Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30

Thread: Dying 68RFE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Dying 68RFE

Hey guys, been a member for a while but rarely online.

My 2012 68RFE is dying or should I say dead.

I smoked 4th gear so it's evident.

I have the full tune package with trans tune from DRD diesel and have been amazed by it (and their customer service) A++!.

Honestly, I am surprised the trans has lasted this long.

150k on the drivetrain, deleted, 5-inch exhaust, studded with a new head, S and B intake.

I love the right pedal and I also tow a horse trailer pretty often.

I take extremely good care of my truck with maintenance and warming/cooling it down, but I do drive fast everywhere.

That is not gonna change it's who I am and always have been.

With that being said I have contemplated buying a built 68RFE or building one myself obviously.

10k is not gonna make the wife happy so I'm looking at building it myself.

I have also contemplated the G56 swap, but the slow shifting does not interest me in the slightest.

If anyone has suggestions on buying or doing it myself I'm all ears.

The rebuild does not look bad and since it looks like trans do not last 100k miles it might be the way to go.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Murph thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Dying 68RFE

Doing a trans yourself can be costly. If you don’t get it just right you’ll smoke the new trans.

heck, even in the mechanic world, rebuilding transmissions is considered a specialty. You often need specialized tools, a press and a specific assortment of shims. Also have to know how much pressure to get the shim measurement at times. It’s not like a “I’ll just do my turbo swap” kind of job to take on.

kinda like you wouldn’t just learn to tune your truck to get around paying for a tune. It’s another specialty area.

better to do yourself a favor and get it rebuilt by a professional. Hell, even a cheaper rebuilt stock trans would be better than getting it wrong.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
    Doing a trans yourself can be costly. If you don’t get it just right you’ll smoke the new trans.

heck, even in the mechanic world, rebuilding transmissions is considered a specialty. You often need specialized tools, a press and a specific assortment of shims. Also have to know how much pressure to get the shim measurement at times. It’s not like a “I’ll just do my turbo swap” kind of job to take on.

kinda like you wouldn’t just learn to tune your truck to get around paying for a tune. It’s another specialty area.

better to do yourself a favor and get it rebuilt by a professional. Hell, even a cheaper rebuilt stock trans would be better than getting it wrong.
    Well said Sir, couldn't agree more.

5. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpuncher911 View Post
    Hey guys, been a member for a while but rarely online.

My 2012 68RFE is dying or should I say dead.

I smoked 4th gear so it's evident.

I have the full tune package with trans tune from DRD diesel and have been amazed by it (and their customer service) A++!.

Honestly, I am surprised the trans has lasted this long.

150k on the drivetrain, deleted, 5-inch exhaust, studded with a new head, S and B intake.

I love the right pedal and I also tow a horse trailer pretty often.

I take extremely good care of my truck with maintenance and warming/cooling it down, but I do drive fast everywhere.

That is not gonna change it's who I am and always have been.

With that being said I have contemplated buying a built 68RFE or building one myself obviously.

10k is not gonna make the wife happy so I'm looking at building it myself.

I have also contemplated the G56 swap, but the slow shifting does not interest me in the slightest.

If anyone has suggestions on buying or doing it myself I'm all ears.

The rebuild does not look bad and since it looks like trans do not last 100k miles it might be the way to go.
    Where are you located?

I agree with above about building if it’s not something you are super familiar with. There are some very good 68 builders scattered through out the county. Where abouts are you located?

I would recommend RevMax first and foremost - they have a great product and work with Ray often so he knows what he’s doing (as usual) with those setups.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

Good info Steadly.

Please let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Merry Christmas everybody !

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I am in Az by Kingman. I am looking at maybe getting a unit shipped to me.

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks for advice everyone. Point taken about if I do something wrong on the build. It be a whole lot easier to explain to my better half if the trans has an issue from a builder than me, mainly cause of warranty LOL

12. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Aww shoot I'm consider a manual swap now... decision decisions

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If going down the path of a manual, consider having the trans gone through or a rebuilt one.

Cost is probably about the same, maybe slightly higher for a manual depending on part sourcing.

Since the truck is down, an auto replacement is probably the quickest and most cost effective.

If you look at it this way the stocker lasted 150k miles, so the 550 revmax or similar is likely to get you the same if not more miles.

You could get a crate transmission, then pull apart the core to inspect and learn on prior to sending it for the core charge.

That way when the next one dies, you have a better understanding of what it looks like in there.

There is a YouTube videos that is a couple hours long that review a 68 tear down and rebuild.

2018 srw 3500

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Check out DDP and talk to them about trans sources very good source of info.

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post