Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  152
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secondary Fuel Filter Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Secondary Fuel Filter Question

I have been looking at the fleece delete for the Under hood filter and was wondering why can’t a guy run it without that filter?

Would it hurt if I left it empty?

Does it have to have a filter inside of it to run properly?

I have upgraded my fuel filters and it is no longer needed.

I was just wondering this before I spend money on something that might not be needed.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Secondary Fuel Filter Question

I'm not sure about running with it empty, but the rear "add a filter" kits I've seen say you barely need to change the front filter if left in place.

Since it stays so clean, you only need to change it for like mildew buildup or something like that, in theory.

Maybe just pop a clean one in, run it, and monitor it for a while?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes running cat filters which are way better than the stock.

Micron is better than the secondary so I have no need for it.

I have ran it last 2 filter changes so I guess I’ll take it out and see what it looks like.

If it looks good I’ll put it back in and keep running it.

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have and older truck, but when I installed a per-filter and final filter prior to the stock filter.

I removed the stock filter just leaving the housing as a moisture catcher.

As time went on, I never found water in the housing drain and never has a problem.

Been like that for over 100k.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

What’s upgraded?

Like a FASS system?

I'm not sure off hand but wonder if the EVIC wouldn’t like it for some reason.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, Gerald636, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I run the Cat filter kit on my 2018. Along with all the rest of the stock filters. Each time I service the truck I check the filter on the engine and it looks new so I just leave it in there and put the lid back on. Pictures below are last time I inspected it. It has just over 25,000 miles on it. I figure since I'm stock it's not hurting anything being in there and not costing me anything when I service the truck othere than a few minutes to peak inside. Maybe I'm wrong. Is there any benefit to removing it other than cost and space??

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

10. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes Gerald636, watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Secondary Fuel Filter Question

I ran a FASS unit on my 3rd gen. but I decided to go with the Fleece lift pump on my 2019. I am running both BMP/Cat filters and the Fleece lift pump and haven’t had any issues.

I am not sure that the factory lift pump lifespan will be long with the restriction of the added filtration.

12. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes Gerald636, watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I have the cat filter kit along with the factory water fuel separator. The filter under hood seems to be there not providing any added benefit just a restriction

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by allbizns View Post
    I run the Cat filter kit on my 2018. Along with all the rest of the stock filters. Each time I service the truck I check the filter on the engine and it looks new so I just leave it in there and put the lid back on. Pictures below are last time I inspected it. It has just over 25,000 miles on it. I figure since I'm stock it's not hurting anything being in there and not costing me anything when I service the truck othere than a few minutes to peak inside. Maybe I'm wrong. Is there any benefit to removing it other than cost and space??https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...22e3618dc1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...31169a5b2a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fef3fb5b45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Yes mine looks the same I have just over 30K now on mine.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    I have been looking at the fleece delete for the Under hood filter and was wondering why can’t a guy run it without that filter?

Would it hurt if I left it empty?

Does it have to have a filter inside of it to run properly?

I have upgraded my fuel filters and it is no longer needed.

I was just wondering this before I spend money on something that might not be needed.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Interesting question, I have the Cat Fuel Filter Kit installed

https://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/13_...ilter_kit.html

I am still running the stock front filter and will be inspecting it at each filter change. I see that a front filter delete kit is available, and they simply bypass and remove the front filter housing and disconnect the heater but leave the WIF sensor operational. I would think you could leave the front filter housing in place without the filter if you wish and leave the heater and WIF sensor hooked up, but personally I would prefer to have the extra filtration left in place.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Likes watersupply189, Gerald636, SyN liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast