Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  77
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Saver Mode

1. Top Of Page | #1

Battery Saver Mode

I'm hoping someone out there has some good info about the issues I'm experiencing.

2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab, daily driven.

When I start in the afternoon to go to work, it's fine.

After it sits for roughly 12 hours when I start (both auto and key) I usually get a Battery Saver Mode warning and none of my beloved heated stuff will turn on.

Sometimes this includes most of the buttons on the touch screen.

If I shut off and re-start, it will either be fine or if the touch screen button weren't grayed out, they will be.

A third re-start usually gets me out of BSM and gets my heated seats and touch screen buttons working.

Dash reads 13V, drops to 11V when the grid heater fires.

OEM batteries were replaced because of this, less than 6 months ago, currently stuck with Optima Red Tops.

Oil and block heater plugged in except to troubleshoot the issue.

Nothing plugged in or turned on in the pickup.

Not willing to pay the dealership for diagnosis just to hear "wE DoN'T kNoW wHaT's WrOnG" or "We can get to it in about 3 months".

Don't have any respectable/experienced diesel shops anywhere near here that I'm aware of.

I'm about to get AllDataDIY and daily the Jeep while I tear into this thing and start replacing stuff.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Battery Saver Mode

Check out this recent discussion to see if it helps.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...Deleting-A-CEL

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg

4. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Check out this recent discussion to see if it helps.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...Deleting-A-CEL

Greg
    I don't think mine goes away, unless it takes longer than 25-45 minutes.

Perhaps I'll check the alternator.

It sure would be a bummer to have to replace it when it's only 4 years old.

I think I have 75k miles on it is all.

Thanks for the link I'll dig deeper in to it.

If push comes to shove I'll stick some battery heaters in there to band aid it.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It seems unlikely to be the alternator at such a young truck unless you have aftermarket accessories putting additional draw on the electrical system causing the alternator to not be able to keep up.

Greg

Greg

7. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

My alternator puts out around 14.1 when charging.

You mentioned yours is putting out 13? I would have it checked and load tested.

Plus load test the batteries individually.

I know you said they are only 6 months old but I’ve seen new batteries go bad in less time.

Keep us posted what you find friend.

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes timshooter40, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'm having the same issue in cold weather.

My truck is plugged in at home with no troubles when I go to start.

When I am at work truck has sat in cold weather for 12 hrs and goes to start.

The truck starts fine, but I get battery saver mode.

I don't have far to drive, so buddy's on this forum helped me figure out I'm not driving a truck far enough for batteries to recover from a cold start and grid heater cycling, heater running, lights on, etc...

My batteries are yr old interstate. I load tested each one, then cleaned both terminals and put it on a charger for 90 min on 30A charge.

This got rid of code ( battery saver) made a huge difference just cleaning battery terminals, even though they did not look dirty at all.

Could you keep us posted on your outcome?

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

11. Thanks watersupply189, Power247, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post

I don't have far to drive, so buddy's on this forum helped me figure out I'm not driving a truck far enough for batteries to recover from a cold start and grid heater cycling, heater running, lights on, etc...

My batteries are yr old interstate. I load tested each one, then cleaned both terminals and put it on a charger for 90 min on 30A charge.

This got rid of code ( battery saver) made a huge difference just cleaning battery terminals, even though they did not look dirty at all.

I still have it on my truck; it gets driven 100 to 400 miles a day, 3 to 5 days a week. (company truck that pulls trailer) at the dealer now with a laundry list of parts they have changed.

2 new batteries, alternator, ECM, PCM, Dash Cluster, BCM, and IBMS, and it's still doing it.

All warranty, and it is crazy.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

These newer trucks need voltage the slightest drop, and bad stuff happens.

I have found that even if your batteries look clean the terminals, they get a gray color to them all the way around the terminal post that will cause V drop.

I clean mine every oil change now.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I still have it on my truck it gets driven 100 to 400 miles a day 3 to 5 days a week. (company truck that pulls trailer) at the dealer now with a laundry list of parts they have changed.

2 new batteries, alternator, ECM, PCM, Dash Cluster, BCM, an IBMS, and its still doing it..... all warranty..... its crazy
    Is there any sign that they will be able to fix your truck?

I know that has to be a pita

2016 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins Deleted

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timshooter40 View Post

Tim: Mine did the same thing a couple of times - sitting at work for 12 hrs during the nights when temps were down below -15*F. (Dam Polar Vortex Crap)

But it never has done it again - I pulled her into the garage when I got home from work & plugged in the Noco G750 every morning - so when I left for work that night, both batteries were fully charged.

That was the only time it had gone into that mode - She had less than 15K miles at that time.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast