Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Allison/ZF Transmission Rumors For Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

Allison/ZF Transmission Rumors For Cummins

Just watched a TFL video that's 10 months old, stating that FCA is looking to switch to one of these transmission and drop aisin.

Has there been any updates?

Will they drop the 68RFE too?

The Aisin in my truck hasn't given me any issues but an Allison does sound sweet.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2. Likes Murph liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

The over/under on this is a medium to strong no.

While a ZF transmission for heavy duty applications exist, presently, it is highly unlikely that we will see a change from the current transmission options.

Additionally, Cummins/FCA have no agreements to do business with Allison and despite Allison's reputation for building incredibly strong transmissions in older model trucks, the reality is that their current offering isn't offering anything that the 68RFE doesn't already provide.

There is little to no use or need for 10 forward speeds in a medium duty truck and shift pattern configuration will likely prevent you from ever seeing those higher gears anyways in most circumstances.

The current ZF 8 speed in the gas engine 2500s is a strong transmission, but it lacks the ability to hold anywhere near the torque put out by the Cummins engine.

If there is to be a transmission change, it won't happen until 2023/2024 when the alleged complete redesign of the heavy duty truck occurs.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Thanks timshooter40 thanked for this post
    Likes timshooter40, Murph liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Well in that case the '16 I have will be staying in the driveway.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6. Likes timshooter40 liked this post