could leave the front filter housing in place without the filter if you wish and leave the heater and WIF sensor hooked up, but personally I would prefer to have the extra filtration left in place.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes I’m starting to think this same thing. Extra filtration can’t hurt only thing I worry about is the factor pump in the tank. I have been looking at inline pumps and using it if it ever fails and take out my unit in the tank and modify it removing the pump adding a larger fuel line I can make my own with aftermarket fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    Yes I’m starting to think this same thing. Extra filtration can’t hurt only thing I worry about is the factor pump in the tank. I have been looking at inline pumps and using it if it ever fails and take out my unit in the tank and modify it removing the pump adding a larger fuel line I can make my own with aftermarket fittings.

Yes I understand your concern, I don’t know how much additional restriction we are adding with the additional filter and what effect or long term effect it has if any on the stock lift pump. I also was just thinking about the “O” ring that could leak when inspecting the front filter. Hopefully someone will have more knowledge on the additional filter restriction and the success of leaving the front filter out.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

The truck will not run without a filter in the front. I have the kit below. I recently changed the both filters in the back. I removed the filter front but left the bowl. When I went to start the truck it just wouldn't start. I'd pop the lid it would start then die. I went to the dealer bought a brand new filter started right up. There must be some kind of valve that the filter opens when it is installed. I called the guys at throttle up and let them know so hopefully they will put something on the website.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

18 BigHorn 2500 Delmonico Red

5. Thanks AK Bob, Gerald636, watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbitt View Post
    The truck will not run without a filter in the front. I have the kit below. I recently changed the both filters in the back. I removed the filter front but left the bowl. When I went to start the truck it just wouldn't start. I'd pop the lid it would start then die. I went to the dealer bought a brand new filter started right up. There must be some kind of valve that the filter opens when it is installed. I called the guys at throttle up and let them know so hopefully they will put something on the website.

That’s the filter kit I have.

I have never tried running without the secondary but glad to see someone has tried.

I’ll just leave it in and check it every fuel filter change.

Would be nice if someone came out with something to install in the bowl that allows it to run normal and bypass it but I see it as @AK Bob does it’s just added filtration.

I don’t see anything getting past the cat filter.

Thanks for the update.

7. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

My truck wouldn't start either when I used that kit and left the front filter canister empty.

I actually have the front filter delete block available I might put up for sale here since I have no use for it.

Also I switched from Cat to Donaldson filters because of Aluminum galling.

I just plan on running three filters.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

9. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    My truck wouldn't start either when I used that kit and left the front filter canister empty.

I actually have the front filter delete block available I might put up for sale here since I have no use for it.

How do you like the Donaldson filters? I use fleetguard FF5814 filters and it takes a few trys to get the threads lined up properly, its annoying.

I thought about buying the delete kit, I have decided if I want to or not yet. I do like have a second nanonet filter and water separator.

11. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    That’s the filter kit I have.

I have never tried running without the secondary but glad to see someone has tried.

I’ll just leave it in and check it every fuel filter change.

Would be nice if someone came out with something to install in the bowl that allows it to run normal and bypass it but I see it as @AK Bob does it’s just added filtration.

I don’t see anything getting past the cat filter.

Thanks for the update.

Glad I can help!

13. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post

The Donaldson filters have a 11 micron rating whereas the cat has a 2 micron rating. I’ve never had any issues with galling been running cats on heavy equipment for years. So a few $s more cat is a much better filter

15. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Last time I checked, the Donaldson Blue was rated at 2 micron. I've used then since they came out. Easier for me to get than the Cat and cost less. Both are good filters.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

17. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

How do you like the Donaldson filters? I use fleetguard FF5814 filters and it takes a few trys to get the threads lined up properly, its annoying.

I thought about buying the delete kit, I have decided if I want to or not yet. I do like have a second nanonet filter and water separator.

They work and have about 2k miles as of this post otherwise if you want to keep it all Fleetguard you can keep your Fleetguard FF5814 or swap to the bigger FF5817

The thread is same still have to get it perfect to thread, almost impossible to cross thread them.

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

19. Thanks cbitt thanked for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast