Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18" Or 20" Rims?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

18" Or 20" Rims?

I'm just toying around with the idea of adding some rims to my truck, but i don't know if i should look at 18" or 20" rims.

Is there any performance difference or ride quality between the two sizes?

I also pull a fair amount, so are the wheels going to hold up compared to my stock steel rims?

Also, what about offset?

Any recommendations?

As I said, I'm just toying around with the idea, but I need to have an idea of what I need to look for.

Thanks

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I have 18” Fuel Vapor rims with a -12mm offset on 35’s.

I’ve had mine for several years with zero issues pulling or otherwise.

I went with 18” because I like the look of a wider sidewall.

It’s a truck not a show toy. LOL

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes SyN, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Here is a pretty well written review: https://roadtraveler.net/20-inch-vs-...els-and-tires/

Might also want to checkout @Custom Offsets gallery.

Last edited by Crshanta; 12-31-2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Dang autocorrect correct it to idiot writing.
    2018 srw 3500

6. Thanks watersupply189, timshooter40, Shusaim thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Re: 18" Or 20" Rims?

I have 20's and personally I think they look better but that boils down to preference and budget. To be honest you are going to have a better ride, more options and tires will be less expensive with the 18's. When I was shopping around it seemed like the 18 inch tires were alot more affordable. I went with factory size 285/65/20 Toyo M/T's and they were $70 to $100 a tire more than if I went with the factory size 18's.

2024 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4l Hemi
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

8. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Depending on size of tire. Personally I like 20s with a 34”+ tire.

Towing you’ll be fine with 20s if you choose just make sure you get load range E.

18s look good with a 31” tire IMO so just look at a bunch of pictures and see what sizes the wheels are and tires.

We have access to rims and tires as well so let us know how we can help here at Dudes!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

18" Or 20" Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasm12 View Post
    I'm just toying around with the idea of adding some rims to my truck, but i don't know if i should look at 18" or 20" rims.

I also pull a fair amount, so are the wheels going to hold up compared to my stock steel rims?

Also, what about offset?

Any recommendations?

As I said, I'm just toying around with the idea, but I need to have an idea of what I need to look for.

Thanks
    17s/18s with 35"+ is my preferred look.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Thanks TexNeck, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasm12 View Post

Also, what about offset?

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    20” rims love mine

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Likes SyN, watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    17s/18s with 35"+ is my preferred look.
    I went from 20” stock to 17” aftermarket after researching CJC off-road and thuren/carli and what they recommend. The extra rubber on the sidewalls helps absorb small bumps on the road better, especially with lower PSI. Haven’t jumped on the suspension yet, LOL. But I will some day.

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

18" Or 20" Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
    I went from 20” stock to 17” aftermarket after researching CJC off-road and thuren/carli and what they recommend. The extra rubber on the sidewalls helps absorb small bumps on the road better, especially with lower PSI. Haven’t jumped on the suspension yet, LOL. But I will some day.
    Yep, 17s with 37x13.50s is where it's at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    I have 20's and personally I think they look better but that boils down to preference and budget. To be honest you are going to have a better ride, more options and tires will be less expensive with the 18's. When I was shopping around it seemed like the 18 inch tires were alot more affordable. I went with factory size 285/65/20 Toyo M/T's and they were $70 to $100 a tire more than if I went with the factory size 18's.

this! When i had my f150 and was due for tires, the price difference for doing a stock sized tire for it on a 20" rim v a 17" rim was insane. I did the math and if i had bought a take off set of 17" rims from another f150, and ditched the 20s, i would have paid for the rims completely in just 2 sets of tires. Never ended up doing it because when i needed tires (two stopped holding air) i couldn't find any take offs that were reasonably priced, and then i obviously ditched the f150 because it was junk LOL

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

17. Likes watersupply189, Aboshan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast