Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Reached 36psi With RaceME Ultra

1. Top Of Page | #1

Turbo Reached 36psi With RaceME Ultra

First off let me say I am a new member here want to say thank you to everyone who has given me a warm welcome. I have used the search function to try to answer my question but could not find an answer.

Scenario:
    Decided to finally for the first time do a very basic run on a straight flat strip of empty road out in the country. I had my Raceme Ultra tuner (Box Tunes Only) set to 60hp duration, 1850 pressure (default), 23* timing (default), mild spool, and mild torque. I made sure the truck was rolling and in second gear when I got on it. I made sure to get off of it before the convertor locked up in 4th gear. Everything seemed fine and didn't notice any smoke, shifting was fine according to the parameters (example: tq slip was under 900) and the truck boogied on nicely with the additional power. I have a factory 68RFE with the basic trans pressure increase provided by the raceme box tune. Temp was just above freezing, sunny day and clear. Truck was totally warmed up and not driven hard at all before that.

Question:

I noticed that the turbo PSI highest value recorded read 36PSI. Now I know I am new, but I also know that this is WAY to high for the stock VGT to be at (even if it is for a brief split second). I am so glad it was only a very quick romp on the pedal and that I got out of it in 4th.

Can anyone think of why the turbo would be at such a high PSI in this situation? I don't have head studs and don't want to blow a HG or Turbo. Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S.- I am going to be in contact with DRD to get a custom tune done because this freaked me out. I do not drive my truck hard and just wanted to see what kind of power the 60hp felt like. I didn't run it from standstill and also only pushed it from 2nd to 4th before lockup.

I am now pretty freaked out about stepping into the throttle any more than 50% after seeing that number regarding the PSI on the VGT.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. Likes timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Reached 36psi With RaceME Ultra

I’m pretty sure anything the turbo can’t handle gets blown out the wastegate that’s what it’s there for.

4. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

I don't think the Holset VGT on the 6.7 has a waste gate on it. I could be wrong but I read this about VGT's.

"What are the Benefits of Variable Geometry Turbochargers (VGT)?

Variable geometry turbos do not have a wastegate to regulate exhaust flow. The need for a wastegated turbo is to balance the air fuel ratio. Having a wastegate lets the turbocharger act like a big turbo at low RPM, and a standard size turbo at higher RPM"

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I could be wrong. Anyone else have an answer?

6. Thanks Badger2078 thanked for this post
    Likes Badger2078, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mimic View Post
    I’m pretty sure anything the turbo can’t handle gets blown out the wastegate that’s what it’s there for.
    I'm not mechanically friendly on the dodge or ram engines. Haven't had to touch a cummins yet, But...wastegate?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post
    I don't think the Holset VGT on the 6.7 has a waste gate on it. I could be wrong but I read this about VGT's.

"What are the Benefits of Variable Geometry Turbochargers (VGT)?

Variable geometry turbos do not have a wastegate to regulate exhaust flow. The need for a wastegated turbo is to balance the air fuel ratio. Having a wastegate lets the turbocharger act like a big turbo at low RPM, and a standard size turbo at higher RPM"

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I could be wrong. Anyone else have an answer?
    My point exactly

9. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Also. I have reached 36 psi multiple times. Including in stock form. Less so since parts fell off. On a heavy tow b4 deleting and I mean class A territory the truck would maintain 34psi. And peak 36psi on a grade at 32000 lbs

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Well isn’t that some shï?

I coulda sworn there was a wastegate on my turbo.

I wouldn’t worry regardless of no wastegate you should be ok sorry for haven mispoken

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post
    First off let me say I am a new member here want to say thank you to everyone who has given me a warm welcome. I have used the search function to try to answer my question but could not find an answer.

Scenario:
    Decided to finally for the first time do a very basic run on a straight flat strip of empty road out in the country. I had my Raceme Ultra tuner (Box Tunes Only) set to 60hp duration, 1850 pressure (default), 23* timing (default), mild spool, and mild torque. I made sure the truck was rolling and in second gear when I got on it. I made sure to get off of it before the convertor locked up in 4th gear. Everything seemed fine and didn't notice any smoke, shifting was fine according to the parameters (example: tq slip was under 900) and the truck boogied on nicely with the additional power. I have a factory 68RFE with the basic trans pressure increase provided by the raceme box tune. Temp was just above freezing, sunny day and clear. Truck was totally warmed up and not driven hard at all before that.

Question:

I noticed that the turbo PSI highest value recorded read 36PSI. Now I know I am new, but I also know that this is WAY to high for the stock VGT to be at (even if it is for a brief split second). I am so glad it was only a very quick romp on the pedal and that I got out of it in 4th.

Can anyone think of why the turbo would be at such a high PSI in this situation? I don't have head studs and don't want to blow a HG or Turbo. Any input is greatly appreciated.

P.S.- I am going to be in contact with DRD to get a custom tune done because this freaked me out. I do not drive my truck hard and just wanted to see what kind of power the 60hp felt like. I didn't run it from standstill and also only pushed it from 2nd to 4th before lockup.

I am now pretty freaked out about stepping into the throttle any more than 50% after seeing that number regarding the PSI on the VGT.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Stock VGT is out of MAP at 32 psi so anything more is not actually forcing “good” air or making power.

Drive pressure is a concern once getting up into those numbers - drive pressure is about 1.5x so 36psi is about 54psi drive pressure. Anything around 50psi is playing with fire IMO.

There is no waste gate on the VGT chargers. Some fixed blades will have them to help prevent over spinning them.

I wouldn’t worry about your truck - It’s totally normal to see that. Next time you’re into the fun pedal if you think of it when you’re to then floor try and feather out a touch at 30psi or so. Like mentioned several people do push that psi and don’t have issue so do what you’re comfortable with!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

I don’t get 36psi all the time, but once in a while. Seems to do it more in certain situations, like when it’s cold outside. Or there’s more of a load on it. Haven’t had any problems here, also I don’t tow heavy or floor it for long periods of time.

also the stock sensor maxes out at 36, I think. I got a mechanical gauge for that reason and still don’t see above 36psi ever.

15. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
    I don’t get 36psi all the time, but once in a while. Seems to do it more in certain situations, like when it’s cold outside. Or there’s more of a load on it. Haven’t had any problems here, also I don’t tow heavy or floor it for long periods of time.

also the stock sensor maxes out at 36, I think. I got a mechanical gauge for that reason and still don’t see above 36psi ever.
    Stock sensor is good up to 36 psi yes

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Likes timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast