Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant Leak

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Coolant Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    When was the last time the EGR and valve was cleaned?
    I bought the truck used in July with 97k miles on it.

It's at 111k miles now.

I haven't performed any coolant maintenance to it yet, and to my knowledge the EGR hasn't been cleaned.

I let the truck sit overnight, and it was lowish again in the morning when I fired up the truck.

I ended up adding another 3qts to the overflow tank, and it has been running normal temps ever since.

Ran all over creation yesterday with it, never got anywhere above 205*, and the coolant level has stayed the same.

I am off work until the 30th due to vacation and auto industry shutting down during the holidays.

I will check it again in a few when I want to start running errands.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    I bought the truck used in July with 97k miles on it.

It's at 111k miles now.

I haven't performed any coolant maintenance to it yet, and to my knowledge the EGR hasn't been cleaned.

I let the truck sit overnight, and it was lowish again in the morning when I fired up the truck.

I ended up adding another 3qts to the overflow tank, and it has been running normal temps ever since.

Ran all over creation yesterday with it, never got anywhere above 205*, and the coolant level has stayed the same.

I am off work until the 30th due to vacation and auto industry shutting down during the holidays.

I will check it again in a few when I want to start running errands.
    Well, friend sounds like the blessing of time off is on your side.

I'd be setting some quality time aside and re-baseline, clean the entire EGR system, and investigate before the truck figures out it's Christmas time and needs to get into your wallet, LOL.

Are you familiar with burping the coolant system?

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

4. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

It's good you will have time to check it out.

What we experienced with the big Cummins is if the leak goes on too long it starts causing issues with the DPF filter.

Since those are removable in the big trucks we can have them cleaned for around $250 and re-install them.

I imagine its a bit more expensive to replace one on the 6.7's. I am afraid to look.

2024 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4l Hemi
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

6. Likes AK Bob, Murph, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aboshan View Post
    It's good you will have time to check it out.

What we experienced with the big Cummins is if the leak goes on too long it starts causing issues with the DPF filter.

Since those are removable in the big trucks we can have them cleaned for around $250 and re-install them.

I imagine its a bit more expensive to replace one on the 6.7's. I am afraid to look.
    Replacement will be upwards of 850 plus, and a service to cook the DPF is about the same at least here at the two dodge dealerships I checked here in southern AZ.

8. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I think I actually found out what it could be.

Was able to get a few minutes to really look around.

Found some coolant dripping off the frame.

Had to do some more christmas stuff with the boss, so didn't get totally under the truck but where the dripping was coming from it appears (and I'm hoping) it could be coming from either a hose off the overflow tank, or possibly the tank itself.

I have burped systems in gas motors, would it be safe to assume it would be the same in a diesel?

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

10. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Had to do some more christmas stuff with the boss, so didn't get totally under the truck but where the dripping was coming from it appears (and I'm hoping) it could be coming from either a hose off the overflow tank, or possibly the tank itself.

I have burped systems in gas motors, would it be safe to assume it would be the same in a diesel?
    Sounds like you may be getting close to finding your leak. You may want to pull the passenger side wheelhouse splash shield to get a good look around.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes Murph, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Sent ya a PM bro.

14. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I ended up taking it to a shop to have it worked on.

With my work being shut down for end of the year stuff, and no daycare for the tiny hooman, I just couldn't find the time needed to wrench on it.

Ended up being a coolant line for the heater core being cracked.

Guess all of our ideas were wrong LOL.

So they had to order a new hose and it should be done by Monday.

16. Likes AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Good to hear it was something simple and relatively inexpensive.

2024 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4l Hemi
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

18. Likes BubbaJo, AK Bob, timshooter40 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Agreed!

I was preparing for the worse.

It still isn't 100% cheap, but I will take a $500 repair versus much more expensive ideas that we were tossing around LOL.

20. Likes timshooter40, Abgunnar liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12