Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Turbo Actuator Replacement?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Actuator Replacement?

Hey guys, I was a free member and now last week lifetime member.

I still don’t know how to navigate this site, so I am sorry if I’m posting in the wrong spot.

I’ll figure it out.

The scary thing is I’m a bridge-builder, LOL.

A couple of months ago, my turbo went out with a Bully Dog on it, and I just ordered a City Diesel Actuator from Geno's (back ordered).

From you guys (THANK YOU ALL), I learned to check and see if turbo gear makes full swing, and it does.

13 Laramie Cummins with 148k, and my turbo actually has swing lines on both sides.

What worries me is that it doesn’t seem to swing as I see in the videos where it looks super easy to click it.

Mine can be done with a thumb and forefinger, but not like some guys click it with the tip of one finger.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by DeanP1093; 01-03-2021 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Actuator Replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP1093 View Post
    Hey guys, I was a free member and now last week lifetime member.

I still don’t know how to navigate this site, so I am sorry if I’m posting in the wrong spot.

I’ll figure it out.

The scary thing is I’m a bridge-builder, LOL.

A couple of months ago, my turbo went out with a Bully Dog on it, and I just ordered a City Diesel Actuator from Geno's (back ordered).

From you guys (THANK YOU ALL), I learned to check and see if turbo gear makes full swing, and it does.

13 Laramie Cummins with 148k, and my turbo actually has swing lines on both sides.

What worries me is that it doesn’t seem to swing as I see in the videos where it looks super easy to click it.

Mine can be done with a thumb and forefinger, but not like some guys click it with the tip of one finger.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Yes, ideally you should be able to move he gear from stop to stop smoothly with one finger.

Sounds like you may have some carbon build up on the turbo vane.

I would suggest moving the gear back and forth many times to see if you can free it up any more.

I haven’t had to do this but I did read somewhere you could try removing the exhaust down pipe and spray Intake Valve cleaner into the turbo from the exhaust side while moving the gear back and forth from stop to stop.

Then flush it out with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

The smoother and easier you can move that gear the better.

The good news is your new City Diesel Actuator has twice the torque than the stock actuator.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank you for that advice and yes I did see that it has more torque.

Hopefully, it works.

6. Likes SyN, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP1093 View Post
    Thank you for that advice and yes I did see that it has more torque.

Hopefully, it works
    Hopefully it will if it gives you codes like the dreaded P226C then you still have the option of installing your new and improved actuator on a new turbo.

Please keep us posted.

I am running the City Diesel Actuator and very pleased with it.

The only down side is if you have purchased the whistle sound tune it won’t work properly with your new actuator.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

No, the truck is in stock.

Well, I had a Bully Dog emissions intact but only had it on for about a month when the turbo went.

The truck has been minimal use for a couple of months now because I have a company truck and my wife used it now and then just to clean houses in our community
    And then I found this site (woohoo) and now I want to get “rid of” unnecessary stuff under the hood and have Ray “advise “me
    I can’t wait.

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post