Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  152
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Secondary Fuel Filter Question

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Secondary Fuel Filter Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald636 View Post
    Yes mine looks the same I have just over 30K now on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Interesting question, I have the Cat Fuel Filter Kit installed

https://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/13_...ilter_kit.html

I am still running the stock front filter and will be inspecting it at each filter change. I see that a front filter delete kit is available, and they simply bypass and remove the front filter housing and disconnect the heater but leave the WIF sensor operational. I would think you could leave the front filter housing in place without the filter if you wish and leave the heater and WIF sensor hooked up, but personally I would prefer to have the extra filtration left in place.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We can get you in the Fleece delete kit and Fleece big line kit cheaper than that.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Thanks timshooter40 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Last time I checked, the Donaldson Blue was rated at 2 micron. I've used then since they came out. Easier for me to get than the Cat and cost less. Both are good filters.
    Sorry typed the wrong filter spec the Donald blue is 4 and the cat is 2.

These 2 are the best you can use.

Other filters don’t come close to efficiency.

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I have the black market performance kit and I use fleetguard fuel and water seperator. .02 micron for fuel and I buy them by the case . Split them with neighbor as he too has cummins
    $8.00 a piece for oil filters and $ 22 for fuel and WS. I can't find anything better or cheaper and cummins recommend fleetguard.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

7. Likes watersupply189, Gerald636, AK Bob liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post
    I have the black market performance kit and I use fleetguard fuel and water seperator. .02 micron for fuel and I buy them by the case . Split them with neighbor as he too has cummins
    $8.00 a piece for oil filters and $ 22 for fuel and WS. I can't find anything better or cheaper and cummins recommend fleetguard.
    Which fleetguard fuel water separator do you use. Is it the stock one used by the factory or something else?

9. Likes cbitt, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

This is the exact kit I have. Been running it now little after I bought my truck. I use to change the under hood filter every other fuel filter change now I haven’t in last three and it still looks new.

11. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    We can get you in the Fleece delete kit and Fleece big line kit cheaper than that.
    What is the purpose of the delete other than getting rid of the under hood filter?

Like Bob said he runs it for added filtration and now I see his point.

So I check it every filter change and just keep on running it.

12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Yes mine looks the same I have just over 30K now on mine.

What is the purpose of the delete other than getting rid of the under hood filter?

Like Bob said he runs it for added filtration and now I see his point.

So I check it every filter change and just keep on running it.

At some point it becomes a restriction.

As time goes on and your fuel pump gets weaker it'll become harder for it to push fuel through 3 filters.

The OEM pump is weak on a brand new truck, like 3-6 psi at WOT weak.

IMO it's potentially playing with fire but then again, it's only my opinion.

Keep us posted!

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I agree with Joe: Thus the reason I stopped using the Ridiculously High Priced (Fleetguard FS5300) up front - even though they have never really posted actual factual data showing it to be a 3 micron Absolute @ 99% filter.

I swapped from the KOFIL filter kit to the below set up - I only wanted 1 filter doing most of the bulk filtering -
    The rear water separator has it's main job to do - with only (hopefully) filtering the larger 15-20 micron particles (First Pass)
    The Secondary Filter (Donaldson DBF5817) is the work horse - Hopefully filtering most of the 3-4 micron particles Absolute @ 99%.
    The Polisher Filter Up front will hopefully catch any particles larger then 5 microns - If any get passed the DBF5817 - (Which most know it's very possible) it's not a perfect world.

I will run the Fleetguard FS43255 up front = More of a True 5 to 7 micron Absolute @ 99% ---> Up Front (Some Restriction)
    I run the Fleetguard FS20089 or WIX WF10112 or Mopar 68197867AB-001 (Water Separator Filter) = More closer to a 15-20 microns Absolute @ 99% ---> Rear (The Least Restriction)

I'll let the Donaldson DBF5817 do the bulk of the filtering = rated at a 3 or 4 microns absolute @ 99% -----> Rear (Most Restriction) - Due to the more advanced Synteq XP media = Increased Flow is achieved.

Is this set up going to shorten the life of the in tank fuel pump?
    Only time will tell -- but I know I am running @ least 1 - True Actual 3-4 micron Absolute @ 99% filter.
    Yes running a 3 filter filtering system is a bit more costly (1 more filter) but I don't have to change the front (Polisher) filter near as often.
    I feel a 6.7L in stock form with no programmer has much better odds of not having a future failure due to overworking and fuel starvation to the injectors (Due to Multiple restrictive in-line filters) - compared to a programmed 6.7L loaded with high HP tunes.

Most might disagree - but that's fine - I'm still a believer in the Multi-Pass is the highest quality filtration.

Note: I do think this CAT filter has been proved to actually be a 4micron Absolute @ 99% - & - a 2micron absolute @ 95%.
    The Donaldson Blue & CAT are pretty much Identical when comparing Micron Rating @ a True Absolute @ 99%.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

14. Likes Gerald636, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    I agree with Joe: Thus the reason I stopped using the Ridiculously High Priced (Fleetguard FS5300) up front - even though they have never really posted actual factual data showing it to be a 3 micron Absolute @ 99% filter.

I swapped from the KOFIL filter kit to the below set up - I only wanted 1 filter doing most of the bulk filtering -
    The rear water separator has it's main job to do - with only (hopefully) filtering the larger 20 micron particles (First Pass)
    The Secondary Filter (Donaldson DBF5817) is the work horse - Hopefully filtering most of the 3-4 micron particles Absolute @ 99%.
    The Polisher Filter FS43255 - Up front will hopefully catch any particles larger then 5 microns - If any get passed the DBF5817 - (Which most know it's very possible) it's not a perfect world.

I switched to the Fleetguard FS43255 = More of a True 5 to 10 micron Absolute @ 99% ---> Up Front
    I run the Fleetguard FS20089 or Mopar 68197867AB-001 (Water Separator Filter) = More closer to a 15-20 micron Absolute @ 99% ---> Rear
    I let the Donaldson DBF5817 do the bulk of the filtering = rated at a 3 or 4 micron absolute @ 99% -----> Rear

Is this set up going to shorten the life of the in tank fuel pump?
    Only time will tell -- but I know I am running a True Actual 3-4 micron Absolute @ 99% filter.
    Yes running a 3 filter filtering system is a bit more costly (1 more filter) but I don't have to change the front (Polisher) filter near as often.

Most might disagree - but that's fine - I'm still a believer in the Multi-Pass is the highest quality filtration.
    So you still run the filter under the hood along with the factor F/W separator and the Donaldson.

This filter change I’m about to do I’m going to do a amp draw on the tank pump and see where I’m at now before and after my filter change.

I know for a fact I’m sitting a little over 30K on the filter under the hood.

16. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast