Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  154
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 68RFE Transmission

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Best 68RFE Transmission

Redhorse seems best bang for your buck from my bit of research.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

2. Likes Chrisn162001, BenM_SR, SKIBBEE4thGEN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    Redhorse seems best bang for your buck from my bit of research.
    anybody care to bring this thread back to light since I’m trying to decide who to go with right now. Red horse has been my first. It’s just a little harder for me when I read reviews “oh I’ve got 15,000 miles in a couple years.”
    hell. I do 30k every year LOL. I need a 100,000 miles transmission. Not a 20,000 mile one. Or one that’s going to need a refresh every winter ??

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

My 68RFE is stock other than valve body mods and DRD tune.... When it dies there is no way I am putting thousands of dollars into another 68RFE... The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind..... I'll spend the money once and either Allison swap or G56 swap. I'm not going any farther out of my way to make this mini van transmission survive behind a Cummins.

I know everyone seems to like to bag on ATS but they offer an Allison swap package with a 5yr or 500k mile warranty and what seems like some pretty cool innovations to make the swap seamless... I don't have any 1st hand experience, just saw their YT video which is admittedly... a sales ad...

But in the video they show the difference in size between the components in an Allison vs a 68RFE... Holy ****.... The difference is STARK. Allison clutches, input and output shafts, fluid pump.. Everything is HUGE... Again the 68RFE belongs in a mini van or a 1/2 ton at best.

5. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    My 68RFE is stock other than valve body mods and DRD tune.... When it dies there is no way I am putting thousands of dollars into another 68RFE... The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind..... I'll spend the money once and either Allison swap or G56 swap. I'm not going any farther out of my way to make this mini van transmission survive behind a Cummins.

I know everyone seems to like to bag on ATS but they offer an Allison swap package with a 5yr or 500k mile warranty and what seems like some pretty cool innovations to make the swap seamless... I don't have any 1st hand experience, just saw their YT video which is admittedly... a sales ad...

But in the video they show the difference in size between the components in an Allison vs a 68RFE... Holy ****.... The difference is STARK. Allison clutches, input and output shafts, fluid pump.. Everything is HUGE... Again the 68RFE belongs in a mini van or a 1/2 ton at best.
    I looked into an Allison swap and it is like double the cost of even the best Revmax 68.

Also pretty complicated.

The right components in a 68 can be fantastic - just takes money and Dodge cheaped out on the stock ones.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rc51con View Post
    anybody care to bring this thread back to light since I’m trying to decide who to go with right now. Red horse has been my first. It’s just a little harder for me when I read reviews “oh I’ve got 15,000 miles in a couple years.”
    hell. I do 30k every year LOL. I need a 100,000 miles transmission. Not a 20,000 mile one. Or one that’s going to need a refresh every winter ??
    What kind of power do you need? Stock? DRD tuned on stock parts?

Do you need it to tow?

Highway miles?

Race/street truck?

7. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Watching.

2015 / RAM / 2500 CTD-68RFE-4wd / 3.42 / stock tire size / Silver / Bighorn

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post

I completely feel ya LOL.

I absolutely agree that leaving the 68 behind me forever would be the best option.

I did contact my local shop and am currently waiting for their quote on putting an Allison in the truck.

I'm just in a dogshit position.

I had a hunch the trans was a lemon/soft in just the first 2000 miles.

One hundred people told me not to worry.

You're overthinking it.

You're stock power blah blah blah.

So I flashed it, and I don't feel like wasting my time trying to return it to OEM to have the dealership.

The local shop seems to think they can get me into an Allison for under 15k.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    What kind of power do you need? Stock? DRD tuned on stock parts?

Do you need it to tow?

Highway miles?

Race/street truck?
    Years down the road, s464 on a second-gen manifold, I guess.

600-650whp would be plenty, and I don’t need a race truck, just something enjoyable.

It’s just a driving truck that will see 30-40k a year.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity, I think I read somewhere that a particular tuner (this isn’t the private section, so I’m not saying names) was the only authorized tuner for Revmax transmissions?

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rc51con View Post
    Out of curiosity, I think I read somewhere that a particular tuner (this isn’t the private section, so I’m not saying names) was the only authorized tuner for Revmax transmissions?
    I believe so, if not then highly respected by them.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Be DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast