Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE ValveBody Upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

68RFE ValveBody Upgrades

With all the questions related to valve body upgrades, I figured while building one; I’d snap some pictures to show what gets fixed and upgraded on 68RFE valve bodies.

I know a lot take pride in doing things yourself.

There are some kits out there to “build” a valve body, but just replacing accumulators and adding a separator plate doesn’t solve much.

As nice as these kits look, these kits don’t address the biggest issue that plagues these valve bodies.

The solenoid switch valve.

Honestly, I don’t see much wear in accumulator bores on the anodized valve bodies.

First, I never use the bonded separator plates since I have seen the bonded gasket separate and end up in the filter.

This particular valve body came out of my personal truck.

I pulled it out at 16k miles and put in one I had built previously.

Just stating the miles so you can see how early these valve body wear.

I vacuum check the solenoid switch valve and the end plugs to see if they were worn at all.

When the ssv bore wears, it lets fluid leak past the valve and will lightly apply the clutch pack just enough to drag it and wear the overdrive clutches prematurely.

Those billet accumulators and shiny channel plate that come in these do it yourself kits do nothing to help with this issue.

All of these readings are fail readings in my book; the last one is shallow.

All of these spots should pull 20in of vacuum or more.

Now, this valve body worked when it was in my truck, likely because the bores were still around and hadn’t worn yet into an oval.

Once they wear, this would have resulted in an overdrive clutch failure.

So as you can see, just cause your valve body is low mileage doesn’t mean anything.

The next set of pics is setting up the valve body and reaming the valve body for an oversized solenoid switch valve.

To ream the solenoid switch valve, you have to use a special jig to center the reamer.

After reaming and installing the oversized solenoid switch valve, I re vacuum check the ssv.

I forgot to take a pic of the spool valve after reading, but just like the other two spots, it is well above 20in a vacuum after reaming.

I flat sand the upper valve body and reinstall either the original or a new separator plate.

I don’t use bonded separator plates as I’ve seen many flake off and end up in the filter and pump.

I drill and tap for extra bolts on the accumulator plate, replace the plastic accumulators and add a billet channel plate to eliminate cross leaks.

This is what all the big names and many of your local transmission shops are capable of doing.

It’s not magic or proprietary to one company; I’m not saying names.

Just a disclaimer this post is for information only.

I’m not a vendor here, and I don’t plan on becoming one.

I build transmissions locally and have more than enough to keep me busy, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE ValveBody Upgrades

Great info - thanks for sharing!!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for taking the time to share this!

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Excellent writeup! Thanks so much for sharing.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Likes SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

For taking time to Share & PICS.
    I'm learning more & more every visit - from all of You!
    Even though I would never tackle this job myself - It's all is in my best interest to pay close attention.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Don't you have to run a Bonded Separator plate to increase line pressure properly?

I know you can increase it without it but won't that cause problems?

I tried installing a DNJ & Sonnax Billet Valve body kit, definitely gave me insight that you really need to be patient with transmission parts.

As you mentioned I wanted those Oversized solenoid switch valve & end plugs so that way I never have to worry about it.

Ended up with a built one from a local transmission shop since I didn't trust my own work..

All valve bores are vacuum checked for proper sealing/ valve body function
    New solenoid pack
    DNJ billet aluminum channel plate
    SSV bore updated with Sonnax service valve (a common wear area)
    Sonnax accumulator plate upgrade with additional hardware (a known design flaw on the 68RFE - this valve body can prevent catastrophic transmission failure)
    Sonnax billet accumulators with added sealing rings - prevents side loading and enhances accumulator travel
    Flat sanded to ensure there are no cross leaks

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    Don't you have to run a Bonded Separator plate to increase line pressure properly?

I know you can increase it without it but won't that cause problems?

I tried installing a DNJ & Sonnax Billet Valve body kit, definitely gave me insight that you really need to be patient with transmission parts.

As you mentioned I wanted those Oversized solenoid switch valve & end plugs so that way I never have to worry about it.

Ended up with a built one from a local transmission shop since I didn't trust my own work..

All valve bores are vacuum checked for proper sealing/ valve body function
    New solenoid pack
    DNJ billet aluminum channel plate
    SSV bore updated with Sonnax service valve (a common wear area)
    Sonnax accumulator plate upgrade with additional hardware (a known design flaw on the 68RFE - this valve body can prevent catastrophic transmission failure)
    Sonnax billet accumulators with added sealing rings - prevents side loading and enhances accumulator travel
    Flat sanded to ensure there are no cross leaks
    The bonded plate helps with less than perfect surface flatness.

Its not needed even with higher pressures as long as both surfaces are flat.

A lot of people use them, I’ve used plenty myself.

After seeing a couple that the bonded gasket came apart I talked to a couple other builders. Found out they had experienced the same thing and have been using stock separator plates.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Okay good info, as far as filtering goes have you tested or played with the Suncoast 68RFE zero cavitation filter kit?

Just saw it when I was looking up basic info and haven't found any reviews on it.

My other question is do you think that transmission support case brace is worth it?

Pic of filter kit.

2.jpg

Synergy Steering brace, Draglink, & Tie Rod, Thuren front leveling coils & Track bar, 5160 Bilstein Shocks, Banks CAI intake, LED everything, projector headlights, dieselfuelfilterkits, Steelcraft Line-x Door Sills, Elevation Front Bumper with Line-x Pro.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CDIJeff View Post
    Okay good info, as far as filtering goes have you tested or played with the Suncoast 68RFE zero cavitation filter kit?

Just saw it when I was looking up basic info and haven't found any reviews on it.

My other question is do you think that transmission support case brace is worth it?

Pic of filter kit.

2.jpg
    I like the suncoast filter set up.

I’ve used it on a few transmissions now.

Places the filter lower in the pan and the filter is around $8 to replace vs $50 for the oe filter.

I’m going to put one in mine when I change the fluid again.

In my honest opinion the case brace is not needed, now with that being said I did install one on my truck.

16. Thanks hrd2kdnp thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

Anybody else have experience with the Suncoast Zero Cav kit? Looking at my valve body build in short order here and thinking I might go that route along with the larger spin on filter from PPE. I have also heard from my local builder that the bonded separator plates have been separating and causing failures. They highly recommend their process of machining the valve body flat with their CBN surfacer to less than 30ra.

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast