Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Blew The Turbo

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I Think I Blew The Turbo

Last night, got a little heavy on the foot going down the highway.

Heard a loud pop and flames coming out of my exhaust.

Oil pressures and temp was fine for a little bit.

All of a sudden I lost all oil pressure so I pulled over and noticed that oil was draining from my entire exhaust pipe.

From everything I read, I blew the turbo.

Looking at a 2nd Gen swap but I wanted to get some opinions before I started dumping a bunch of cash in it (again).

Anyone have any thoughts?

2012 Laramie Megacab 4x4 68RFE "Big Stupid", 4.5 in Rancho Lift, 18 in Procomp Black Stryker
    35 in Toyo M/Ts, Single "Tow" Tune with Trans Tune, EGR Delete; DPF Delete, Custom 4 in Race Pipe (Stock Muffler)
    S&B Intake, Moog Steering Links and U-Joints, Dynatrac Ball Joints, Yukon Free-Spin Kit

2. Thanks watersupply189, Murph thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: I Think I Blew The Turbo

Sounds like it blew.

Any codes thrown?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes AK Bob, Murph, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Sounds like it blew.

Any codes thrown?

2016 Ram 3500 CC 4x4, G56, Dr. DRD medically cured!
    Check engine was already on because of tunes that didnt get rid of O2 sensors after delete.

Just haven't gotten back to my tuner about fixing that. I don't plan on running it anymore until I get it figured out.

I could always dump more oil on it, crank it and see if I can get a code reader on it.

Not sure if it will all be worth it to be honest though.

What else can I do to troubleshoot?

Heard I can take the intake off and check the shaft for play.

Not too sure.

2012 Laramie Megacab 4x4 68RFE "Big Stupid", 4.5 in Rancho Lift, 18 in Procomp Black Stryker
    35 in Toyo M/Ts, Single "Tow" Tune with Trans Tune, EGR Delete; DPF Delete, Custom 4 in Race Pipe (Stock Muffler)
    S&B Intake, Moog Steering Links and U-Joints, Dynatrac Ball Joints, Yukon Free-Spin Kit

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

I think I would check for boost leaks, just in case you have one and oversped the turbo.

A heavy foot shouldn’t blow the turbo. Unless the tuning had the exhaust VGT clamped down.

Even then, the turbo wouldn’t be the weak point.

I would also confirm it’s the turbo leaking oil before spending on a 2nd Gen kit.

If for some reason you hurt the motor itself, and the oil is coming from above the turbo, you wouldn’t want to diminish your funds for a fix on parts that aren’t broken.

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
    I think I would check for boost leaks, just in case you have one and oversped the turbo.

A heavy foot shouldn’t blow the turbo. Unless the tuning had the exhaust VGT clamped down.

Even then, the turbo wouldn’t be the weak point.

I would also confirm it’s the turbo leaking oil before spending on a 2nd Gen kit.

If for some reason you hurt the motor itself, and the oil is coming from above the turbo, you wouldn’t want to diminish your funds for a fix on parts that aren’t broken.
    Know of any links that show how to check for these?

The truck is currently at my house and I would rather not have to tow it to a dealer or shop.

Looked on the tube of you's and found out a couple of things.

I don't have a smoke machine, but what troubleshooting I did has me confident that its the exhaust side shaft seal has failed.

I don't have any blow by, I couldn't find any leaks outside of the turbo, and its all of the oil is coming from my turbo exhaust.

The engine itself did not have a knock or anything. Let me know if there is anything else that can come to mind of other quick things I can do to further troubleshoot but at this point, I am pretty confident.

Last edited by beef_taco; 12-27-2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Did Some Research

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

Quote Originally Posted by beef_taco View Post
    Know of any links that show how to check for these? The truck is currently at my house and I would rather not have to tow it to a dealer or shop.
    I made my own boost lest tester, but you can purchase one. Either way you’ll need an air compressor.

Here’s a thread after a quick search.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...how-to.623182/

Really it doesn’t matter if you find a diesel or gas instruction set.

It’s the same procedure either way.

When I installed the banks ram intake, I did end up having a leak myself.

Turned out I had the gasket folded at the intake side.

Ended up with less boost and slower build up.

If you run the turbo hard, it will over speed and blow itself up.

Luckily I didn’t have damage and fixed it pretty quickly.

As for checking the turbo, you basically will have to pull it off to check that as far as I know, and if you end up going with a 2nd Gen swap, you’d be 50% there for the install either way.

If the oil starts above the turbo from the head you have other problems.

If it’s just from the turbo back, then you’re probably good for the swap.

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
    I made my own boost lest tester, but you can purchase one. Either way you’ll need an air compressor.
    Here’s a thread after a quick search.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...how-to.623182/

Really it doesn’t matter if you find a diesel or gas instruction set. It’s the same procedure either way. When I installed the banks ram intake, I did end up having a leak myself. Turned out I had the gasket folded at the intake side. Ended up with less boost and slower build up. If you run the turbo hard, it will over speed and blow itself up. Luckily I didn’t have damage and fixed it pretty quickly.

as for checking the turbo, you basically will have to pull it off to check that as far as I know. And if you end up going with a 2nd gen swap, you’d be 50% there for the install either way. If the oil starts above the turbo from the head you have other problems. If it’s just from the turbo back, then you’re probably good for the swap.
    Thanks boss, I'll have to look into that.

I to just installed the banks monster ram air intake with a pusher grid heater delete as well when I installed my 60 over injectors.

A leak tester will come in handy to make sure that everything is good on that side.

I updated my last comment and was wondering if you were able to read it over and if you agreed with my conclusion?

13. Likes watersupply189, Murph, timshooter40 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by beef_taco View Post
    Thanks boss, I'll have to look into that.

I to just installed the banks monster ram air intake with a pusher grid heater delete as well when I installed my 60 over injectors.

A leak tester will come in handy to make sure that everything is good on that side.

I updated my last comment and was wondering if you were able to read it over and if you agreed with my conclusion?
    Sounds like you’re probably on the right track.

I’d still pull off the turbo to confirm, but that’s just me.

I have never blown a turbo, so a loud pop seems worrisome.

Although it could be the turbo blowing maybe?

15. Likes watersupply189, Murph, timshooter40 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Sounds like your on track- I may have missed it but were you able to check shaft play?

Usually the “pop” is a boot of sometime busting or letting loose.

Any idea what boost PSI you were pushing?

I’d be glad to get you what you need to fix what’s in there or new turbo route if that’s what you decide.

Just let me know and keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Sounds like your on track- I may have missed it but were you able to check shaft play?

Usually the “pop” is a boot of sometime busting or letting loose.

Any idea what boost PSI you were pushing?

I’d be glad to get you what you need to fix what’s in there or new turbo route if that’s what you decide.

Just let me know and keep us posted
    I couldn't tell you what boost I am pushing but I do have 60% over injectors with the stock turbo and 200K miles on the truck.

Have any recommendations to which 2nd gen swap I should go with?

I have a 5" FLO~PRO just to give you an idea of what to expect from the exhaust side.

I am leaning towards WC but am also looking at evil fab and stainless

18. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast