Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Woes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Dashboard Woes

Anybody experience your dash gauges randomly fluttering on and off?

I want to confirm my suspicions.

Please quote me.

I haven't been well and not spending much time on the internet.

Thanks

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Thomas1960, Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Dashboard Woes

Polarco,

Not sure on your early 3rd gen but my 2002 I had this happen at first when I drove on a surface that vibrated the truck.

I took apart the dash and I discovered the plug that the dash instrument circuit plug was working its way out.

Cleaned it used dielectric grease and all was good.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

4. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Anybody experience your dash gauges randomly fluttering on and off?

I want to confirm my suspicions.

Please quote me.

I haven't been well and not spending much time on the internet.

Thanks
    @Polaraco see @DIESELWRKS post above.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Polarco,

Not sure on your early 3rd gen but my 2002 I had this happen at first when I drove on a surface that vibrated the truck.

I took apart the dash and I discovered the plug that the dash instrument circuit plug was working its way out.

Cleaned it used dielectric grease and all was good.
    I suspected that or a bad circuit board.

I guess I'm looking for someone to fix it.

LOL I've just been running back and forth to doctors.

Truck sat in the hospital parking lot for 11 days.

Too cold and it's annoying.

When I climb out of this nightmare, it will be spring.

Thanks Bud

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I suspected that or a bad circuit board.

I guess I'm looking for someone to fix it.

LOL I've just been running back and forth to doctors.

Truck sat in the hospital parking lot for 11 days.

Too cold and it's annoying.

When I climb out of this nightmare, it will be spring.

Thanks Bud
    Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks watersupply189, Polaraco, Murph thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Well here we go

To start with, I had a bad ABS sensor on my RF wheel. It was bad because I rushed through installing it. It was January, Cold, windy, snow flurries, and of coarse, My back was in bad shape. Last summer I asked someone to change the sensor for me, giving him a new one. At the time, the ODP port was working so it was diagnosed. When he went in to the wheel, he discovered I pinched the wire somewhere. My bad. No excuses. That person freed the wire, the outer insulation was broken open and you could see copper through the split. When I got the truck, the ABS light was out.

Several weeks later the ABS warning came back on but would go out. This went on for a couple of weeks. Then the gauges started fluttering randomly. It was pretty bad. All the lights and gauges just kept going on and off. The ODP port was not functioning either. This meant it had to be fixed manually. At this point, I was afraid the truck was going to leave me hanging and stopped driving it. So I started to investigate, but the weather went bad. I also had another operation. When time and the weather cooperated, I would start poking around, then started to go deeper into the systems. Finally this March I had a big break in the weather and started to tear into everything. I though I had it narrowed down to the TIPM. I removed it and broke it down to every board. No corrosion or bad contacts. I took the C130 connector apart too. That's the big block of wire behind the master cylinder. That was a challenge because the bolt head rotted off. You can't take that block apart unless you back the bolt out. Anyway, I got the bolt out and found nothing.

We're up to 9 months later, I was moving the truck. I started it and the dash was operating normal. As soon as I moved the truck the gauge would start flashing. So I started to go to the wheels, starting at the right front. Low and behold, it turned out the sensor was never changed. He told me he did change it. He didn't even have the courtesy of returning the new sensor to me. That's 70 BUCKS! So all this time I assumed a repair was done and it was not.

Needless to say, I'm pissed

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I would be pissed too!

You can’t get good help nowadays.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

14. Likes AK Bob, Murph liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sorry you had to go through all that.

Hard to get any good reliable help these days.

I guess it’s sad but true, if you want anything done right you have to do it yourself.

16. Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I would be pissed too!

You can’t get good help nowadays.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Sorry you had to go through all that.

Hard to get any good reliable help these days.

I guess it’s sad but true, if you want anything done right you have to do it yourself.

Yup! Everytime I send this thing out, it comes back messed up.

Example. In the middle of February I had a wheel bearing go bad. I sent it out. Simple job. Instead of the guy using a socket and ratchet, he used an impact gun. Normally that would be fine IF there was sufficient room for the gun to go square on the bolt. 4 months later the bearing went bad again, warranty issue. So I began to do the job myself. Knuckle head rounded off the 4 bolts. It's a good thing I have large extractors.

In this case, it was a friend of mine who borrowed my truck for 7 weeks! There was more than just this I was disappointed about. We're not talking now

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Murph liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I don't think he realizes the danger of being half assed

20. Likes watersupply189, Murph liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast